The true evolution

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Resolute Riven

05-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertainlyT View Post
This should be fixed. When was the last time you observed disappearing lasers?
All of the time...

RasCaelestis

05-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMonigle View Post
All of the time...
Huh. I've been using Viktor as a main for a few months and I've never seen -or rather not seen- one of the disappearing lasers.

Desmond Law

05-06-2013

Quote:
All of the time...
Why don't you test things before posting? I've been playing Viktor on a weekly basis and there are no invisi-lazers. Now buzz off, fool.

My main bug with Vik is that no matter what augment you buy, he's a burst mage at heart. That needs to be looked into, because one item does not make a burst mage into a tank. Yes, you can buy RoA and Rylai's but he will still be a burst caster with slightly above average health.

Eastern Mind

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-06-2013

I play a lot of different roles, but Viktor is one of my favored mids (he's certainly up there with Kayle), and I can say as "that one guy who plays Viktor" in my circles that this thread really excites me. I'll go ahead and throw down some of my thoughts about Viktor.

First of all, I sincerely enjoy the "role" that Viktor plays as a team fight nuke-and-harass caster, not even to mention his Gravity Field. A well-placed, well-positioned Chaos Storm into Death Ray in a tight jungle skirmish can handily turn the tide of a losing fight. His amazing burst and control potential makes up for his low mobility and his somewhat clunky feel.

I love his auto attack animation. It's relatively fast and deals solid damage; I almost never have to rely on my Power Transfer to last hit creeps. I might be awfully strange, but I actually build Lich Bane on him frequently just because it adds to the ridiculous nuke potential you have if you've got stacked AP.

A lot of people complain about his hex core limiting his item choice and his ability power potential. I agree with the former statement, but I also want to say that buying Augment: Death will give you just as much ability power (and even more in some cases!) than other items, not to mention the vicious burn damage it adds to your laser. Sure, I wish I could buy Augment: Power occasionally and not feel like a fool, and Augment: Gravity when I'm not getting thrashed in lane, but the argument that the lost slot hurts his viability as a burst caster is certainly invalid.

He is certainly mana hungry, but he is by no means impossible to manage. Picking up a Doran's Ring to start on top of some mana regeneration runes and masteries makes Viktor's early game a lot less passive. I agree, though; you have to ration his mana a bit, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

His Death Ray is amazing. It's the reason I bought him, and it's what makes him so frightening during the lane phase. I still find myself failing to activate it sometimes, though, especially when I'm retreating from enemies or moving around.

I would be all for some visual tuneups, but I'd say don't change his body structure. The way it is now, it works pretty well for him. Like someone said earlier, it's deceptive of his true powers. And personally, I think Viktor looks plain cool!

Finally, goodness... I just absolutely adore his lore. As a tragic villain, as a villain that I feel sympathy for, he's a character with a lot of implied and concealed depth--depth that, I feel like, could easily be brought out with some lore events. Jayce's lore was NOT a good example; if anything, it cheapened Viktor's credibility in a lot of ways. Of course, I love Jayce too, but when I thought about it, the very first thing that came to my mind was "they made Viktor a saturday morning cartoon villain", and that was before I ever read anything about it.

I really appreciate your considerations, Solcrushed! You have me excited to see what directions to which you'll take our lovely Machine Herald!

Terminal Devast

05-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
I play a lot of different roles, but Viktor is one of my favored mids (he's certainly up there with Kayle), and I can say as "that one guy who plays Viktor" in my circles that this thread really excites me. I'll go ahead and throw down some of my thoughts about Viktor.

First of all, I sincerely enjoy the "role" that Viktor plays as a team fight nuke-and-harass caster, not even to mention his Gravity Field. A well-placed, well-positioned Chaos Storm into Death Ray in a tight jungle skirmish can handily turn the tide of a losing fight. His amazing burst and control potential makes up for his low mobility and his somewhat clunky feel.

