Alright folks, it's time to lay down so ground rules for viewing the WCG Finals.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darmikau

09-11-2010

#1) The players you are viewing know how to play

This is the WCG Finals, not a random Livestream. These are some of the best players in League of Legends worldwide. Will players make mistakes? Sure. Will players do things they could have done differently? Sure. However, these are by and large some of the current best League of Legends players, and it'd be rather annoying to see chat flooded with people claiming how much better they are than someone when that player makes a mistake or does something they don't like. You're not better than these players, and other Livestream users don't agree with you that you belong at WCG instead.

#2) Bans are not indicative of balance

It's already obvious how this is going to play out. "X Champions were banned, X Champion was banned more than once, these are the best players and this is who they are banning. X champions clearly need nerfs if they were banned in the WCG Finals." As the title states, bans are not indicative of balance. Indeed some champions may be banned on the basis that they are strong picks, but many champions will also be banned because certain players in the finals play well with them. Is your opponent one of the best Akali players around? Maybe Akali will be banned. Bans are not necessarily a reflection of balance, so don't claim certain champions need balancing just because they're banned. On that note...

#3) Picks are not indicative of balance either

This is a foreign concept to most forum-goers, but counterpicking is essential to team composition. We don't need topics about how you knew Veigar wasn't bad just because he was counter-picked to Heimerdinger. We don't need to hear how Gragas is overpowered because he was counter-picked to stop an AoE team. It's almost guaranteed that there will be uncommon or unorthodox champion picks. Some players are exceptional with these champions. Some of these picks fit well into the team composition. Some of these picks counter other picks. This is a natural part of the game, and balance is not relative to these champion picks.Counterpicking is one of the reasons Riot's balancing job is difficult, because the forums claims certain champions are too powerful while forgetting there are plenty of viable counter picks to those champions.

To Summarize:

These are some of the best League players in the world, though they're still human and will make mistakes. Balance is also not relative to the bans and picks of these games just because they're the Finals of the WCG.

Following these simple guidlines, you'll help keep both the Livestream chat and forums clear of trashy QQ and egotistical theorycrafting. Enjoys the WCG Finals!

Milkshakes00

09-11-2010

Where and when is this streaming? :O

Thor Of Asgard

09-11-2010

Lol...
Bans not indicative of balance...

Then explain the Heimer nerfs. And the Shaco nerfs. And the Ezreal nerfs. And the slight Shen and Garen nerfs...

Oh wait you can't.

I wish more people could understand #2, it would make this game much more fun.

Edit: Lulz @ the people who misunderstood my post, I was agreeing with the OP.

Deathlordx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-11-2010

Good thread. +1

Edit: The person above me is an idiot. There will always be a group of champions that work extremely well together, and there will always be a frequent ban pick.

R3coiler

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-11-2010

+1 to this thread, OP. Here's hoping the annoying know-it-alls show some respect for these excellent players.

Iaw

09-11-2010

Not gonna lie, I came in here to troll, but then I read the OP and actually agree 100%. I've seen this happen with other games as well and its really stupid. I can't wait for example, for someone to ban Nidalee because Hotshot plays her and then the forum is filled with "OMG NID SO OP!" posts.

tl;dr the OP is right, don't be morons.

Darmikau

09-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Of Asgard View Post
Lol...
Bans not indicative of balance...

Then explain the Heimer nerfs. And the Shaco nerfs. And the Ezreal nerfs. And the slight Shen and Garen nerfs...

Oh wait you can't.

I wish more people could understand #2, it would make this game much more fun.
Ranked game bans are based on champions people hate playing against and champions that are FotM.

Competitive, tournament bans are based on team strategies. I'm betting the bans will look totally different from Ranked game bans. For example, if Team A wants to run an AoE team, they'll most likely ban Gragas and Janna. If team B knows team A wants to run an AoE team, they'll ban Fiddles, Katarina, Amumu, Morgana, Vladimir, etc, depending mostly on who they know Team A favors in their AoE composition.

Amumu, Morgana, and Taric are the only champions I expect might be outright banned based solely on the fact that they're very powerful on any team.

Lightstriker

Adjudicator

09-11-2010

Well, stream is now live.
Also, in commentary, they stated they were testing observer mode for league at this tournament. So commentary on that should be rather nice when we get it (also, observer mode. zomfg.)

Sabnitron

09-11-2010

Man, I'm sad I can only upvote this thread once.

svartingr

09-11-2010

I agree with you, OP.

Unfortunately, as the saying goes "Haters gonna hate."

Also: does anyone have a link to the LoL WCG Livestream so I can watch?