The true evolution

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sephrinx

05-03-2013

1. Invisible lasers aren't fun.
2. 5 Item slots are not fun, and a passive that actually USES an item slot is just absurd.
3. Allow us to purchase a different augment.
4. Tier 3 Augments that effect his ult as well. Such as increase Silence Duration, Increased AoE, Increased initial damage or Increased Duration.

Destructorix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-03-2013

As an avid Viktor player (On EUW), i'd like to highlight the things that, for me, make him different from any other mage in the league, and what i would like to see of him in the future.

1. Cost efficiency: Although many players complain about the Hex Core, i find the item itself being massively strong for it's price(all three augments). For a mere 1000 gold, you get a ton of stats. I never minded having it in my inventory, since it's a very very cost efficient item(although limits your ward spots lategame). Maybe if you could sell the item, or buy it[like Rengar], people would stop complaining about that (i'd bet it would still be amongst the most common items for Viktor)

2. Versatility: And this is the most important point imo. The Hex core's augments give SO much versatility. They let you adapt your playstyle like no other item:
- Need more mobility?, that irelia keeps jumping your face every chance she gets? Get q augment and kite her all around with your shields and movespeed!
- Falling a bit behind?, Need more control on teamfights? Get w augment and transition into a utility mage with your new zoning capabilities!
- Wanna be the most damaging mage early/midgame? Need more poke? Get e augment and melt people all over the battlefield!

3. If would like to see something changed about him, I'd go for tuning the hex core to augment all his abilities into the roles the hex core wants to implement (i.e. Make his hexcore augment all three abilities, but in different forms, depending on which augment did you choose, to adapt even more to the game.(Ofc, numbers would have to be tweaked)

4. He has the best dance in the game!

RyuPhalian

05-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcrushed View Post
Hey guys, troll here.

First of all, I apologize for leaving you guys out in the dark for so long. I can cite a bunch of reasons why the Viktor thing has taken so long but I'm sure you guys don't want to hear about that.

He has not been forgotten, and I will be working on it again as soon as I return to the states next week. (Currently in Korea)

EDIT: Reading this made me realize how amazingly informing this update in X months was. So..

The current place I am at is trying to figure out how complex I want to make his upgraded Cores since he's already a very complex character (Although I am trying out a different upgrade from the leak months ago)
Personally I would like it if you could switch which augment you currently have (at shop) since it would help a lot if you get Augment: Death but then lose lane. Also another tier of augments would be interesting but sadly I can't say for certain since I don't know your current direction with these Augments.

Magni

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-03-2013

I think Viktor only really needs two things:

• Viable Augment options other than Death
  • Better stickiness on his ultimate

Augments are extremely cost-efficient and give Viktor a lot of midgame power. However, Gravity and Power augments are just not good enough compared to Death, so there's little variety here. Most of it is because Death is the only one that really buffs what Viktor is all about: damage. The other augments are rarely picked because they do not suit the optimal Viktor playstyle.

His Q range is a little short but increasing it might make his already good laning even better, which could potentially be broken. However his ultimate could use a slight buff in that the initial cast range is very short, and the cloud speed is very slow (also a lategame AD carry will just lifesteal tank the DoT). I think it could use a QoL buff to make the 2nd part of the ult feel more impactful.

dinoFUNK

05-03-2013

I don't "play" Viktor, in the sense that I consider him to be a champion I can comfortably win with in SR, but I've played him a lot in ARAM. I'd say my biggest hangup with him is that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of payoff for the risks his range necessitates. In particular, Gravity Field feels like a spell that's really dangerous to use. It feels like Event Horizon in that you can use it to catch in lane, disengage, or provide a little extra CC in a teamfight, but it just puts you so far out there to use. It's got a longer effective range than Power Transfer, but PT is something that you can throw out and back up. Gravity Field requires waiting around for the followup, and it's relatively easy to escape. As I said, I'm no Viktor player, so I'm sure there's some nuance to using it that I haven't quite grasped, but I never feel comfortable using it.

Daedälus

05-03-2013

Oh Praise the Glorious Evolution! You have no IDEA how happy i was to see a 5 instead of a 2 for red posts! Thank you Solcrushed, thank you!

