Announcing the League of Legends Championship Series

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

QQ MOAR BRO PLZ

08-06-2012

No love for south america i guess

Could it be possible for South America teams to join that tournament?

Diogorlz

08-06-2012

No Brazilian teams even though there will be a Brazilian server soon?

Noghori

08-06-2012

Tsm tsm tsm tsm.

WexAndywn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-06-2012

Woah I got a red response.

/manfaint

TaiLe1996

Recruiter

08-06-2012

The best team in the world's Azubu Blaze

Zodai

08-06-2012

Will there be more changes to masteries and rune pages when season 3 comes? How about summoner spells? I know how much everyone likes their champions, but these things change the game in ways too!

Magus

Director of Esports

08-06-2012
17 of 31 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscurica View Post
Wait.

Only twice a year?

I'm not sure if this is a good idea, Riot. Your SEA publishers have a similar system in place - I've long suspected it was basically a testbed for exactly the competitive circuit you've just announced. But notice the rather massive problem in how the Garena Premier League is run: there isn't only no change in the roster at all, but it only takes a couple weeks to solidly establish that the lower-tier teams simply cannot compete at all.

After just two months, it had been solidly determined that the Bangkok Titans had not a chance in hell to get a single match in their favor, and that the rest of the GPL was there to basically fluff circuit points for the Taipei Assassins and the Singapore Sentinels, with the rest to scrabble madly like starved dogs for a meager, bone-bare third place.

That's not dramatic. That is, in fact, anti-drama.

Why not copy from the Seoul scene? Starcraft 2's Code A/Code S structure is well-designed for hype. "Easy" enough to be an up-and-comer Code A with potential, right? But Code S is where the prestige and money is, and the competition to just stay in it is cutthroat and ruthless. Up/down matches are intense nailbiter affairs - the emotional impact of each game is astounding.

Isn't that what you want? Isn't that the sort of self-perpetuating hype engine that makes the games worth watching? A twice-yearly relegation system, in comparison, is six months of stagnation, and only two times in a year where everybody is watching with riveted eyes and bated breathes for the final Nexus push.
Hey Obscuria - I think the number of up/downs will make more sense when we release a detailed schedule after Season Two. I understand you want highly competitive, nail-biting action. As eSports fans ourselves, we want the same! Our goal is that every game will be intense - not just the up/downs.

DwaneDibbly

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-06-2012

i think we all know its going to be m5 vs Azubu blaze for the finals :P

RedBeard

VP of eSports

08-06-2012
18 of 31 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogorlz View Post
No Brazilian teams even though there will be a Brazilian server soon?

Brazil does have their own server now, and we hope to see their competitive scene escalate pretty rapidly. We are doing a lot to make sure the ecosystem there gets built out properly, and while it's too early to tell, there possibly could be an element of some of our newer international markets looped in to the Season 3 tournaments (Turkey, Brazil, who knows).

RedBeard

VP of eSports

08-06-2012
19 of 31 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwaneDibbly View Post
i think we all know its going to be m5 vs Azubu blaze for the finals :P
Certainly sounds possible, but sports are great because every team has a fair chance!