Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


So using custom skins and custom splash arts is against the EULA now?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BlueBeanstalk

Senior Member

08-05-2012

Technically speaking, yes. They are against the EULA. However, it is up to Riot's legal division to determine how strictly they enforce a clause in a given situation. Technically, jaywalking is illegal in my state but the police have not written a citation for it since it's inception.

This clause was most likely put in place for a slew of reasons. The reason they wish to prohibit custom skins is due to the fact that if someone recreates the source of a released skin, they can place the files in their folder and gain access to it without paying money. I would think they would invoke this clause if someone copied Pulsefire Ezreal or the potentially upcoming Rocketeer Tristana. If someone made some random skin though, like Clockwerk Morgana, then I don't think they would actually enforce this.



EDIT: I just looked at the actual EULA. The clause in question states "C. Modify or cause to be modified any files that are part of the Software in any way not expressly authorized by Riot Games;"

If it has been authorized by Riot, then it is fine to do. Riot customer support has been wrong on issues in the past. Seeing as how there have been Riot posters in threads about custom skins and item swappers, I think it is fine.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aisha nyan nyan

Senior Member

08-05-2012

Riot pls info


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Praised Glory

Senior Member

08-05-2012

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooow

Riot used to be fine with it, not it's not.

F*king bull sh*t. STOP YOUR F*CKING GREED RIOT.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Seth Lightheart

Senior Member

08-05-2012

Quote:
Chernobyl56:
Technically speaking, yes. They are against the EULA. However, it is up to Riot's legal division to determine how strictly they enforce a clause in a given situation. Technically, jaywalking is illegal in my state but the police have not written a citation for it since it's inception.

This clause was most likely put in place for a slew of reasons. The reason they wish to prohibit custom skins is due to the fact that if someone recreates the source of a released skin, they can place the files in their folder and gain access to it without paying money. I would think they would invoke this clause if someone copied Pulsefire Ezreal or the potentially upcoming Rocketeer Tristana. If someone made some random skin though, like Clockwerk Morgana, then I don't think they would actually enforce this.



EDIT: I just looked at the actual EULA. The clause in question states "C. Modify or cause to be modified any files that are part of the Software in any way not expressly authorized by Riot Games;"

If it has been authorized by Riot, then it is fine to do. Riot customer support has been wrong on issues in the past. Seeing as how there have been Riot posters in threads about custom skins and item swappers, I think it is fine.


Dude, people have been banned for it which is the crazy part!

From the information I gathered the guy was banned for having the client playing the crocodile song every time he picked Ren.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aisha nyan nyan

Senior Member

08-06-2012

Lot's of people wondering about this and a few threads have popped up around the forum so info plz riot.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nexthalo

Junior Member

08-06-2012

Who cares if it's bannable. It was just a free way for poor people who don't help fund their fav game get their rocks off while staring at naked janna. Honestly I'm surprised it took this long to be against EULA.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Varalen

Recruiter

08-06-2012

That is a complete load of ****. Wtf Riot.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JMØØ6

Member

08-06-2012

Quote:
Varalen:
That is a complete load of ****. Wtf Riot.


??????????


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LouisLeGros

Senior Member

08-06-2012

Quote:
Seth Lightheart:
Dude, people have been banned for it which is the crazy part!

From the information I gathered the guy was banned for having the client playing the crocodile song every time he picked Ren.


I've heard a few people say that be people are being banned, I've yet to see any actual evidence of it actually happening. Everything that I've heard so far has been hearsay and until I see some evidence I'm remaining skeptical of the claim that Riot are now banning for visual mods that they have had no problems with for years. Not to mention the allowance of such mods/"breaking" of the EULA has been standard practice in the industry for over a decade for good reason.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rhyme

Senior Member

08-06-2012

Bumping for either proof of bans or a red~