The true evolution

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jakeoti

09-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLIKEextacy View Post
WTF!
WHERE IS THE ONE FOR KARMA.
AS l RECALLED, YOU GUYS SAID YOU WERE GOING TO DO KAT BEFORE KARMA BECAUSE KAT CAME BEFORE KARMA!
WTF RIOT!!
KARMA NEEDS IT MORE THAN RETARDED VICTOR. (DON'T TRY TO MAKE NAMES SOUND COOL BY ADDING/CHANGING LETTERS THAT ARE UNNECESSARY AKA JAYCE, ASHE, VAYNE, EVELYNN )
Where's the caps lock rework?

Also, Kat seems like she had a pretty easy fix. Not much changed. Karma might need a lot of work, and they might have different teams on each.

Also, Viktor is actually a common spelling of the name, especially for Russian/Ukrainian.

Garband

09-10-2012

Viktor players: Why did you decide to play Viktor and what do you like/dislike the most about him currently?

I'm a new Vik player.

I've always been interested in him since he came out, but alas I never really tried him until his last free week (I've been playing since before Gragas came out), due to everyone saying he's bad and trash, etc....

Why did I decide to play Viktor? Because I looked up his ratios and decided he's actually a really strong mage. Plus his kit is actually unique.

Sadly, though, I find more to dislike than to like. His ratios and base damages make him quite strong, yet he has bugs that are both annoying and hinder playability.

His passive reminds me of Renekton's. Pretty useless as an "ability." It's more like a description. it tells you what the item you start with does (Renekton's tells you what his resource is and how it works).

The only augment other than Death I've ever considered (but haven't tried yet) is Gravity, just because half the time I feel like casting W is a waste in lane. I actually end up only using it to zone people, rather than actually slow or stun anyone.

Also, no matter how you level your skills up, at level 6 you do the same base damage no matter what. QWQEER = QWQEQR = QWEEER (I dunno if that's even possible as I can't remember the intervals on leveling skills, but the math adds up regardless). I only change my skill order based on if I need to farm more, or if I need to harass/kill more. This may not really be a problem, but other mages actually have more tradeoffs when they change their skill order.

Rank 5 Q is almost half the mana cost and cool down as E, yet does more damage + shields. It (Q) is easily my favorite skill on Viktor for laning because it's a huge nuke + shield, for low mana/cd. E I only use to farm caster minions (which even if I level E first I still have to have augment Death to clear the back wave with it.. if it even works right).

And lastly, his ult. The silence is only good for someone channeling abilities, in my opinion. I would use it so the enemy couldn't flash out of my W or something, but W takes 1.5 seconds to stun (which seems like a really long wait to me).
I've never actually had a use for the silence because usually the channel abilities are already interrupted by the time I got in range and cast my ult for the silence.

And then, once you cast the ult, moving it around is slow as hell, and most people just run away if they have boots and at least 1 movespeed quint, even if I drop W, they almost always outrun the cloud, forcing me to flash for another Q, E, or wasting my ignite for the last 100 damage.

Maleficus Nex

09-10-2012

Viktor impressed me when he was introduced due to the fascinating character and lore, the powerful (and fun to use) kit, and the innovative passive. However, I never purchased him because of that last one; the passive simply felt underwhelming.

The first, glaring issue is this: "The Hex Core can only be upgraded once, and cannot be sold back to the store." This stipulation forces the player into a role that may not remain viable as the game goes on. The player ought to have the freedom to "downgrade" so that they may adapt to the game. Such flexibility would increase Viktor's viability significantly simply by allowing him to "evolve" with the match and act as a flex play. One way to do this -- and I find this would be the simplest -- is to offer a modification to the Core in the same way one would upgrade an item, but at 50% - 66% of the original upgrade cost. This adds a reasonable cost to the switch without damning the player to a playstyle unfit for the situation.

e.g. Player builds Augment: Power at the cost of 1000g for early game damage. Late game, the team requires more utility, so he pays 650g at the store to alter his core to Augment: Gravity.

