Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[August MCCC] Faraday, the Experimentalist

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Persequor

08-05-2012

Quote:

Changelog:
8/18/2012 - v1.6 - added stats
8/11/2012 - v1.5 - added additional lore, nerfed AP boost on R, added 'sucking' mechanism to R. lowered outer bounds base damage on Q. Changed passive component of R
8/11/2012 - v1.4 - added slow effect to E, added range for passive effect of ult, added lore, added flavor to ability descriptions.
8/10/2012 - v1.3 - Changed Q's delay to 2 seconds from 0.4, bumped up damage on it, gave damage scaling component from how far you are from center, increased base radius by 50.
8/7/2012 - v1.2 - Changed passive to 4%/stack, bumped base values on E but reduced scaling to compensate.
8/7/2012 - v1.1 - Revamped Q entirely. Removed CC reduction from passive, added sight to passive, passive now stacks on spellcast as well as basic attacks. Removed cooldown effect from W and added maximum mana regen while it lasts. Removed secondary 'if no stacks' effect of E. Removed variable cooldown on ult, and removed ap scaling from the active, bumping base values to compensate.

Faraday, the Experimentalist

Lore
- Piltover is a town that has whole-heartedly embraced science as a means to advance humanity. As a child, Herbert Faraday was fascinated by the scientific gadgets and hextech inventions that he saw as nothing short of magic. As he grew older, his infatuation with science only grew, becoming a fledgling researcher under Heimerdinger, in the field of techmaturgy. Eventually his research designs parted from his mentor's, and he began to work on theoretical mechanical designs, including a cage of his invention designed to neutralize electricity and other arcane magics. Unbeknownst to everyone else, this new invention was not the goal of his current research, but a necessity in order to work with the vast amounts of electricity required to tear a hole.. into the dark void between worlds.

A creature opens its blood-red eyes, making a nightmarish noise, a cacophony of other similar creatures join in, a deafening wail of hunger. Faraday can feel the power radiating in the air.. if he could only reach it. Every night, the dream is the same. Ever since he gazed into the void during one of his experiments, he has been consumed by his need to go there, to tap into the unlimited power.

The Void holds creatures of monstrous qualities, but it also holds something very precious - if the energy could be safely harnessed, it would provide Runeterra with an untapped source of power. Faraday has been studying the pinhole-sized openings to the void that lightning strikes create, and has amassed giant coils of metal that he uses to open holes for a brief moment, getting bigger and bigger with the more electricity he pumps into his experiments. One day, his lightning arced to a nearby scientist working under him, and under the immense energy flowing through his body, the hole sustained for a greater duration, and at a greater size. Many interns began disappearing, as his understanding of the phenomenon increased. Then one day, Faraday heard an intriguing rumor, that the league of legends had been host to subjects familiar with the void.. a large beast, a teleporting mortal, and a mad seer. Sensing a new opportunity to further his research, he strapped a generator to his back, and brought a portable cage prototype. Now at the league, he will undergo the final phase of his research.

And the Champions will be his subjects.

Concept art - credit to ~Thonywow of deviantart.com : http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2012/208/5/b/steampunk_lancer_by_thonywow-d3l748n.jpg (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/redirect.php?do=verify&redirect_url=http%3A%2F%2Fth04.deviantart.net%2Ffs70%2FPRE%2Fi%2F2012%2F208%2F5%2Fb%2Fsteampunk_lancer_by_thonywow-d3l748n.jpg)
(note that instead of a lance-type weapon, my champion would have a coil around his arm connected to the generator on his back, that shot lightning at range. )

Stats:

Damage - 47 + 3.5 per level
Attack Speed - 0.585 + 2.5% per level
Health - 400 + 85 per level
Mana - 220 + 50 per level
Health Regen - 6.0 + 0.9 per level
Mana Regen - 6.3 + 0.6 per level
Move Speed - 315
Attack Range - 550
Magic Resist - 30 + 1.25 per level
Armor - 12.5 + 3.75 per level

Passive - Observe -
Faraday's basic attacks and hostile spell hits apply 'Observation' to the target, which stacks up to 4, and lasts 6 seconds. Observation grants sight of the enemy, and Faraday takes 4% less damage from targets with Observation, for each stack on the target.

~~~

Q - Evaluate - Faraday sets his sights on an area, after a brief duration (2 seconds or so) zapping anybody in the area, dealing between 112/148/184/220/256(+1.0 ap) and 28/37/46/55/64(+0.25 ap) magic damage to all enemies in the area, depending how far they are from the center. If Faraday is observing any enemies that are hit, his cooldowns are reduced by 1 second for every stack of observation among enemies hit, up to a max of 4. The radius of his evaluation increases depending on your ability power.

Cooldown - 10 seconds
Mana Cost - 40/45/50/55/60
Cast Range - 700
Radius - 150 + 0.5 Ap ratio

notes - the cooldown is based off of stacks of observation when they are hit, so if an enemy has no stacks, Faraday's cooldowns will not be reduced at all, even though his passive will then apply a stack of observation to the target.

