To the Edge of Light's Reach (Lux/Katarina)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AerithRayne

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-11-2012

Well, it appears it is true: Katarina's lore is/will be changed. A lot. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2461652

As far as my story goes, good and bad news.
Good news: That is exactly how Lux her: a woman caught between what she wants and desperately trying to be something her home could be proud of.
Bad news: the planned revelation of Kat's mind will have absolutely no impact because now we "knew it from the beginning" :/

Should I continue my story as if the lore change happened or didn't happen? Your thoughts?

Silver of Souls

08-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AerithRayne View Post
Well, it appears it is true: Katarina's lore is/will be changed. A lot. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2461652

As far as my story goes, good and bad news.
Good news: That is exactly how Lux her: a woman caught between what she wants and desperately trying to be something her home could be proud of.
Bad news: the planned revelation of Kat's mind will have absolutely no impact because now we "knew it from the beginning" :/

Should I continue my story as if the lore change happened or didn't happen? Your thoughts?
As a fellow Kat writer, I'm having a similar issue. I'm not entirely sure what to do about this and the situation honestly makes me uncomfortable. I haven't figured out how exactly I want to respond - all of the possible ways I could take it have their own issues.

So, with the note that I'm struggling too, here are my thoughts, which are currently a little difficult to put into words. I might ramble. I do that sometimes. I'll also end up using myself as an example a lot.

We're all writers here, spinning our own stories, expanding the lore, exploring it. I hate the thought of restricting my own creativity. I put a lot into what I do, all good writers do. For non-AU fics, you kind of got to walk the balance between telling the story you intended to tell and following official lore. I have a history of saying "screw the canon!" in my other fandoms where I'm NOT writing serious attempts at full-length stories, but I did make genuine effort to keep my fic in the world, which it sounds like you're doing, as well.

So on the one hand, we have our own ideas and stories, and on the other hand, there's a certain perceived...I'll call it "loyalty" to the guidelines established to the official lore, which, in LoL's case, is kind of weird. It gets ignored, then paid attention to - it moves fluidly and keeps expanding on previous ideas. Meanwhile, we write our stories and things change that might make previously written fanmade stories not completely accurate to the lore.

I can see this being a problem for writers on this forum in the future, since Kat's re-work is only part of the lore overhaul, from what the team's telling us. They're already changing bios. I think readers are just going to have to have a certain understanding that lore changes. Either that, or writers are going to have to change their visions. Neither of those sit well with me, but I'm much more negative about the second one. Of course, I'm biased.

I started my story with a vision of where it would go, what would happen along the way, what my characters would be like, how they would grow, change. Parts of Katarina's new bio seem to coexist my vision, parts are a little frustrating. This is going to happen on the board as old bios are re-worked, and everyone's going to respond differently.

There is a large part of me that says, "I have a story to tell. I have all of these ideas, I love them, I need to get them out, I'm going to put the effort into communicating them the way I want to, this is my method of expressing myself and showing how much this game and its characters have inspired me." I feel pretty attached to Kat after ~8 months of drafting a story from her perspective. The understanding that I have of her was established by her old bio. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of shifting, and I feel that where I am now, it would feel unnatural if I did so.

Your story is still in early stages, so you may feel as though you have a little more breathing room to adjust (Lord knows I completely overhauled entire plot points that I agonized over in my early chapters, but of course, no one but me actually saw my early drafts), or perhaps you already have well-established goals, checkpoints, key scenes, plot twists, etc all planned out. Ultimately, it's up to the writer...if you feel like you can make changes to conform to the new lore comfortably and feel inspired to do so, by all means. If you feel like you can't, I for one won't fault you at all for continuing with your intended vision.

TL;DR: This is going to be a continuing issue here on the fanfiction board, we're going to have to adjust, follow your heart and do what you feel is still true to your expression, because why write fanfiction if it isn't the story you want to be telling? Why write at all, for that matter.

Side note, and I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not, but I'm also noticing that Kat's new lore changes seem pretty unpopular, for whatever that's worth.

AerithRayne

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-11-2012

First, I'd like to say that your rambling made perfect sense, and it did not ramble too much. All of your points and frustratingly true. I think for writers with stories (like yours) with time already poured into its creation should just make a note for the new readers that the story originated with the old bio and plow through to the end. It would be unfair to make you change your whole story, and I like yours exactly the way it is. It would lose a little bit of its feel if you switched. Nor does switching mid story work, because I think the writer would sooner shred the hypothetical paper to pieces before it came to light, lol

Sadly, I had the entire story planned ("well-established goals, checkpoints, key scenes, plot twists, etc "), just not physical chapters as of yet.