Another issue with the passive, as has been mentioned many times, is the restriction to only one augmented ability. The changes feel insignificant, and do not contribute to the flow of his kit, not to mention the exclusion of the ultimate. With Syndra's release on the horizon, there is no longer any reason to limit Viktor in this way. Instead, each Augment should affect each ability to reflect the three uses: damage output (Death), utility (Gravity), and survivability (Power). I suggest that the item be given a final tier which augments the ultimate as well.

The final point I shall touch on is the stats. As many have mentioned, those on Power and Gravity are rather underwhelming and neither make any noticeable impact on Viktor's performance nor properly reflect the roles the Augments are meant to enhance.

As such, I present my proposed changes to each part, beginning with...

Augment: Death
This is the least problematic, as it is currently Viktor's only viable upgrade. The ability power (+99 @ L18) feels good, and the DoT feels good. The issue is that that's all you get. There's no "wow" factor, no change in playstyle. You use Death Ray the same as always, just with a little extra reward. Simply adding damage to the other abilities wouldn't work either -- it fails to affect gameplay choices. Instead, how about damage modifiers? This upgrade should live up to its name, and turn Viktor into a relentless killing machine; here's how.
-- When an AP carry gets surrounded, it's pretty well over. Viktor, in all of his cunning, should go out with a bang. With a Death augmented Power Transfer, he stores extra energy which bursts outward when the shield is broken early, dealing AoE damage. That way, the enemy will have to think twice about taking him down, and may let him wreak havoc until the shield dissolves.
-- Death Ray's current DoT enhancement meshes well, as paired with the long reach the extra damage can mow down the stragglers as they flee and cower in the brush.
-- Gravity Field provides excellent CC, but no damage. The stacking nature of the CC creates an opportunity for additional peril: have the stacks increase damage taken, and have the increments increase (e.g. 3%, 5%, then 10%). Clever placement would cause teams to burn precious escapes (Graves dash, or Flash) rather than risk a devastating 10% increase in damage taken on top of the stun.
-- Chaos Storm is powerful, but quite slow and with a limited area. How do you make it more deadly? Make it faster. Make it bigger. Augment: Death (or, preferably, the third tier) should cause the singularity to gain speed and size over time, like a true hurricane. Make the enemy feel real fear in the knowledge that every moment they spend in the fight, the less chance they have to escape.

Augment: Power
This piece strikes me as the survivability upgrade, yet 200 health and a measly 6HP5 do little to allow Viktor to survive against super minions, let alone in a teamfight. Instead, the health amount should compare with Rylai's, at about 500. Drop the HP5 -- Viktor has no use for passive stats, especially so low -- and add Spell Vamp. Nothing outrageous, 10% should do, but enough to make that survivability bonus noticeable and promote more aggressive, point-blank gameplay, as it should.
-- Add a % MR/AR drain to Power Transfer, and the skill gains versatility. Viktor may weaken the enemy Vayne just enough to polish her off quickly, or preserve himself by nabbing a chunk of defenses from Singed. Make the drain last only as long as Viktor's shield holds, and his extra durability presents the other team with a choice: spend damage to break the shield, or risk the weakened ally?
-- Death Ray is Viktor's multi-target nuke, with the bonus of his ability to cast it while moving. Add a damage output reduction debuff to the beam and watch as Viktor baits the enemy team, only to gimp them with a mid-stride laser for his teammates to close in for the Ace.
-- Now, here's the tricky part. "How," you clever, sexy people may ask, "could Gravity Field possibly contribute to survivability?" "Well, you beautiful genius, you," I respond in my most seductive voice, "it can stack on Viktor as well." Gasp! But how? Simple: if Viktor wants to get down and dirty in the middle of the fray (we all know he does), then he needs to live to tell of his sexy escapades. While standing in Gravity Field's effect, he gains stacks which slow him but increase AR and MR. At three stacks, his armour locks, rendering him invulnerable and untargetable, but unable to act, for 1.5s (same function as Zhonya's). Using this wisely, Viktor can lure the sexy party right into a stunfest, and live to tell the tale.
-- A singularity is a mysterious, unpredictable force. Viktor has the brains to harness each of its many possible uses. With the third-tier Augment: Power, Viktor can use the Chaos Storm to recharge his health and mana by a moderate amount for every second he stays within range.