Bob the Hobo

05-03-2013

Quote:
Yes, you guys deserve better.
Solcrushed! I was worried something had happened to you! Everything going OK?

I've been giving you and riot a lot of grief lately about Viktor. I know you guys have had a lot on your plates, but I was getting impatient. I'm sorry for being rude to your team (you especially), and appreciate you posting in this thread. It's good to hear from you!

Kaizer Wilhelm

05-03-2013

I played a lot of viktor during his first free week, and for a few weeks after. I'd be more than happy to offer a few opinions on how to get Viktor to a place where he feels like the adaptable mage he was promised to be.

1. The augments are cool, but limiting. The whole which viktor fits the situation best isn't something that comes up once a game, but switches depending on the situation. During sieges and fights where you are safe, you want the laser. During chases and transition periods, you want the power transfer. During a fight's incipience or disengage, you want his gravity field. Perhaps make the upgrade a toggle-able item, that allows you to switch which ability is being upgraded on the fly. Lock the toggle whenever the upgraded ability is on cooldown to avoid people using it to upgrade every ability, it would allow the current three styles of viktor to all shine, but emphasizing his ability to evolve and fit specific situations. This also would finally make his role in fights a lot more interesting: Had to initiate with upgraded w? Your overall damage goes down by comparison to the laser upgrade, but it would open up initiations he didn't have otherwise. Being chased? Swap to your q and enjoy the speed buff, but be ready to switch to w or e if you join up with your team and want to turn around. If viktor is using the laser variation to poke, that is when he'd be easiest to gank, as the added safety of his q and w variations is unavailable to him until his laser is up again. I also think this lines up well with the already set cooldowns, as q would allow him to be adaptable and moderately tanky because it doesn't lock down the variation for long, the w represents an investment in capitalizing on positioning but also punishes misuse, and the e is moderately flexible, but also gives opponents a window for counterplay as it locks out the more defensive variations.
2. Power transfer's base particle speed is either too low, or it's range is too short. Using it to gain an advantage in trades is almost impossible, because the majority of the the abilities you'd wish to trade with either outrange it, or only have to travel half as far before giving their full benefit. As a result, it begins to feel like two different abilities: a shield I get from last hitting a minion which I use to aggressively position for the laser, or a single target nuke that I have a hard time getting in range for that basically only helps during gank attempts. I like the idea that keeping the shield away from me is good counterplay, but if that's the idea, let it be used as a defensive trading tool by upping the range, so characters that rush into me risk giving me more health earlier and losing effectiveness on their abilities.
3. Gravity field is awesome, but a bit unreliable. Viktor often feels like he gives his opponents more options than he gets, and gravity field is the biggest cause of this. When compared to a large aoe stun like veigar's, it just falls short. Perhaps make there be a few more stacks before the stun, and make it a gradual slowing that is sticky for the duration. Only get hit by the edge? Walk out with two slow stacks that represent some soft cc outside of the field. This would allow viktor to utilize it as a primary form of cc that starts fights even if it only slows enemies, or as its current use as a secondary lockdown or zone control.

Honestly, the laser and the ult are both powerful abilities which is why he's seen a small renaissance in competitive play. I can't really recommend changing those much.

I hope this helps~!

ManDudeMcDudeman

05-03-2013

Solcrushed, thanks for the replies. They were a bit late, but the fact that you're still reading and replying to this thread means a lot to us Viktor players.

Draaaaaaavén

05-03-2013

Quote:
Hey guys, troll here.

First of all, I apologize for leaving you guys out in the dark for so long. I can cite a bunch of reasons why the Viktor thing has taken so long but I'm sure you guys don't want to hear about that.

He has not been forgotten, and I will be working on it again as soon as I return to the states next week. (Currently in Korea)

EDIT: Reading this made me realize how amazingly informing this update in X months was. So..

The current place I am at is trying to figure out how complex I want to make his upgraded Cores since he's already a very complex character (Although I am trying out a different upgrade from the leak months ago)
Honestly, I would love to hear anything you wish to share. I really enjoy/am fascinated by the game design and balancing of things. Anything, really.