I'm glad you replied because I was beginning to wonder if I was just making a big deal out of nothing in my head <3

I also noticed the dislike in the lore as well. I understand wanting to humanize her, but making her royally screw up like that is too countering from the self-assured badass that we adore (in my head, anyway).

Silver of Souls

08-11-2012

Quote:
First, I'd like to say that your rambling made perfect sense, and it did not ramble too much. All of your points and frustratingly true. I think for writers with stories (like yours) with time already poured into its creation should just make a note for the new readers that the story originated with the old bio and plow through to the end. It would be unfair to make you change your whole story, and I like yours exactly the way it is. It would lose a little bit of its feel if you switched. Nor does switching mid story work, because I think the writer would sooner shred the hypothetical paper to pieces before it came to light, lol

Sadly, I had the entire story planned ("well-established goals, checkpoints, key scenes, plot twists, etc "), just not physical chapters as of yet.

I'm glad you replied because I was beginning to wonder if I was just making a big deal out of nothing in my head <3

I also noticed the dislike in the lore as well. I understand wanting to humanize her, but making her royally screw up like that is too countering from the self-assured badass that we adore (in my head, anyway).
One of my problems with just plowing on is that I don't want to seem like, "So they just gave us new information, but I don't like it, so I'm going to pretend it doesn't exist huehuehuehue." Which isn't what I'm doing at all. But like I said, each path has its downsides, and the potential of being misunderstood seems like the best of my options. I forget this sometimes, but writers really should write for themselves above all else, in my opinion. It's your story. You could be using your time and effort on other things, but you're here, writing this, because it makes you happy. And thank you, I'm glad you like mine currently :]

On that note, if you have the entire story pretty much planned, I don't think that I would personally try to totally change everything. I'd love to see where you take this, what you have in mind. Still, as I said, that part's up to you.

Trust me, you haven't, I've been thinking about this practically non-stop since I first heard she was getting a lore change.

...But she's got...so much passion.
Yeah, I tried.
I don't like the new lore, either. I don't like the way it portrays her. It doesn't seem like...her, to me at least. But then, I'm massively attached to current Katarina.

AerithRayne

08-11-2012

Right on the money, you are. If you ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! You put in the hours of free work, you should jolly well enjoy the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver of Souls View Post
...But she's got...so much passion.
I lost it right there and laugh like a retarded seal (clapping motions included). I needed that today. My dearest thanks.

AerithRayne

08-13-2012

I am so sorry for the late update. A storm came through the time and stole my power for about four hours, and the internet did not return until six hours later. Not having air-conditioning was not the most pleasant experiences I've ever had. But enough of that.

The next chapter is up. It is a bit shorter than the last two (1600-something words), but it is a necessary chapter for understanding later stuffs. However, ch. 5 is almost done (though not quite) and it's already beyond 2,000. Forgiven?

Side note: still no word on that pending surprise yet, but I should have a time-frame idea soon. Can't wait to share ^_^

Loso

08-13-2012

Correction to the beginning of the 8th paragrapg

"before he the opportunity to catch up"

Shouldn't it be "he had the opportunity to catch up"?

AerithRayne

08-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhLoso View Post
Correction to the beginning of the 8th paragrapg

"before he the opportunity to catch up"

Shouldn't it be "he had the opportunity to catch up"?
That it should be, friend. Another famous "delete halfway and start a completely new sentence" at its finest.
Thank you so much for pointing this out. MS Word can only notice a few things, and my head sees what it wants to see when proof-reading XD

Loso

08-13-2012

Quote:
That it should be, friend. Another famous "delete halfway and start a completely new sentence" at its finest.
Thank you so much for pointing this out. MS Word can only notice a few things, and my head sees what it wants to see when proof-reading XD
np. Good chapter by the way.

Found these two sentences:

"So you believe they was simply bluffing then?" Should be 'Were' instead of 'was'.

"Who knows, but I be weary of the shadows." Should 'I am' instead of 'I be'.

Also, I feel kinda like a jerk by correcting all these mistakes. Sorry if its causing you trouble.

AerithRayne

08-13-2012

Originally, I had Lux use a random champion name there, but then I didn't want to give false foreshadowing. So I changed it... without fully changing it ... ROFL

Nononono, please don't feel like a jerk. I WANT you to do this. This is why I created the thread! I want people to tell me their thoughts, what I could improve on, and blahblahblah. I'm tired of things being kept in my head because I know I'll never get better without the help of others. You, friend, supply the help. I want a large serving :P