Augment: Gravity
Last, but certainly not least, we have what strikes me as the utility upgrade. The CDR feels right, but the other stats are a tad lacking. Doubling them to 400mp and 10MP5 should make it feel better. As one would expect upon seeing the word "utility", this build aims to make Viktor a viable choice for the 0cs support role.
-- The original speed buff on Power Transfer works better here, as a quick boost can mean the difference between a kill/death or a narrow escape. However, on Viktor alone it fails to make much sense for a support option. Thus, drop the buff to 20% and have Viktor charge all allies in his vicinity, as a weaker Shurelya's.
-- The Death Ray deals, well, death, so the utility possibilities may not seem apparent at first. However, Viktor's opponents may not find it so ice to meet him in lane after a quick freeze ray modification. Augment: Gravity adds a frost filter to Viktor's death ray, immobilizing targets hit and leaving a trail of ice which slows enemies who cross, so he can really give his lane opponents the cold shoulder.
-- Since it allows Viktor to funnel opponents into an ambush or prevent their escape, the extended range on Gravity Field provides enough utility as-is.
-- Once upgraded to the third tier, Augment: Gravity should harness the gravitational pull of the singularity, knocking enemies hit by the initial cast towards the center and sucking in others who pass through the storm later (as with Wukong, the knockback would occur only once per Champion).

I find that changes such as these would not only make Viktor viable, but also make him the Champion he deserves to be: an AP-based cyborg who may evolve and adapt to the situation and, more important, the preferred playstyle of the Summoner.

Ask the Herald

09-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficus Nex View Post
Viktor impressed me when he was introduced due to the fascinating character and lore, the powerful (and fun to use) kit, and the innovative passive. However, I never purchased him because of that last one; the passive simply felt underwhelming.

The first, glaring issue is this: "The Hex Core can only be upgraded once, and cannot be sold back to the store." This stipulation forces the player into a role that may not remain viable as the game goes on. The player ought to have the freedom to "downgrade" so that they may adapt to the game. Such flexibility would increase Viktor's viability significantly simply by allowing him to "evolve" with the match and act as a flex play. One way to do this -- and I find this would be the simplest -- is to offer a modification to the Core in the same way one would upgrade an item, but at 50% - 66% of the original upgrade cost. This adds a reasonable cost to the switch without damning the player to a playstyle unfit for the situation.

e.g. Player builds Augment: Power at the cost of 1000g for early game damage. Late game, the team requires more utility, so he pays 650g at the store to alter his core to Augment: Gravity.

Another issue with the passive, as has been mentioned many times, is the restriction to only one augmented ability. The changes feel insignificant, and do not contribute to the flow of his kit, not to mention the exclusion of the ultimate. With Syndra's release on the horizon, there is no longer any reason to limit Viktor in this way. Instead, each Augment should affect each ability to reflect the three uses: damage output (Death), utility (Gravity), and survivability (Power). I suggest that the item be given a final tier which augments the ultimate as well.

The final point I shall touch on is the stats. As many have mentioned, those on Power and Gravity are rather underwhelming and neither make any noticeable impact on Viktor's performance nor properly reflect the roles the Augments are meant to enhance.

This is the least problematic, as it is currently Viktor's only viable upgrade. The ability power (+99 @ L18) feels good, and the DoT feels good. The issue is that that's all you get. There's no "wow" factor, no change in playstyle. You use Death Ray the same as always, just with a little extra reward. Simply adding damage to the other abilities wouldn't work either -- it fails to affect gameplay choices. Instead, how about damage modifiers? This upgrade should live up to its name, and turn Viktor into a relentless killing machine; here's how.
-- When an AP carry gets surrounded, it's pretty well over. Viktor, in all of his cunning, should go out with a bang. With a Death augmented Power Transfer, he stores extra energy which bursts outward when the shield is broken early, dealing AoE damage. That way, the enemy will have to think twice about taking him down, and may let him wreak havoc until the shield dissolves.
-- Death Ray's current DoT enhancement meshes well, as paired with the long reach the extra damage can mow down the stragglers as they flee and cower in the brush.
-- Gravity Field provides excellent CC, but no damage. The stacking nature of the CC creates an opportunity for additional peril: have the stacks increase damage taken, and have the increments increase (e.g. 3%, 5%, then 10%). Clever placement would cause teams to burn precious escapes (Graves dash, or Flash) rather than risk a devastating 10% increase in damage taken on top of the stun.
-- Chaos Storm is powerful, but quite slow and with a limited area. How do you make it more deadly? Make it faster. Make it bigger. Augment: Death (or, preferably, the third tier) should cause the singularity to gain speed and size over time, like a true hurricane. Make the enemy feel real fear in the knowledge that every moment they spend in the fight, the less chance they have to escape.