~~~

W - Faraday Cage - Faraday uses a portable Faraday Cage to defend himself from ambient abilities. Faraday gains a shield, preventing the next 70/100/130/160/190 (+1.1 ap) damage that would be dealt to him and energizing him with electricity, restoring 2% of his maximum mana every second. As long as the cage holds, Faraday deals an additional 10/20/30/40/50(+0.15 ap) magic damage on attack. The Cage's duration increases depending on your ability power when cast.

Cooldown: 18 seconds
Mana Cost - 120
Area Of Effect - 500
Duration - 6 seconds + 1 second per 150 ability power

notes - cage is not stationary, its just a mesh coating over his body for the duration. This ability, as it deals no damage, will not apply observation.
~~~

E - Draw Conclusion - Faraday Shocks an enemy with concentrated lightning, and makes a conclusion from his observation. This deals 80/110/140/170/200(+0.6 ap) physical damage. For every stack of observation on the target, Faraday gains 10% movement speed and 20% attack speed for 6 seconds, and his target is pulled temporarily into the void, slowing their movement and attack speeds by half this amount.

Cooldown: 14 seconds
Mana Cost - 100
Cast Range: 700
Duration - 6 seconds

~~~

R - Experiment - Active - Faraday conducts an experiment by charging himself with lightning, Granting himself 100/200/300 ability power until his next spellcast. Additionally, the target of his next spell will tear a hole into the void, sucking all nearby enemies towards it.
Passive - Whenever an enemy within 600/800/1000 range casts a spell, they gain 1 stack of observation.

