Kali - The Elemental Scholar

12345 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ploki122

08-06-2012

I do not claim any rights on this champion. Feel free to use it, or any of its part, however you like. Credits are appreciated but optional.

Since I'm not getting a lot of feedback... I do accept trading reviews (I actually usually do reviews without asking anything in return... so it's a win-win). However, please do not ask me to review your August MCCC concept... I really don't like the theme and there wasn't any of the champions I saw that I liked enough to do a review of my own will...

Kafkar - The elemental scholar

Glossary :

These are the terms that I should be using throughout my thread and what they mean to me...
Ammo (system) : an ability that uses charges like Karma's Mantras or Akali's Shadow Rush
AoE : Area of Effect, or basically, something that can hit more than 1 unit (from Diana's Hook to Tibbers' aura).
Burst : a big amount of damage in low time (Leblanc's combo)
CC or Crowd Control : any debuff that hinders one's ability to damage you
Hard CC : a CC that stops both attacks and spells (Stun, Suppress, Polymorph, Taunts)
Soft CC : a CC that only hinders a specific option (silence, snare, slow)
DoT : Damage over Time, or basically a spell that deal damages per tick (like ignite)
Nuke : often single-player, an instant burst of damage (any of Annie's abilities)
Purpose : what is the goal of said champion/ability (or often burst/DoT/utility)
Ready (ability) : an ability that is off cooldown.
Skillshot : an ability where you have to aim, is dodgeable.
Targeted : a click to hit ability, as opposed to skillshots.
Utility : an effect added to the ability that isn't damage (movement, crowd control)

Concept :

this is basically my take at the archmage/elementalist archetype. In my opinion, an elementalist should be able to harness any elements the same way and all the elements should have potentially the same power. This is why I chose to break the 1/3/1 design basis (1 innate, 3 basic + 1 ultimate) to make it 1/4 like Udyr. Then again, I felt like he was a pretty bland and lackluster mage... So I chose that he should have the ability to focus on certain elements more than others and perfect his knowledge however he see fit, thus making all his abilities have a level cap of 7, while retaining the max 18 points.
Based on that, I needed all 4 abilities to have a distinct "purpose" and to be balanced (so one does not always go 7/7/4/0 or 7/7/3/1).
If you read Morello's posts about complexity vs. clarity, this is exactly what I was aiming for; a champion that you can be sure how to play but unsure how to play him best.

Lore :

Kafkar's ancestors had been summoners for ages. However, when Maokai arised from the Twited Treeline's forest, his father ran away in fear, leaving the poor champion to die. Due to his poor conduct, he was exiled from the summoner's order and had to live a life of shame. Kafkar was thus born in the Fyrone Flats. His father tried to teach him summoning magics, but all he could create was some kind of force with no tangible appearance. He traveled the land, looking for a new mentor to teach him magic. Heading toward a port to reach the city state of Ionia, known for its focus on balance and knowledge over anything else. He traveled a long way, sharing company with an odd Yordle, until he reached Bandle City's port.

Once he reached the isle, he walked from temples to temples, peeking around and trying to apply their teaching to his art, until he ended up at the Hirana Monastery where a young boy was learning to channel his inner bestiality. After learning how he was basically summoning a perfect balance of the four elements and simply had to separate them, he chose to train under the monk to learn the tricks of his art. He finally mastered his art, channeling each elements into physical mediums to give him greater control. When the Institute of war decided to open a new Field of Glory, namely the Proving Grounds, Kafkar was shocked to see how they once again put the champions' and summoners' life in danger and decided to go to the league, crush all opposition to be able to close the Fields of Glory.

