Upcoming Zyra Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrGreenfield

08-07-2012

another chamption nerfed to the point that no one will play her. i guess i can look forward to 2-6 months down the road, whenever someone at riot decides its time restore some interest in her.

cocacolalips

08-07-2012

I'm not impressed.

It's hella light, I was expecting way more. 50 less damage doesn't make for all the utility, aoe, range, poke, free CDR and instant burst she has.

In before more nerfs.

I demand blood Riot !

Rekkoning

Associate QA Analyst - Gameplay

08-07-2012
6 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertatron View Post
will she be at the heimerdinger lvl now ? :s

it's a lot of nerf .. a lot

what hurts me more is her MS nerf. .. she'll be slow as hell ... easy to gank, easy to kill and impossible to catch a fleeing enemy :s
Hey all,

As the person who played Zyra second-most (Roku being the first) in the internal testing for these changes, here is my insight into the nerfs:

1. The nerfs were absolutely, indisputably, unequivocally NEEDED.

2. To the MS nerf: yes, this is exactly correct. We need Zyra to be in a state where she CAN be shut down / have weaknesses. This was intended from the beginning as she currently has the second lowest base HP and scaling in the game (only Anivia is lower IIRC who also has very powerful zone control, and now their movement speeds match.) Having 310 MS, 575 auto attack range paired with exceptional/highly responsive attack frames, and above average nuke ranges made her too safe both in killing power and farming capabilities (hence the damage nerf to E [or rather, nerf to its level-damage incentive]).

3.Why the nerfs? At this point in time (pre-nerf), I am guaranteed any 3 of the following 4, if not all
  1. - (Average) 200 cs by 18 minutes
  2. - A 1-3 level advantage
  3. - The ability to have untradable kills by level 4 (and even moreso at 6)
  4. - TOO safe of a team-sized AoE chunk

This does NOT mean that Zyra is "heimer/eve/pre-stealth rework" tier in strength. In fact, as it was already stated Roku (2.25k+ elo AP mid main) believes she might even still be TOO strong, and I personally believe (2.15k+ and 13-1 ranked Zyra) that I can still be just as effective in games, just now there might actually be counter play to this very strong, loaded kit. I've also personally tested some of these nerfs, and I didn't feel bad at all.

If skill was truly a factor in your (the reader's) success, then you'll notice:
  1. - Your zoning capability paired with plant play patterns are relatively unchanged
  2. - If you catch a target in a similar combo (EWQWRQ), you will still kill your target

What you no longer will have includes:
  1. - An absurd amount of collateral damage to unintended targets
  2. - High sense of safety
  3. - "Snipes" -- meaning, the enemy will actually be able to see you kill them now (shocking right?)

TL;DR

Remember, there's a difference between liking a champion for his/her/its strength and liking him/her/it for the intended/inherent game play. Being unrealized of this difference may lead to quick, emotional outlashing that quite frankly I am disappointed to see my colleagues receive. We (as a team) succeeded in making Zyra the zone control type of mage that she was intended to be -- however, we gave her a huge amount of burst in addition to the plants that should've been what her strength revolved around, and not her ability to do 1.2k+ damage on base numbers alone from a non-trade-able range. Due to a combination of Zyra's egregious nature of her current numbers, this patch being a tournament balance patch, and the overall "playing against" experience, these changes were needed.

mertatron

08-07-2012

actually how many new champs are played ?
I don't see many.
people stick with older champs, safer champs.

hecarim ? sejuani ? we don't see them .. neither Draven ... I see Dariu sa lot and not that much Jayce .. But I still see him a bit.

soon we won't be seing zyra either
she had a nice burst .. maybe too strong .. but now ... nerfing too much doesn't make u want to play that champ again

DreamsOfGrandeur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
THIS is why we can't have nice discussions. **** like this -.-

(Good sign I need to sign off the forums for the night, HP bar running low)
Good night.

Only so much "stupid" an average human person can tank.

Fiora Mid GG

08-07-2012

And now Zyra is trash tier, glad I wasted 975 RP for her skin. TY riot for making me waste my money!

This will be the last time I ever buy a skin on any champ if they are ever considered strong they'll be nerfed into oblivion and give me the sense that I completely wasted my money on a champ I can never again viably use. So wonderful!

IS1c4d0c584523e580653b4

08-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
THIS is why we can't have nice discussions. **** like this -.-

(Good sign I need to sign off the forums for the night, HP bar running low)
Surely you must mean your fury bar is filling up? :P

I feel very sorry for you Morrello. There is never something more maddening
when you present very hard and solid reasons that justifies something and they're just being ignored, or god forbid, not even understood.

I admire you're perseverance and endurance you show in this struggle between ignorance and enlightenment.
Let these words bring you a small comfort, and may a rather large and durable punching bag bring you even more comfort and buckets of relief!

Soldier on!

Darmikau

08-07-2012

I'm glad Riot has kind of nut up about subjects like this and made it clear that "If you weren't succeeding with Zyra, you're bad."

The forums have needed that for a while - I think the design team finally snapped at all the players calling perfectly fine champions terrible or "eve tier" and complaining that clearly OP champions don't need nerfs.

Scontro

08-07-2012

The only thing that worries me is the reduction in her movement speed.300 movement speed is really low.

EDIT: Yes, the nerfs were needed but the ms nerf is just to much.

Rekkoning

Associate QA Analyst - Gameplay

08-07-2012
7 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmikau View Post
I'm glad Riot has kind of nut up about subjects like this and made it clear that "If you weren't succeeding with Zyra, you're bad."

The forums have needed that for a while - I think the design team finally snapped at all the players calling perfectly fine champions terrible or "eve tier" and complaining that clearly OP champions don't need nerfs.
I won't get into it, but this is not what we're stating. Some people will succeed with Zyra, some people won't. It's not okay for you to say that we think people who are unsuccessful with some champions are bad, regardless of power level. As a personal example, I was/still am a terrible Rumble player when his win rate was similar, does this make me bad?

Good night folks, I'll try and answer any (civilized) questions tomorrow if I can, or perhaps redirect them to Roku who has a better expertise in the AP mid realm than I do.