Creative Design AMA - Diana, Scorn of the Moon

First Riot Post
12345678 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RainRandell

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-08-2012

Is the Dark Valkyrie Diana skin the max power of Diana in the presence of the full moon?

swan2swan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-08-2012

Sneaking in a second question: how many elders did Diana kill? Was it a council of five? A council of three? Twelve? Twenty-four? A hundred? That would be a lot of elders...

RiotRunaan

Writer

08-08-2012
2 of 7 Riot Posts

Sorry this took a while to get back to, busy day!

Quote:
FIRST QUESTION: Eve seems to have an upside down heretic mark on her head. Any relation?

Next: Did the ancient Silver Lunari actually advocate the destruction of the sun, or was it more retaliatory against the Solari, where they eventually realized they could not coexist?
No relation.

The Solari and the moon-worshipping culture once coexisted. For a time, neither advocated the destruction of the other, but something went wrong. I don't want to go into a lot of detail as to exactly what happened between them, but the mural in Diana's teaser image does give some clues.

Quote:
I'm curious: Is Diana friends with Vayne? Similar (kinda) motivation, "Silver of the moon", etc.

Plus, she is "The Night Hunter" so that probably has something to do with the moon.
Quote:
Let's talk about our other champion who uses lunar elements somewhat prominently and lives in the night, Vayne, ("silver of the moon) and how she relates to Diana.

Both of them have strayed significantly from the orthodoxy of their societies (Demacia, Solari) to pursue their own aims. Both of them are lone wolves. Both of them are big into the night.

I'm sure they've met in the League of Legends, but outside that, do they have any interaction in the Institute of War? Does Diana have any particular respect for Vayne given that she uses some kind of toxic metal possibly empowered by the moon and works in the night a lot?
Vayne's motivation is to cull dark magic from the world, wherever it might hide. Without knowing much of Diana's backstory, I don't think Vayne would have an easy time swallowing the fact that she murdered the Solari elders. Given time, however, Vayne might sympathize with Diana, and Diana would respect the Night Hunter.

Quote:
will she be leading an assault on the iron solari any time soon to encounter leona? if so will there be an in game event similar to noxia vs iona?
The Iron Solari aren't canon (just the Solari--the Iron Solari were a forum faction). However, given what Diana has just done to the Solari elders, I don't think she's going to have to go looking for Leona. Leona will find her.

Quote:
Is there a Lunar shield out there for her, or is there a particular reason why she doesn't have a shield? I mean, I know she's aggressive and all, but...Pantheon and Leona are both warriors from Mount Targon who wield ancient enchanted weapons, and both of them have a shield. Was the Lunar shield destroyed? Did Diana just not find it? Or does the lack of a shield give some hint as to the Lunari past?
There is no lunar shield.

What does it say about the ancient moon-worshipping culture if they were not warriors who wielded shields? Recall that the Solari are intended to be protectors, guardians, and leader figures--qualities that Leona fully embodies. Food for thought.

Quote:
Is she the only Lunari currently, or are there more out there in Valoran? It seems like they were all executed or exiled prior to Diana becoming their warrior.
For now, Diana is alone.

Quote:
What is the Solari training like? Is it somewhat similar to Rakkor training?

Which champions does she respect in the League? Which is she the most condescending towards to?

Thanks for answering the questions
Not all Solari are warriors; most are scholars, leaders, priests, etc. Leona (or the Chosen of the Sun at any point) is their warrior-leader, and those that follow her craft would train to be protectors/defenders in battle.

As for other champions, I think with time Diana would come to respect others like her... Vayne has already been mentioned, and Morgana comes to mind as well. I also don't see Diana as the condescending type, but I see her having conflict with (outside of Leona, of course) with Demacian champions, as they follow what could be seen as an oppressive doctrine/regime.

DeathScribe

08-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan2swan View Post
Sneaking in a second question: how many elders did Diana kill? Was it a council of five? A council of three? Twelve? Twenty-four? A hundred? That would be a lot of elders...
Was about to ask that. She killed all the elders present in her execution, were ALL Solari elders present?

What will she be doing after joining the League? (Please don't say stand up comedy)

Larcent

08-08-2012

What does Soraka think of all this heavenly body worshipping and the fact that people are dying over it? Did she ever try to pass along her own knowledge of the heavens to Diana or Leona?

RG Stylus

08-08-2012

What happens now that the elders have been killed? Where was Leona when this happened?

swan2swan

08-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post

What does it say about the ancient moon-worshipping culture if they were not warriors who wielded shields? Recall that the Solari are intended to be protectors, guardians, and leader figures--qualities that Leona fully embodies. Food for thought.

------------

Not all Solari are warriors; most are scholars, leaders, priests, etc. Leona (or the Chosen of the Sun at any point) is their warrior-leader, and those that follow her craft would train to be protectors/defenders in battle.
First part: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH. That changes EVERYTHING. No really, it does...or it could...that's a very important piece of information...*prepares to dive into theory madness*

Second part: Before I dive, this was also quite fascinating. I'm assuming that Diana was one of the warriors (or guards...I'm assuming that it's more of a ceremonial position, with skills taught by some of the best fighters but never actually practiced in the field), based on the armor we see in her teaser picture (and her skill). But is there a Solari plumber? What are the plumbing levels of Valoran in general, actually? Does Mount Targon also boast the best selection of men who you can hire to fix the pipes?

Daemon

08-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainRandell View Post
Is the Dark Valkyrie Diana skin the max power of Diana in the presence of the full moon?

Skins are not canon. That means they have no relation to the character whatsoever; they are just for looks. Kind of like dressing up for Halloween.

swan2swan

08-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Skins are not canon. That means they have no relation to the character whatsoever; they are just for looks. Kind of like dressing up for Halloween.
Prototype Viktor and Queen Ashe would beg to disagree. As would King Tryndamere, Northern Front Swain, Blood Moon Shen, Blood Moon Akali...there are actually a good number of skins that can be considered "canon."

And personally, I find the idea of Valkyrie Leona and Dark Valkyrie Diana to be fascinating...did they have some side-war that they fought? Did Leona go straight from the Solari to the League of Legends, or did she sidequest along the way? These aren't questions that need to be answered....

But I will accept that Dark Valkyrie Diana is non-canon.

Yohan Leafheart

08-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post

Which means that the society was organized on a SWORD and SHIELD. The Solari as the protectors, and the LUNARI as the dirty job, on the shadows assassins. I have two possiblities for the rift:

1. One of the lunari killed, on their on volition, someone on the top. And they went on the smackdown.

2. Someone on the Lunari was ordered to assassin someone on the top crop of the Solari, and the elders decided that the Lunari were now a liability, ordering the killing to hide their motives

12345678 ... 11