Appearance :

Kafkar has a the rugged look of someone who lived in the desert. Rough black hairs, attached together, relatively dark skin (not black, but more than tanned) and while not being very beefy, he still has enough muscle to not be considered thin. He wears a scarf around the lower half of his face (like Malzahar, but without the hood) that hangs down below shoulders. Otherwise, he wears some baggy cloth shorts, no top and some very bland slipper/shoes. When his skills are up, little orbs (of the appropriate color) will show up over him, and the one orb whose element that is currently focused (innate) on will glow. *N.B. Both teams can see them.

Tags :
Ranged, Mage, Pusher (potentially Bruiser, Support, Assassin)

Statistics :

Stat............level 0 (+growth) level 18

Health..................390 (+75) 1740
Health regen.......6.5 (+0.55) 16.4
Mana....................280 (+55) 1270
Mana regen.........6.9 (+0.72) 19.9
Attack damage...52 (+3.5) 118
Attack speed.......0.625 (+1.36%) 0.778
Range...................575
Armor..................12 (+3.2) 70
Magic res.............30 (+0) 30
Mov. speed...........310

Abilities :

Attachment 507306Innate : Focus
Quote:
Kafkar's autodidactism allows him to be more efficient at spell casting.
Kafkar can level all of his abilities up to rank 7 and his highest-leveled ready ability receives 15% bonus effect. In case of equal level, the one that has been ready the later has priority.

Attachment 507305Q : Inferno (targeted single-player AoE nuke)
Quote:
Kafkar calls the power of fire and sets an enemy on fire inflicting him with grievous wounds (50% healing). Targeted enemy takes 60/90/120/150/180/210/240 (+0.54 AP) magic damages and propagates Inferno to nearby units and structure for 50% of the damage (without refreshing duration). Structures takes further reduced (50%) damages.

Mana cost : 30/34/38/42/46/50/54 mana
Cooldown : 8/7.5/7/6.5/6/5.5/5 seconds
Cast Range : 600 units
Propagation Radius : 250 units

Attachment 507304W : Blizzard (slow + DoT "wall")
Quote:
Kafkar calls the power of ice, creating a blizzard at the targeted location slowing and damaging enemies hit.
Enemies caught in the blizzard are dealt 30/35/40/45/50/55/60 (+.2AP) magic damages per second and are slowed by 20/25/30/35/40/45/50% for 1.5s.

Mana cost : 80/92/104/116/128/140/152 mana
Cooldown : 20 seconds
Duration : 3/4/5/6/7/8/9 seconds
Cast Range : 700 units
Cast time : 1 second
Width : 350/400/450/500/550/600 units
Thickness : 150/165/180/195/210/225/240 units

Attachment 507307E : Lightning Bolt (Very small circle AoE ammo nuke)
Quote:
Kafkar calls the power of the air, summoning down a thunderbolt striking down on targeted area. Enemies hit gain 1 Lightning Rod stack for 5s seconds and receives 80/105/130/155/180/205/230 (+.4 AP) magic damages. Lightning bolt will split* toward nearby enemies afflicted the lightning rod debuff. Kafkar stores enough energy for a thunderbolt every 15/14/13/12/11/10/9 seconds and can hold up to 1/1/2/2/2/3/3 bolts.

Mana cost : 40/51/62/73/84/95/106 mana
Cooldown : 1.5 seconds
Cast Range : 900/975/1050/1125/1200/1275/1350 units
Hit Radius : 120 (+20 per Lightning Rod stack) units

*I felt like I had to explain this one... When you are affected by Lightning Rod, the bolt won't deviate toward you, there will simply be a spark that splits to hit you (and only you) if you are hit while being outside of the regular 120 range (aka being hit because of the stacks)

Attachment 507308R : Earthshaker (AoE circular nuke)
Quote:
Kafkar calls the power of the earth. After focusing for 1s, Kafkar summons a big boulder crashing down dealing 80/100/120/140/160/180/200 (+.8 AP) magic damage to all enemies hit. Any champion hit directly by the rock is stunned for 0.5/0.75/1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2s while others are pushed away.