This piece strikes me as the survivability upgrade, yet 200 health and a measly 6HP5 do little to allow Viktor to survive against super minions, let alone in a teamfight. Instead, the health amount should compare with Rylai's, at about 500. Drop the HP5 -- Viktor has no use for passive stats, especially so low -- and add Spell Vamp. Nothing outrageous, 10% should do, but enough to make that survivability bonus noticeable and promote more aggressive, point-blank gameplay, as it should.
-- Add a % MR/AR drain to Power Transfer, and the skill gains versatility. Viktor may weaken the enemy Vayne just enough to polish her off quickly, or preserve himself by nabbing a chunk of defenses from Singed. Make the drain last only as long as Viktor's shield holds, and his extra durability presents the other team with a choice: spend damage to break the shield, or risk the weakened ally?
-- Death Ray is Viktor's multi-target nuke, with the bonus of his ability to cast it while moving. Add a damage output reduction debuff to the beam and watch as Viktor baits the enemy team, only to gimp them with a mid-stride laser for his teammates to close in for the Ace.
-- Now, here's the tricky part. "How," you clever, sexy people may ask, "could Gravity Field possibly contribute to survivability?" "Well, you beautiful genius, you," I respond in my most seductive voice, "it can stack on Viktor as well." Gasp! But how? Simple: if Viktor wants to get down and dirty in the middle of the fray (we all know he does), then he needs to live to tell of his sexy escapades. While standing in Gravity Field's effect, he gains stacks which slow him but increase AR and MR. At three stacks, his armour locks, rendering him invulnerable and untargetable, but unable to act, for 1.5s (same function as Zhonya's). Using this wisely, Viktor can lure the sexy party right into a stunfest, and live to tell the tale.
-- A singularity is a mysterious, unpredictable force. Viktor has the brains to harness each of its many possible uses. With the third-tier Augment: Power, Viktor can use the Chaos Storm to recharge his health and mana by a moderate amount for every second he stays within range.

Last, but certainly not least, we have what strikes me as the utility upgrade. The CDR feels right, but the other stats are a tad lacking. Doubling them to 400mp and 10MP5 should make it feel better. As one would expect upon seeing the word "utility", this build aims to make Viktor a viable choice for the 0cs support role.
-- The original speed buff on Power Transfer works better here, as a quick boost can mean the difference between a kill/death or a narrow escape. However, on Viktor alone it fails to make much sense for a support option. Thus, drop the buff to 20% and have Viktor charge all allies in his vicinity, as a weaker Shurelya's.
-- The Death Ray deals, well, death, so the utility possibilities may not seem apparent at first. However, Viktor's opponents may not find it so ice to meet him in lane after a quick freeze ray modification. Augment: Gravity adds a frost filter to Viktor's death ray, immobilizing targets hit and leaving a trail of ice which slows enemies who cross, so he can really give his lane opponents the cold shoulder.
-- Since it allows Viktor to funnel opponents into an ambush or prevent their escape, the extended range on Gravity Field provides enough utility as-is.
-- Once upgraded to the third tier, Augment: Gravity should harness the gravitational pull of the singularity, knocking enemies hit by the initial cast towards the center and sucking in others who pass through the storm later (as with Wukong, the knockback would occur only once per Champion).

I find that changes such as these would not only make Viktor viable, but also make him the Champion he deserves to be: an AP-based cyborg who may evolve and adapt to the situation and, more important, the preferred playstyle of the Summoner.
I want to have your babies! THIS IS AMAZING!

