No Mana Bars? :(

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kamicaze5

07-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melphys View Post
Honestly, as much as I would like to see a mana bar, being able to keep track of your oponent's mana by yourself is one of the things that differs a pro from a rookie. I want to see this game do well in a league environment someday and I think adding ennemy mana bars will only kill the element of surprise...

ex: Ennemy hero spell cost 120, he's at 50, goes missing for a few seconds in bushes or wood LOS, mana pots. Comes back to gank, but you can now see that he has enough mana to cast his spell.

I really dislike having mana bars show up, even for teamates. It's already too easy to keep track of people's mana in this game considering you can have someone targeted at all times and keep full control of your hero.
I have to agree on the issue of seeing enemy mana. While team mana bars are an acceptable bonus that will make gameplay go more smoothly, being able to see enemy mana bars at all times does stink of "dumbing down" for lack of a better phrase.

It is hardly difficult to check the mana of an enemy opponent, but there can be a harsh pentaly for not doing so.

Seeing teammate's mana bars is not a skill issue, just an issue of making gameplay more fluid. Keeping constant tabs on enemy mana reserves is most definitely a skill that can separate the good players from the great players.

Perplexed

Adjudicator

07-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkholyness View Post
Agree with the idea.
It would be cool aswell to have some sort of unitframes showing the team's HP/MP, with the option of turning them off.
I like the uniframe idea, I think it'd be very usefeul (especially for situations in which players cannot directly communicate with their teammates over ventrilo).

Wolfy

07-18-2009

i agree to mana bars as well. Kind of against pressing Alt to switch from Health to Mana (as DarklordJoseph suggested), It'll help a LOT to see both mana and Hp.

+1

Ragain

07-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamicaze5 View Post
I have to agree on the issue of seeing enemy mana. While team mana bars are an acceptable bonus that will make gameplay go more smoothly, being able to see enemy mana bars at all times does stink of "dumbing down" for lack of a better phrase.

It is hardly difficult to check the mana of an enemy opponent, but there can be a harsh pentaly for not doing so.

Seeing teammate's mana bars is not a skill issue, just an issue of making gameplay more fluid. Keeping constant tabs on enemy mana reserves is most definitely a skill that can separate the good players from the great players.
Having the inconvenience of having to click on each enemy to see there mana is not skill, it is just a hassle. The skill of actually knowing how much mana and what they can do with it still exists.

Also like the HP bars it doesn't have to show the actual number so you may still have to click them to see if they went mana heavy items or not, etc.

Short: Mana bars just allows you easier access to information you can already achieve.

UncleRussell

07-20-2009

With mana bars on the enemies id be super agressive if they were out I feel that they shoudl be shown on allied only. Enemy will still be visible from hud but not always visible it would also remove the i'm OOM crud in the chat.

Volibar

Senior Product Manager

Follow Volibar on Twitter

07-20-2009
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Viewing the mana bars of champions is something we've talked about. We would probably make it for all champions since the information is there already in the HUD. I don't think hiding information that's already there really gets us anywhere.

Chex

07-21-2009

+1
There is enough space for a thin blue mana bar below the HP bar for all heroes

Pwnageninja

07-21-2009

wonderful =D +1

DUVOIS

07-21-2009

Im not sure I understand the difference between being able to see an opponents HP and being able to see an opponents mana bar. Right now we can see both on the top frame, and only one floats above their head.

Booom

07-23-2009

+1 for mana bar. Great idea! Although would rather have it on allies only.