The true evolution

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YippotheClown

10-31-2012

What I like about Viktor...

- His very-early-game poke. A non-viktor player will think of him as 'laser poke hurts'... first three levels, though, you spend half your time running up to someone to Q them because of the low mana cost, good base damage and shield.
It's a nice variation of playstyle in the very early going.

- The laser. I know a lot of people find it clunky, but I find it responds exactly how I want it to. Note that I don't smartcast - I hit E and click-flick, no time 'trying' to aim. It goes where I tell it to, in the direction I tell it to.

- His ult, particularly when it follows a Talon or Wukong in stealth.

- The reactions of EVERYONE I PLAY AGAINST when I unleash my burst. He bursts harder than a lot of designated 'burst' mages, and noone ever expects it.

- His auto-attack animation is great.

What could be improved:

- I actually find his W clunky and unresponsive. The range is rather short without the augment attached, and even after running into range you have to wait for it to open up, AND wait for it to slow them before it'll stun.

- I like the way his ult works right now - the way that it detects being cast on top of a champion and follows them automatically. However, it can be clunky to change targets, or to specify which champion out of a group you want it to follow; part of this is due to the way there's no real visual key as to what it's doing, whether it's yours or not. You just have to wait for it to move.

- As already discussed dozens of times, his augments do need an overhaul. I love augment death - needing to pay to upgrade my favorite ability is a nice touch, and feels genuinely rewarding - but there's two augments sat there that I will probably never touch. Even if, in rare cases, it might be worth doing... I won't even think about it, because augment:death is so strong it's basically an automatic click for me by now.

Hope that helps, if you're even still reading responses after 100+ pages XD

EDIT : I just noticed the guy posting before me said the exact opposite with regards to farming.

Not sure what's wrong, dude. I find his AA animation really nice, especially compared to champions like Anivia and Fiddle. It's snappy, has a fast projectile speed, and frankly it looks cool.
As for using laser to farm... aside from actually liking the way it's used, I find it genuinely difficult to believe you find it clunky to FARM with. You're firing at essentially static targets, after all; it shouldn't be hard to start it at the melee creeps and aim it into the middle of the casters. You should be one-shotting caster creeps with that laser the second you have your doran's and augment:death.

Th3C0on

10-31-2012

For the love of Christ, please do not change him. He is not broken, the laser doesn't seem to be buggy for me. Smart cast victor is so so much fun. Losing an item slot sucks, but totally worth the extra damage early. He should stay where he is as a semi-competitive fun champion.

Edit: ^ Totally agree about w, I can only use as an escape tool or to zone off a counter gank while i dive. Open, and have to wait for stun is pretty useless; how about the range levels with points into w; then you could add a real support augment (how about his ult blinds as well?).

Perfect Rain

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certainlyt View Post
This should be fixed. When was the last time you observed disappearing lasers?
Unsure. Last I played him, it was happening every 3rd or so laser. Then again, I've been playing support for a team the past 2 months, so not much time to play Viktor.

Wulfy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-31-2012

Yesterday.

WorstGangplankNA

10-31-2012

The idea of giving up an item slot for something that other champs have as a passive is a huge turnoff.

Rustmaker

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certainlyt View Post
This should be fixed. When was the last time you observed disappearing lasers?
Well at least we know that red ARE actually watching this thread.

Professor Maple

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-31-2012

Ok so the main complaint about Viktor is that his augments don't give you enough for your item slot. My idea below expands on his evolving technology and makes him a truly unique champion.

What is gone and what remains

Hexcore - still here gives +3 AP per level
Augment Death, Power, Gravity - Removed

The concept

The Hexcore now can be used to upgrade any "complete" AP item. This means that you can combine the hex core with items like DFG, Death cap, or Unholy Grail. The cost to upgrade is up in the air, maybe scale it with the price of the item you are buying (maybe 500+25% of item cost). The augmented items should have some percentage stat increase (lets say 10% for now) and a unique effect.

Examples

Augmented Rabadon's Deathcap

Builds from The Hex Core, Rabadon's Deathcap, and 1400g (yes this item costs 5000g)
+154 AP (+3 AP per level)
Unique Passive: +30% ability power
Unique Passive: Death Ray sets fire to enemies, dealing 30% additional magic damage over 4 seconds.

Augmented Rod of Ages

Builds from the Hex Core, Rod of Ages, 1259g
+66 AP, 495 Health, 578 Mana
Passive: Stats per minute increased to 22 health, 2.2 AP, and 220 mana
Unique: Restores 275 Health and 220 mana upon level up over 8 seconds
Unique: On kill or assist restores 275 Health and 220 mana over 8 seconds.

Thoughts

I think that there is design space to give Viktor a unique item effect for each AP item. The old augments could be reused on some of the items and new effects could be put on others. A lot of this is inspired by Aghanim from Dota. I know this would be a lot of work for Riot but I think it would turn Viktor into the unique champion he was meant to be. In closing my numbers aren't balanced but let me know what you think of the idea.

BlueCarrot

10-31-2012

So, I'm sure this wont read but w/.

I bought him and played thru his buffs and have to say he isnt fun at all. Dropping his stun in a crowded areas breaks teamfights but what does he do that say amumu/leona doesnt? he cant chain cc hes not inherently tanky and he seems to be intended as ap carry on top of that.

Basically its not clear what he should do or how to accel at it. This makes trying to learn him unfun and hard.

TL;DR I want a clear cut objective and weakness not a mishmash of confused spells that dont feel rewarding when used

CaptainTempest

10-31-2012

I have no problems with aiming his E. It's the same exact targeting system as Rumble's ult. I don't get why people are complaining about it so much.

Also, haven't tried to see if the disappearing laser thing was fixed, but I'm gonna go check now.

Magni

10-31-2012

I actually really like Viktor as he is right now.

I don't mind being forced to buy Augments, either. They are great and cheap items for mid-game and still strong lategame. They allow Viktor to scale extremly well with items. They also allow him to forgo some early damage thanks to the Hex Core passive, if needed.

The only issue I have with Viktor's passive is that there isn't a real decision to be made as far as choosing Augments. Augment: Death is almost always the best pick (if you have a poke/glass cannon playstyle) and Augment: Power is almost always a bad one. Augment: Gravity is okay.

The only change I'd like to see is a rework of Augment: Power and the ability to switch Augments at will.