Mana cost : 70/80/90/100/110/120/130 mana
Pushed distance : 150/200/250/300/350/400 units
Cooldown : 17/16/15/14/13/12/11 seconds
Cast Range : 900 units
Damage Radius : 250 units
Stun Radius : 100 units

Abilities explanation :
Innate : Focus
I thought about this passive as it would allow you to make more use of the spell you level the most. As a scholar, looking more into one spell should give you better effect on that one. The off cooldown part is to encourage using all spells (and possibly leveling differently from 7/5/1/1 or 7/7/4/0)

Q : Inferno
A new take on the fire ability, a bit similar to brand's passive. Basically, I started with a standard fireball, went onto a fireball that left you burnt and ended up with inferno, who is, in fact a ravaging wildfire.

W : Blizzard
This is his only reliable cc should one decide not to level it up, he has no cc and no escape. However, leveling it up to level 9 will provide a nearly permanent strong slow with some nasty DPS.

E : Lightning Bolt
I tried to make this a burst or dps decision... Ammo system + lightning rod debuff points toward burst, but stacking them up means you might lose some of them. I added the rod debuff to make it easier to evade AND dodge (the more you hit the harder it is to dodge, but the sooner you dodge, the harder it is to hit).

R : Earthshaker
I really wanted to introduce some hard CC in his kit while keeping it useless for escaping. I found that an explosion did just what I needed and chose to go with the meteor path...

Milestones :
1,000 views - 08/14
2,000 views - 08/28

ploki122

08-07-2012

Change Log :
08/07

- Renamed to Kafkar since it was too similar to Akali
08/08
- Changed Fireball to Inferno
- Reduced Blizzard's damage from 50/60/70/80/90/100/110/120/130 (+0.3AP) to 30/35/40/45/50/55/60/65/70 (+0.2AP)
- Reduced Earthshaker's base damage from 120/150/180/210/240/270/300/330/360 to 80/100/120/140/160/180/200/220/240
- Clarified every abilities, especially Thunderbolt
08/10
- Rephrased Inferno's damages as well as tweaking the propagation (50% damage on propagation).
- Modified Inferno's damage from 45/75/105/135/165/195/225/255/285 (+0.6AP) to 60/90/120/150/180/210/240/270/300 (+0.54 AP)
- Added ability icons
- Slightly nerfed E's damages from 60/70/80/90/100/110/120/130/140 (+0.4 AP) to 50/60/70/80/90/100/110/120/130 (+0.35 AP)
08/12
- Reduced Blizzard's Thickness from 150/175/200/225/250/275/300/325/350 to 150/165/180/195/210/225/240/255/270
08/13
- Updated Lore and Appearance.
- Added a 1.5s slow duration after leaving Blizzard
- Added stats
09/01
- Changed all abilities' max rank from 9 to 7
- Rephrased innate a little bit

Old abilities
Quote:
Q : Fireball (targeted single-player DoT)
Kafkar calls the power of fire and launches a ball of fire at his target
Target enemy is dealt 20/35/50/65/80/95/110/125/140 (+.3AP) magic damages and left burning for the same amount over 3s.

Mana cost : 30/34/38/42/46/50/54/58/62 mana
Cooldown : 8/7.5/7/6.5/6/5.5/5/4.5/4 seconds
Range : 600 units

Thanias1

08-07-2012

Ok idea. Elementalists ftw, but please, change the name. Kali is waaaaaaaaaaay to close to Akali

ploki122

08-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanias1 View Post
Ok idea. Elementalists ftw, but please, change the name. Kali is waaaaaaaaaaay to close to Akali
How could I miss that... I even looked through Wuffle's list to make sure there weren't any Kali -.-'
At least you gave me a hint where Akali's name come from...

Thanias1

08-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploki122 View Post
How could I miss that... I even looked through Wuffle's list to make sure there weren't any Kali -.-'
At least you gave me a hint where Akali's name come from...
Lol, it happens to the best of us. A new name shouldn't be too hard to find. Look at the new champ, Diana. They literally took that name from the Roman Goddess of the Moon. (Artemis in Greek mythology). So yeah, just look around for names connected to the elements. Good luck!