I love his auto attack animation. It's relatively fast and deals solid damage; I almost never have to rely on my Power Transfer to last hit creeps. I might be awfully strange, but I actually build Lich Bane on him frequently just because it adds to the ridiculous nuke potential you have if you've got stacked AP.

A lot of people complain about his hex core limiting his item choice and his ability power potential. I agree with the former statement, but I also want to say that buying Augment: Death will give you just as much ability power (and even more in some cases!) than other items, not to mention the vicious burn damage it adds to your laser. Sure, I wish I could buy Augment: Power occasionally and not feel like a fool, and Augment: Gravity when I'm not getting thrashed in lane, but the argument that the lost slot hurts his viability as a burst caster is certainly invalid.

He is certainly mana hungry, but he is by no means impossible to manage. Picking up a Doran's Ring to start on top of some mana regeneration runes and masteries makes Viktor's early game a lot less passive. I agree, though; you have to ration his mana a bit, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

His Death Ray is amazing. It's the reason I bought him, and it's what makes him so frightening during the lane phase. I still find myself failing to activate it sometimes, though, especially when I'm retreating from enemies or moving around.

I would be all for some visual tuneups, but I'd say don't change his body structure. The way it is now, it works pretty well for him. Like someone said earlier, it's deceptive of his true powers. And personally, I think Viktor looks plain cool!

Finally, goodness... I just absolutely adore his lore. As a tragic villain, as a villain that I feel sympathy for, he's a character with a lot of implied and concealed depth--depth that, I feel like, could easily be brought out with some lore events. Jayce's lore was NOT a good example; if anything, it cheapened Viktor's credibility in a lot of ways. Of course, I love Jayce too, but when I thought about it, the very first thing that came to my mind was "they made Viktor a saturday morning cartoon villain", and that was before I ever read anything about it.

I really appreciate your considerations, Solcrushed! You have me excited to see what directions to which you'll take our lovely Machine Herald!
^Well said.

I like his lore as well. I never quite saw him as a villain before Jayce's lore showed up, though. Viktor, to me, was always just on the edge whether he'd turn villain, or just apathetic scientist. And I liked that in a champ. Its the sort of character I feel than if I
helped him out, maybe he'd sway a bit more back to the kinder Viktor that he once was.

Jayce's lore set him firmly in the villain catergory... but... I'm sort of cool with this since it seems Viktor is becoming LoL's version of Dr. Wily. That's not a bad thing for Viktor, in my opinion at least.

His look is amazing, and a good part of why I got him... even if I still can't figure out what his cool mask actually looks like.

As for the actual kit. I think Viktor would have some nice potential as a slow mobile champ. As strange as it may seem. As far as I know, Viktor's death ray is one of the few spells that don't interfer with mobility in the game. There are many times where I'd wish I could do the same with gravity well, or even power transfer. It'd help him escape a bit better without increasing his speed at the very least.

I don't want to risk losing something here, but then there's the silence on his ult. I've never seen it be effective for that purpose. There are times I really wanted it for the silence, but I've never seen it take hold.

Talon of Time

05-06-2013

Piltover vs. Zaun next, Riot...Please?

ThermoFusion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Law View Post
My main bug with Vik is that no matter what augment you buy, he's a burst mage at heart. That needs to be looked into, because one item does not make a burst mage into a tank. Yes, you can buy RoA and Rylai's but he will still be a burst caster with slightly above average health.
I agree. While I do love playing him as a burst mage, the augments don't really do enough to change his viablility in different roles. If the augments truly allowed him to choose between being a tank/support/or mage. Then there would be no contest for him as my favorite champ.

Phil Nye

05-06-2013

Quote:
All of the time...
I don't see this myself anymore either. Have you tried him more recently?

Sheogorath

05-06-2013

I'll bump this in hopes of avoiding another several-month information void.

Jowabunga

05-06-2013

I haven't seen disappearing lasers in quite some time.

According to Elobuff, Viktor is now the second least champ in the league, but still has a nearly 50% win rate. I dun get it.