Mana Cost -120
Cooldown: 25 seconds
Duration: 6 seconds

Notes: This ability, as it deals no damage, will not apply observation. If Q is used next, it will suck enemies within the radius to the center. if W is used next, it will suck enemies towards yourself. If E is used next, it will suck enemies towards the target. The range of the 'suck' will be around 500 units for W and E, and will always be the maximum radius of Q.

~~~

On the champion itself: my design goals with this champion is to create an extremely versatile champion, able to fulfill either a caster, ranged carry, hybrid, or tank role.

To this end, his ultimate really in the lynchpin in his skill set, as the use of it is vastly different depending on his role. For a caster, using it to boost E for increased damage, or with his Q to boost the damage and radius, maybe grabbing a rylais to make it slow and support better.

As a tank, you'd want to use faraday cage to consume experiment, to get the extra shielding, or use Q defensively, to stack observe and stay in there longer with your shield.

As a physical carry/hybrid, you might want to blow your spells before activating experiment, to leave experiment's ap up to boost the magic damage component on your autoattacks from faraday cage, using your autoattacks to stack observation, and E to chase.

Mastery of these interactions would make Faraday a fearsome opponent to meet! hope you enjoyed him.

EDIT: im adding this part because people still think his R is OP.

Quote:
you have to understand that, due to the nature of R being a skill that buffs, and not a true nuke, its power comes in the bonus it provides to his other skills (of course)

this means that, at max level,his Q is given between 300 (at center) and 75 (at edges) damage and a 150 increase to its radius

His W is given 330 extra shielding, and its duration is increased by 2 seconds.
If you choose to active it after activating W, it instead grants 45 dmg to the on hit component.

his E is given 180 extra damage.

so, for a 25 second cooldown skill, it provides one of those four buffs. it isnt as strong as you believe it to be.

Kandehbar

08-05-2012

His name and title is a mouthful. why not just scientist

Persequor

08-05-2012

no more of a mouthful than "irelia, the will of the blades, Blitzcrank the great steam golem, Dr. Mundo the madman of Zuan, etc etc"

it gives personality.

Persequor

08-06-2012

bump

Cometchaser

08-06-2012

Great character concept, I really like the versatility of his skillset.

Statefreak

08-06-2012

I don't understand the Q, is it like this?
It deals 14% damage to them + 120% more damage to them based on the targets AD + 80% more damage based on the targets AP?

Persequor

08-06-2012

it does either 14% of their max life, or 120% of their attack damage, or 80% of their AP in damage, whichever of the 3 values is highest. i'll clarify the wording a tad.

so.. if you use it on.. lets say an enemy shen, who has 3k health, 100 attack damage, and 250 ap. 14% of 3k hp is 420, 120% of 100 attack damage is 120, and 80% of 250 ap is 200. the highest value is 420, so it would deal 420 damage.

conversely, if you used it on an enemy ashe, who has 1.6k hp, 450 attack damage, and 0 ap.. 14% of 1.6k hp is 224, 120% of 450 attack damage is 540, and 80% of 0 ap is 0. the highest value is 540, so it would deal 540 damage.

TheDeathstalker

08-06-2012

Overall, I like the ideas being played with in this champion. It's a neat idea, and one that could work really well if you manage to get it just the right amount of entangled in itself, without it getting convoluted. Something like how you could use W, then R, or R, then W, and get two rather different effects out of it (Bonus damage on attack or a really whompin shield to help with spellcasting), is really really cool, but the fact that the individual skills become so busy is a bad side effect of this whole deal.

Allow me to get more specific for a bit:

Passive - I like the simple mechanics of the stacking resistance to an enemy. If done right, it's a good way to keep you alive and to dissuade enemies from focusing you in a team fight (somewhat, it also encourages them to whomp you real quick, as well as harass you in lane, etc, but that's unavoidable). What I don't quite get is the CC reduction. Why have it? It's nice, sure, but so would a million other things. The question I keep drawing from this is why CC reduction that has to be stacked on the enemy? The way it works right now, it means that only once a fight has gone on long enough to put the stacks on the enemy, is it useful to prevent the thing that most people open with: Their CC. It's a bit backward. Not impossible to work with, but the skill would be just as happy, and a lot cleaner, if it were just the damage reduction. I would probably also add the effect on any damage, not just attacks, so that you don't have to make 20 auto attacks to have your bases covered in a team fight.

Q - This is probably my least favorite skill on him because it plays with mechanics you have no control over in a way you have no control over. The reason the game has %max health attacks is as a direct counter to health stacking, and while the argument could be made that this is a direct counter to tanks and glass cannons, it just doesn't sit right with me. It's too... meta, or something. It doesn't interact with the game in the way the game interacts with you. The damage you deal and the health of the enemy are intertwined, and feel right to have interact. But to use someone's AD or AP as a means to damage them comes off bizarre. It would be like reducing one's Armor based on their Movespeed. The two don't touch naturally, so you've forged an artificial link that has no basis in the game, if that makes sense. You can do a skill like this, but it needs more natural things to interact with in more natural ways. I don't know how, off hand, but think of things naturally related to one's health. Healing, Health, Damage Taken, or almost Damage Given, work, somewhat. Somehow there's a good way to do it, but remember, the less control you have over the stats you are interacting with, the more trouble you set yourself up for.

W - This is a neat skill, I think a few things need tweaking, like the CDR effect (standard max is 40%, and it is probably wise to keep within that framework, especially if you have it on a separate system than CDR, because 40%*50% reduction gives you a 3s cooldown on a 10s skill. That's nasty. Rule of thumb: If there's already a system in place for what you plan: use it). Otherwise, I think it's good and neat. It's similar to Janna's shield, although it only works on you (as written, at least), but has its own spunk, and gives a good option when mixed with the ult.

E - Erm... I like it, except for this part: . "If the target has no stacks of observation, instead Faraday applies 2 stacks of observation and his next variable on that target has its mana cost reduced by 10/20/30/40/50% and deals true damage." What? Why? You already have a result if there's no stacks of observation: You get no bonus MS/AS. It's like if Brand had a "but if they're not burning, it's ok" condition on his skills. There's no need for it and it doesn't really foster interesting play, because if you actually want the no observation effect to occur, then something is terribly, terribly wrong, because everything else in the champ wants you to stack that stuff, and very much encourages it. Just a nice, simple skill would do here, and work well. And, with the Ult, it's a potent nuke that can lead you into chasing, which is great.

R - The skill is great, I love it, keep it the same, but drop the variable CD on it. It's silly. If the skills are that unbalanced, than AP is unbalanced on the hero. Also: Woe be unto the enemy who eats your Lich Bane + Deathcap + Ult auto attack combo.

Oh, and, wtf on bonus AP based on AP? That's silly.

So, overall, I like him, and would really like to see more of the cool interactions with the ultimate's buff. If you rework Q, hopefully you can finagle some more, or at least let me know of them. Gj man, as always.

Statefreak

08-06-2012

I agree with Deathstalker about the Q. It's far to complex and unnecessary.

Persequor

08-06-2012

V1.1 up.. thedeathstalker brought up many good points. check him out if you have already