Is it bad that I like Dominion more than Summoner's rift?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mr Mags

08-07-2012

I quit SR cause of the rage people have if you dont follow the meta. I got tired of not picking fast enough and getting stuck with support and god forbid if i dont pick what the meta requires.

What I love about dominion is how every game teh team comps are so diffrent, or hell even the builds people use are way out there.

Beefcayk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-17-2012

One of the things I have simply came to enjoy more about Dom vs SR is the fact that the game can change and sway very easily. There have been many games where you start off, completely dominating. Half way through the game, the game changes and the losing side now has a chance. It works both ways, in your favor, and against you. But overall the other team doesnt just give up after a couple kills.

There is almost always a chance to win, because feeding an enemy is no where NEAR as devastating as feeding the wrong carry in SR. The other selling point about Dominion, is the games take way less time, and are faster paced! Overall, I absolutely love Dom (while a lot of my SR friends hate on me for playing it)

CommodoreSkippy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-17-2012

I still play SR on rare occasion, only with friends who haven't seen the light of Dom yet. I'm still competent at it, I just find that I have to keep my more aggressive Dominion-learned instincts in check.
And I pretty much only ever go mid or support. Support because it's different, mid because it's the most PvP lane early game.

I think I've pinned down the thing about SR that I find the most boring. In SR you are primarily playing against the game, not the players. You're playing the last-hitting game, the minion-pushing game, the jungle game (which is made up of the PvE game and the Timer game), the sustain game, the gold efficiency game.

SNORE.

For the first 20 minutes, any player combat is generally limited to harassment and a few seconds-long pushes or ganks. I think it's safe to say you spend 90% of your time deliberately NOT fighting your opponent. Why do I want to play a Team vs. Team game that discourages team combat for half of the game?

I don't, so I play Dom.

BigBananaBoat

08-17-2012

I wouldn't still be playing LoL if I hadn't switched to dom. Once I hit 30 and started playing ranked I became quickly burned out on SR. Way too much raging and not nearly enough action. Dom isn't perfect, but most of the solo que games I play are fun and thats what matters.

NamKim

08-17-2012

There is a study that shows the average American's attention span is around 45-50 minutes. Now, ignoring all games that ends at 20 minutes due to surrendering (also, any game that ends at 20 minutes is boring anyways since one side was clearly superior to the other), the average League of Legends game can span somewhere from 30 to 70 minutes. As satisfying game is one that is not too short nor is it too long. A game from 40-50 minutes is a good game length. By the time a good game is over, we reached our mental exhaustion point. We need to take a break and then play again. However, most of our games are probably too short or too long. If a team surrenders, it is definitely not satisfying.

Dominion, is too short to surrender and there is a comeback factor so it forces us to still be actively be part of the game. On SR, it is too easy to get into the rhythm of just passively last hitting. On SC, you can't be like that. You have to be alert constantly or else you can die and turn the entire game around. The game is also short enough that by the time we're done playing a game, we still have enough energy to start another one with a little break in between. We are not reaching that mental exhaustion point. So, we keep wanting to play Dominion since we never got to the "Ah, now my Dominion cravings are satisfied." We keep playing more and more. This is why Dominion is more enjoyable, it is not too long or too short.

Why do you think a television show is usually 30 minutes long? Unless it is a very good show where it is an hour? Unless the movie is very interesting, most of us probably want to take out our phones and text during a movie.

tl;dr: Dominion is such a perfect game length that it makes it fun, enjoyable, and intense without tiring us out. Summoner's Rift is different where finding the "ideal game" is much harder. When you do go against opponents that makes the game fun, the game stays at a stalemate for far too long where it makes the players lose interest.
==========================
Edit: Also, I played SR today and I realized that my SR skills have rusted up pretty badly...granted that my team was just overall bad (me included). Our Riven lost to Wukong and fed him. My AD couldn't last hit for the life of him. The jungler just ganked random lanes instead of the ones that were good to gank. The support Taric (me)'s wards were all destroyed so he stopped warding and he kept defending his tower to the very end... Yeah...I think I should stick with Dominion now...

Eyemite

08-19-2012

Yeah while winning an SR match can be fun and for sure has been fun I just throw it in the mix every now and then, because honestly it just takes to long, and your 100% more apt to get trash talked. In dominion the games are pretty quick so people don't care as much *usually*. If they somehow found a way to implement a more sped up mode or SR I might play it more again 45-60 minutes of losing just sucks no matter how you cut it.

Zeoroot

08-19-2012

żBad?

It actually means you know what good taste is, so welcome

cpudemon

08-19-2012

I only play Dom now, a lot of my friends play SR and always give me **** for not playing but I don't care really I enjoy Dom and that's all that matters

Fap2Irelia

08-20-2012

Dominion is my inner demon release mechanism.

I'm glad that Riot appreciates my monetary contributions.

I hope they understand that I can't control myself when I get angry at the players who don't know how to play(yet)

I am the boss at my work. And sadly, I work with useless people.... so what I want to say to those co-workers gets sort of held back for that first fail game of the day in Dominion.

Don't take it personally, folks... I'd be eating 3 meals a day in a cell with slower internets and some gym equipment and free education, costing you upwards of 90k a year in taxes... if I did not have Dominion if I had my way.... but for the sake of fairness..... those useless **** still exist.

I prefer the job with enough for 1 meal a day, thanks.

Jaghut Tyrant

08-20-2012

Welcome to the club