THANIAS OUT

ploki122

08-07-2012

Quote:
Lol, it happens to the best of us. A new name shouldn't be too hard to find. Look at the new champ, Diana. They literally took that name from the Roman Goddess of the Moon. (Artemis in Greek mythology). So yeah, just look around for names connected to the elements. Good luck!

THANIAS OUT
Except that I don't know of any religions who has a deity for all 4 elements... After looking it up a bit, the best ones would be some "mother nature" and honestly, I can't use that name seeing how my champ is really more aggressive... So yeah, I guess Kafkar (taken from Kafker meaning witch in some foreign language) will do...

For those not understanding, this was an undercover bump...

Thanias1

08-08-2012

What about Gaea? That is technically "mother nature" for the Greeks. She gave birth to all of the gods (all of the elements *nudge nudge wink wink*), only big thing is that she normally is associated with mainly the earth. But hey, there's something called creative license isn't there? Gimme a sec, and I'll post a full out review on the champ.

Thanias1

08-08-2012

Ok, so, lorewise, it didn't change much. To be honest, I like the idea of Kali/Kafkar being a girl more, not sure why, it just seems like this character should be a girl. One thing I'm confused about is why all abilities have 9 levels... I thought there was only 5... So... On to the abilities!

Passive: Very well planned out, but how about you make it so that each ability has a special bonus that you get for focusing on it? Also, you could make it so that he/she/it carries a book of elements or something, and let a person choose their focus by buying an item in the store (similar to Vicktor).

Moving on, your Q seems kinda like a mixture of Annie's+ignite. So, instead of making it crazy dps, maybe you should add a good solid damage for the initial hit, and then make a small amount of burning damage, but, similar to ignite, have healing effects reduced by 50 percent or so during the duration of the burn? Just a thought.

For ze W: Why not make that a lasting skill shot? My thoughts? Kind of like Galio's whirlwind ability, but make it wider, and make it slow all enemies that are in the area, and have it do a small amount of damage as long as they stay in it. You could also have it apply a debuff that lasts for a short amount of time after they leave the blizzard, (called frostbite maybe?) That reduces the AD and movement speed of enemy champs. Better yet, instead of having your blizzard deal damage, have it severely decrease the AD and movement speed of enemy champs inside the blizzard. This could definitely change the way a team fight is won.

Moving on- The E. This is probably the ability that confuses me the most. Are you trying to make it like a mixture of Xerath's and Corki's ult? Again, you could turn this into a CC ability, similar to Leona's Solar Flare, and have it do a short (and I mean short) stun on impact, and have it spread out to do damage in a radius. But if you can explain the E in a better way, that would be nice.

The R? I don't really have any advice for that. It seems pretty good. What's funny is that Earthshaker is one of Poseidon's titles. Just for future reference.

But over all, a pretty well made character. Just explain the 9 levels per ability thing, and the E, and that would be great! Good luck!

THANIAS OUT

ploki122

08-08-2012

PLOKI IN! :P
First of all, thanks for the review and for keeping this thread alive at the same time.

Quote:
Ok, so, lorewise, it didn't change much. To be honest, I like the idea of Kali/Kafkar being a girl more, not sure why, it just seems like this character should be a girl. One thing I'm confused about is why all abilities have 9 levels... I thought there was only 5... So... On to the abilities!
The 2 main reasons Kafkar has 9 level on all abilities is because I wanted him to have a "scholar" feeling attached to his kit and the fact that I wanted him to have an ultimate without an ultimate system. Right now, one can choose to go 5/5/5/3 or 5/5/4/4 for a standard and very versatile kit, he can choose to go 9/9/0/0 or 9/7/1/1 that would simulate having 2 ultimates or a 9/3/3/3 or 9/4/4/1 or 9/5/2/2 or something like that that would make it as if he had a regular kit (1/3/1).
As for the ***, it might only be because of the name (Kali) that you thought it was a girl, but I was really hesitating between the 2 genders and even thought about not revealing it, but always using Kali/Kafkar instead of he/she made it weird... I might transgender him one day :P. As for gaia/gaea/gaya I really prefer Kafkar... it gives a desert feeling to him (and he's from the desert so...)

