Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Fren, the Fury of the Forgotten

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Deoxysprime

08-05-2012

This thread is a part of my compilation found here:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2511727

Feel free to check it out!

Inspiration:

I haven't seen a full fledged dual resource champion and I saw an opportunity arise with this idea. I wanted to see something with good potential counterplay while still feeling potent. This champion is somewhat similar to old Jax in the sense that he ramps up while he's fighting. I also wanted to see a bruiser that could use more of the available stats in the game, likening him to Irelia.

Lore

The sound of clashing steel always excited Fren Felen during his youth. He trained day in and day out as soon as he could swing a sword. He trained under his father, learning his family's signature dual sword style. Combat was his outlet for enjoyment. Duels, practice, skirmishes, war, it didn't matter. Fren was at home on the battlefield with his swords in hand. Strength and honor were always behind Fren. His family was never tied down to a single nation in combat, they offered their strength to the side that offered the most money. Fren was different, he offered his services to the side with the least soldiers, he claimed it meant there would be more for him to fight. His only connection was his family.

While out on a particularly long mission under Demacia, his other family members were bought out entirely by Noxus. Bound by honor to their contract, Noxus had the Felen family by the throat. They were forced to kill their own progeny in exchange for money. Fren expected a warm welcome home after his battle, but his eyes welled with tears as House Felen turned on him. He couldn't bear the idea of killing his family, but he had to in his self defense. Mourning did not follow, Fren swallowed his sorrow and returned to the battlefield as the last of the Felen family.

He was one of the youngest to become a soldier and he grew to become one of the oldest on the battlefield. War was the only thing that remained in his life. Greed killed his family and he knew it. Even after his family was forgotten he continued to fight – the sound of resonating steel was all that was left for Fren. After the League put a halt to most of the world's combat he grew restless. To sate his lust for war he would have to join the League.

“When the League ended the major conflicts of Valoran I despaired. When they opened their doors to me I rejoiced.” - Fren

Skills:

Passive: Final Wrath
Fren uses Fury and Mana. He generates 10 fury when swinging. His skills will consume fury if he has no mana. Fury will decay rapidly when he is not successfully attacking.
NOTE: Skills that have a fury boost DO NOT consume fury when boosted. The only way to consume fury is to activate his passive or use skills while out of mana.

Fren's true power is unleashed when he reaches 30% health. He gains increased attack damage, attack speed, and critical strike chance. This effect consumes his remaining Fury. Lasts 4 seconds and an additional 1 second for every 25 fury he consumed. (1m30 cooldown)

Q – Clash of Steel (60/65/70/75/80 mana // 25 Fury) (12/11/10/9/8 second cooldown) (attack range)
Fren swings both weapons at once, dealing 60/65/70/75/80% of his attack damage twice. Landing an auto attack will reduce this cooldown by 1 second.

Fury Boost: Deals an additional +0.5% of his attack damage per point of fury with each hit. At 100 fury this means he will deal an additional 50% of his attack damage per swing.

W – Bloodthirsty Roar (70/80/90/100/110 mana // 40 Fury) (20/18/16/14/12 second cooldown) (400 unit radius)
Passive: Fren gains 5/7.5/10/12.5/15% life steal. This value is doubled against slowed targets.

Fren unleashes a mighty roar, slowing all nearby targets by 25% for 1.5/2/2.5/3/3.5 seconds.

Fury Boost: Slow effect increased by 0.25% for every point of fury Fren has. At 100 fury this is a 50% slow.

E – Vicious Rush (28/25/23/20/18 sec CD) (60 mana, can not be cast with fury) (650 unit range)
Fren rushes the target dealing 55/80/105/130/155 (+0.5/AD) and stunning it for 1 second. Causes Fren's next attack to generate double fury.

Fury Boost: Cooldown reduced by 0.1 seconds for every point of fury Fren has. At 100 fury the skill has an 8 second cooldown at max rank.

R – Unwavering Discipline (100/150/200 mana, can not be cast with fury) (120/105/90 second cooldown)
Passive: Fren regenerates 4/6/8 mana per swing.

Note: I'm caught between two actives for his ultimate. Both are quite similar but I'm not sure which one would be better.
Active: Fren gains 35/50/65 armor and magic resist for 8 seconds. He also gains 40 tenacity.

Active (15 fury per second instead of mana cost): Fren channels his fury to gain 35/50/65 armor and magic resist.
This means that if he's constantly hitting something he will have his boosted defense for quite a long time.

Base Stats

Health: 432 (+92) – 2088 at 18
Mana: 220 (+38) – 904 at 18
Fury: 100 (+0)
Attack Damage: 54 (+3.5) – 117 at 18
Attack Speed: .670 (+3.2%) - 1.05 at 18
Armor: 17 (+3.6) – 81.8 at 18
Magic Resist: 30 (+1.25) – 51.25 at 18
HP/5: 7.7 (+.8) – 22.1 at 18
Mana/5: 6.5 (+.65) – 18.2 at 18
Range: 125
Movement Speed: 320

Appearance

Fren is a somewhat older fellow (50s.) He is in shape and quite muscular for his age. He has long gray hair . He is covered in heavy duty plate armor with spikes all over. His armor's primary color is a dark slate color with just a bit of light blue. He wields two broad and serrated claymores with ornate engravings on each. His armor has large spiked shoulderguards to give him a more imposing presence.

Inherent Problems:

He's an AD bruiser that benefits from building any tanky or AD item. He could build Wit's End, Trinity, Bloodthirster, Infinity Edge, Atma's Impaler, whatever. This means he can pick almost any item and not feel bad for purchasing it. He's also very easy to shut down. A strong CC will reduce his damage greatly. He also seems a bit strange with the dual resource system. He's weak when he has no mana but he can still do well.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Deoxysprime

08-24-2012

Bumping this thread along with the creation of my compilation thread.

Link is here:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2511727