Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

yi support?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DkRandyPants

08-07-2012

2 games in a row i have seen yi support. They kill it in laning phase and idk is he actually viable support?

thepantsparty

08-07-2012

no

Cenerae

08-07-2012

What part of Yi's kit helps support his team?

None of it, because it's all focused around killing things or defending himself.

Having a Yi support makes about as much sense as having Ashe jungle.

MiaoLong

08-07-2012

Lol once I played support Yi. I was lagging frickin' hard, so I decided to sell all my items and just buy wards. Once I covered the map the first time, our team had so good vision coverage that between my Boots of Mobility, my Highlander, and basically seeing everything, I was impossible to kill, at least as long as I never tried to fight anyone.

We finished 43-14, even though I was never more than half the level of the next lowest person playing. Sometimes I laugh about what it would have looked like to the other team, to see a lv 8 Yi run across mid lane, carrying nothing but wards and GP10 items, at 40 minutes in.

Warrrrax

08-08-2012

That is a terrible idea. The only reason this 'works' is because of the so called Kill Lane. Thats when you put a champ with a solid early game with the AD carry. Usually a bruiser of some kind. The theory is to totally hoze the enemy support/AD and keep them from ever becoming strong endgame.

Yi can make life miserable with his Alpha Strike, especially with some early AP. He also heals like a mofo. But otherwise he is awful awful as support. He has ZERO utility and sucks sooo bad without farm.

Unless you totally dominate the enemy you WILL lose endgame as Yi is basically worthless.

HurtU

08-08-2012

I have been seeing people play more and more offensive champs in the bot support position. I got destroyed by a jax/vayne combo once. We were ashe and bc. Our bc kept pulling the jax, who would just jump on me, hit e and slaughter us. I could see similar dynamics working with a yi. It would only work under certain conditions, and if your opponent isn't ready for it like we weren't.

Cenerae

08-08-2012

Quote:
HurtU:
I have been seeing people play more and more offensive champs in the bot support position. I got destroyed by a jax/vayne combo once. We were ashe and bc. Our bc kept pulling the jax, who would just jump on me, hit e and slaughter us. I could see similar dynamics working with a yi. It would only work under certain conditions, and if your opponent isn't ready for it like we weren't.

There is a difference between supporting, running a kill lane, and merely being in the bot lane sharing the farm.

Support champions can perform their job with few to no items. That enables them to live primarily off gp/10 income and assist money, and buy wards, and still remain helpful to their team.

Jax and Yi are worthless without farm. Once early game is done, their lack of items will mean they can't do anything. They NEED items.

Running a Vayne and Jax lane merely means that the Jax and Vayne are competing for farm, and will both be fairly weak unless you manage to feed them a lot of kills. Given they lack for synergy, and Vayne is fairly weak early game, this isn't likely to happen unless you're careless.

If you want to run a kill lane, there are much better options. Taric, Alistar or Blitzcrank + any burst champion. Sion and Pantheon. Jarvan and Leona. The list goes on. But Yi? You must be joking.