Quote:
Passive: Very well planned out, but how about you make it so that each ability has a special bonus that you get for focusing on it? Also, you could make it so that he/she/it carries a book of elements or something, and let a person choose their focus by buying an item in the store (similar to Vicktor).
Definitely not the book of element, that would be way too similar to Viktor's way of doing (and it makes sense on Viktor because he's tampering with his augments, whereas Kafkar is studying). But yeah, this one was an attempt to scramble build and to ensure a good spell rotation. I also wanted the player to choose wisely his spells depending on his roles since the spell he cast the most would have to be leveled up the most to always keep that 15% bonus. Funny thing, your idea was my backup plan.
Quote:
Moving on, your Q seems kinda like a mixture of Annie's+ignite. So, instead of making it crazy dps, maybe you should add a good solid damage for the initial hit, and then make a small amount of burning damage, but, similar to ignite, have healing effects reduced by 50 percent or so during the duration of the burn? Just a thought.
I must admit that it does resemble Annie's Disintegrate, one fireball can't be that different from another. I didn't think about the grievous wounds, and I'll definitely have to think about it. However, one thing for sure is that this ability will preserve some crazy DPS (but low burst).
Quote:
For ze W: Why not make that a lasting skill shot? My thoughts? Kind of like Galio's whirlwind ability, but make it wider, and make it slow all enemies that are in the area, and have it do a small amount of damage as long as they stay in it. You could also have it apply a debuff that lasts for a short amount of time after they leave the blizzard, (called frostbite maybe?) That reduces the AD and movement speed of enemy champs. Better yet, instead of having your blizzard deal damage, have it severely decrease the AD and movement speed of enemy champs inside the blizzard. This could definitely change the way a team fight is won.
I don't know about the line... Whenever I hear Blizzard it sound more like a tempest with "whirlwinds" and localized snowstorms than something linear... Otherwise, I might reshape it a bit to something like a wall... but instead of walling it would damage (we're onto something here). As for the damage, I really wanted this champ to be aggressive, I felt like I couldn't call my champion an Archmage if it wasn't all of his abilities that damaged peoples (The earth one really troubled me on that point :P). Then again, it might be my view of the archetype that is wrong. As for the Major AD debuff, definitely not! Malphite has that one and it has showed to be way too strong... I might want to do something like Viiktor's stun tho and stack up debuffs until X stack (and then maybe an additional effect).
Quote:
Moving on- The E. This is probably the ability that confuses me the most. Are you trying to make it like a mixture of Xerath's and Corki's ult? Again, you could turn this into a CC ability, similar to Leona's Solar Flare, and have it do a short (and I mean short) stun on impact, and have it spread out to do damage in a radius. But if you can explain the E in a better way, that would be nice.
I'm not quite sure about what part of it confuses you (not that it's clear, it's that multiple parts could ><)... So here I go... I must say that it IS based on Xerath's ult* as, in my opinion, Xerath did a wonderful job giving a lightning feeling to his ultimate. However, to make it feel different to Xerath's (and more of a regular spell than a "feel my wrath puny fools" spell, I decided to go with ammo system instead of X bolt/cast. If the confusing part is the "splitting" it's simply that, like I stated in the ability explanations, I wanted to have a fun thunderbolt so I decided that each consecutive thunderbolts should have an effect. So basically, right now the more Kafkar hits you with thunderbolts, the easier it is to hit you (hits increase E's hit radius, but only for you). If this still isn't clear, please ask me direct questions about what is unclear so I can really reword my passive.
*However, Xerath wasn't even my main source of inspiration, it was Kog'maw... I looked at Xerath after I found out that I recreated his ult :/