Mogarl

09-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficus Nex View Post

I wrote a suggestion a couple pages back but see now that this would be much better. I will now consider you an amazing person.

Desmond Law

09-11-2012

Guys, would you just reference to the dude instead of quoting his post... twice?

Vicious Virginia

09-11-2012

I <3 the idea of his laser and his upgrades, but I feel as if synergy between the skills aren't there

Cameryn Kyre

09-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcrushed View Post
Viktor players: Why did you decide to play Viktor and what do you like/dislike the most about him currently?
He was different. Plain and simple, I was excited to see something unique in mid, not just another standard mage who excels at one thing... Like Xerath being a vanilla mage that just has rediculous range.

After picking him up, I really loved how skill intensive he was with the aiming of his E, the utility of using E to check brush, the control over his ultimate and the speed of it varying with the direction viktor was running. His W was a cool stun mechanic. Similar to Veigars but obviously unique. And his Q was a great trading tool that wasn't a mindless cast-on-cd like Transfusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcrushed View Post
Any kind of general observations/suggestions about Viktor is also welcome!)
I think his kit is perfectly fine, it's really just his passive that needs work.

I think the item should have a two-fold upgrade path. Perhaps even two different choices for each of the 3 primary choices.

I think making the first upgrade 475-800 with gold efficient stats + factoring in that it's his PASSIVE would make a very good early game item. Not every upgrade has to be the same gold either. Then add an upgrade in that same path or the ability to buy more stats. Like, specifically buying more MP & MP5 or more CDR in the blue upgrade; more HP & HP5 in the yellow upgrade; or more AP or MPen in the red upgrade.

The possibilities to tweaking his passive are really boundless... just like evolution.

And that's how Viktor should feel, I think.

Honestly when he came out I had the hopes for a truly customizable champion for once. Some champs have different viable builds. like Sion, but mostly there's one way a champion should be played and one optimized build path. With Viktor I'd like to actually have a reason to go with yellow or blue. And I'd hope for something more creative than nerfing Red :x...

Mayobe

09-11-2012

Bought Viktor when he came out. Played for a little while and dumped him fast.

Missing item slot due to augment.
Ult feels less than spectacular.
His slow/stun thingy is cool.
The attack/shield thingy is too.
I'm sure the laser would be cool if it were easier to use and actually worked. It's too hard to aim quickly and it glitches way too often, so when you line up that perfect shot you're probably out of luck anyway.

Other than that he's okay, I guess. Maybe make the augments like Rengar's where you can choose to buy one of them, but don't get the mandatory 'missing slot' for the one that's really just his passive. I mean that's the really big thing to me. Item-slot real estate is sort of at a premium, you know?

Semiautomagic

09-11-2012

I've played Viktor some, but mostly a lot when he first came out because I really wanted to like him.

My main problems with him is the laser and his grav-field:

The laser either bugs and is invisible, or doesn't bug and is really easy to dodge. I wouldn't care about that so much if it did enough damage to warrant the dodgability, but it's not like it's hard-hitting. Just making the animation slightly faster would help it tremendously. I see no problem with the thickness of the skill shot or anything else, but either the animation needs to move faster, or it needs to do more damage so it's more punishing when it does hit (assuming the invisible laser bug gets sorted out).

His grav-field is less of a problem, it's just that the slow on it isn't enough to actually catch enemies in the stun. I have seen, on numerous occasions, champions traverse the entire diameter of the AoE without getting stunned. It's not like they were using any MS steroids or stacking MS (i.e. multiple PDs), they just ran across it and got out. At later levels it's a little better as it gets up to 50% (I think?) slow, but compared to some other AoE slows like Karthus' wall, it seems underwhelming (I know it probably got balanced out that way because it has a stun on it, but still).

The core could also use work, seeing as it's taking up a valuable item slot, and you don't get a lot of gain out of it. I'm not even sure how to go about buffing it as there are essentially 3 different items to work on, and it's really easy to accidentally make items OP.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts on him. This turned out to be a little more verbose than I intended, but I just really like Viktor. His whole concept and character design are awesome, and I would love to see him become a viable pick.