Announcing the League of Legends Championship Series

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FauxMustache

08-06-2012

NERF THEM KOREANS :P Love you guys over there in korea. should be very fun to watch.

Untouchable

08-06-2012

Free HD streaming! IPL could learn a thing or two from this!

Karter Wid a K

08-06-2012

How are you going to have matches each week? Are they going to be matches that the players can play from their own computer at home? Because I can imagine it'd be quite strenuous to have them all meet up each week to play LoL

MonkeyzBusiness

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-06-2012

When does season 2 ranked solo/duo and ranked teams end?

BIXA Statz00

08-06-2012

Come to freakin montreal man wtf is wrng wit montreal tell me fk.....

LiegeWaffles

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
High quality streaming is one of our main tenants / goals for next year - you can expect a great experience on that front. There are always occasional mishaps that are hard to plan for, but you can expect any lag / streaming issues will be handled quickly and vigilantly
Will you be streaming through both twitch.tv and own3d.tv in parallel?
For me the twitch player is a huge CPU hog [1] while the own3d player is much lighter on the CPU.

Anorther question: will that Champion Series restrict the number of roster changes for the teams in it?
At the moment it seems most top teams have at least one roster change every few months and some even break up and then semi-reform under a new name...

[1] in fact, running the twitch.tv app in 720p on my tablet works better than running the twitch flash player in the browser on my PC at 480p...

Mrhahaha

08-06-2012

Hey. A huge suggestion to the way you guys stream.

I really like the spectator mode you guys have implemented in game.
Do you guys think it's possible to incorporate that into the stream somehow?

Basically, include a interactive spectate mode. There are times where the broadcasters missed some action (like recently in the MLG, the livecaster missed first blood with TSM's regi).

Sometimes I want to watch bottom instead of middle to study the playstyle of Capt Jack.

Etc.

sugarbiscuit

08-06-2012

Will players be housed on-site for the duration of the 6-month contracts (and kept there for additional contracts if they qualify?)

Will teams consist only of 5 players? (Alts, Managers)

Will teams sign contracts that restrict their playing eligibility for competitions outside of Riot's league? Will the broadcasting schedule adjust so that major international events can be played on different weekends than Riot's broadcasts that would require all top-tier teams to be present?

Doosfin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-06-2012

If the Championship Series doesn't have a stream with overexcited Korean casters I will be really disappointed

LiegeWaffles

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Starflyer View Post
Through client means using the game server. This means anyone who isn't on the NA server would have to patch to the NA server, make an account, and spectate. This might also overload the servers and the game. Currently it's easier to just use the stream, since the number of viewers doesn't impact the game.
This is incorrect.
The spectator servers are seperate from the game servers. (game server--game_data_stream-->spectator server(s)--spectator_data_stream-->spectating game clients)
Heck, AFAIK both EUW and EUNE at the moment have a shared "spectate featured games" list. (so EUW can see featured EUNE games and EUNE can see featured EUW games)
And IIRC there is at least 1 program/system that uses a custom PVP.net client to fetch
gameIDs of ongoing games from the various regions and uses those to fetch the spectator data from the spectator webservers to feed it to the game client.
(if you spectate a region that's a patch ahead of you, that could of course fail)

Total traffic would of course be way lower by spectating (~10 Mbyte per _game_) than by streaming (could be ~10 Mbyte per _minute_), but by streaming the bandwidth burden is shifted from Riot onto the streaming site anyway...
Though with spectating, you might want to run a commentator audio stream at the same time, while with streaming you have the commentator audio built in.
</off_topic>