Quote:
The R? I don't really have any advice for that. It seems pretty good. What's funny is that Earthshaker is one of Poseidon's titles. Just for future reference.
Thank god then there apparently is 1 ability I won't have to worry about (inb4 other reviews that says the burst/CC is too high)

Onto why I took those decisions... If you read the whole concept (with every other appendixes), you will already know some of this, so you can only skim read it. If you didn't, I don't blame you, this IS a wall of text (even I skim read concepts when I first review them :/).
First of all, like stated on W, this is my take at both the archmage and the elementalist archetype (that I felt was too close to be split, although I can imagine them separated). Basically, I wanted players who play Kafkar to have a lot of possibilities build-wise. Here are the focus of each spells :
Kit : Like stated before, I wanted all abilities to be able to do damage either Dot, Burst or low cd nuke. Also, I wanted each abilities to scale exponentially meaning that leveling one up, at the cost of others would yield an extremely strong spell. However, leveling them all around, should yield the most balanced and "strongest" kit possible. Also, there were a couple of stregths/weaknesses that I outlined before designing it that I will outline after this.
Innate : encourage both a full spell rotation (AP carry) or poking with the same spell over and over (support/laning)
Q : This was was meant to be a "pure" dps (by pure I mean no cc, not no side effects). So leveling this ability should have raised his DPS by a lot while not really affecting his burst or utility.
W : This was meant to be a zone control with exponential effect. I wanted this ability to have a major emphasis on hard, localized, DPS and utility. However, looking back at it, it might be a little too strong on the sides, I will nerf it.
E : This was meant to be a burst nuke. Leveling it up grants way more burst and little to no dps or utility (so basically, E's opposite).
R : Lots of utility with little damages. Right now, it is the 2nd best burst but 3rd best DPS at nearly all AP levels (yeah, I did a spreadsheet to balance them out :P).

As for those strength/weaknesses, here they are
Strength :
- Strong utility
- Strong burst
- Strong dps
- Versatility (he can do all 3, or 1/2 of them really well)

Weaknesses :
- Predictable (opponents knows what abilities you have/don't [still unsure If I should add ready/not] and knows what is you highest leveled ones
- Specialized (you can't have a high amount of burst, dps AND utility)
- Weak to ganks (his only reliable CC for ganks is his slow, and tons of champions have dashes nowadays). Also, I didn't want him to have any reliable CC (one is a slow and the other is a little stun with push that can be used against you)

PLOKI OUT! (this really makes me lol)

Thanias1

08-08-2012

lol stole my outro did you? Anyways, thanks for explaining all of that, especially the Strengths and Weaknesses part at the end. I'm not sure what other feedback I can give lol, I had a few more questions, but I ended up answering them myself xD.

For now, I've still got questions about the E, and I guess I can try to be a bit more specific. So, you plan on having it target kind of like xerath's ult, except that if it hits someone, they then get a stack, which causes additional hits to becoming homing missiles? My suggestion, is that if you're going to do that, then it seems powerful enough to become the ult. Especially if it does the same amount of damage when its a homing missile. So, to solve that problem I suggest making a short delay before a thunderbolt comes down, and instead of becoming a homing missile on hit, you could have it slow the enemy (with a stack) and the more stacks an enemy has, the slower they get, up to a cap. Even better, when it gets to the cap, then it can stun the enemy. I just thought this would make it a bit more skill based on landing the shots, and it could be used strategically to help out in certain situations.

Moving backwards to the W, I get what you mean by the line thing, maybe it could be kind of like Vicktors Chaos storm? Just a thought. Anyways, good work!

THANIAS OUT

12345 ... 10