Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why wasn't Katarina's Killer Instincts remade yet?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Theorycrafter

08-01-2012

Not to sound hostile, but I played Katarina for years and the skill is litterally the worst skill after Eve's previous passive, making it a blemish on otheriwse fun, high-risk high reward assassin, of which we have fewer and fewer lately. Why wasn't Katarina's Killer Instincts skill remade yet?

Allow me to stress it out for You.
Killer Instincts effects are as follows:
- 8-24 autoattack damage - only bonus the skill grants on itself
- Used in conjunction with BB - no damage loss on bounce and grevious wound application
- Used in conjunction with Shunpo - Damage reduction % for 3 seconds
- 8-24 damage to BB and Lotus, making the skills deal roughly 68 / 108 / 147 / 186 / 224 and 68 / 91 / 114 base damage respectively. Compare these to Ryze's Spell Flux and Brand's Pyroclasm damage potentials and tell me if those sound any OP to you *with* that skill.
See any pattern?

The point is, the skill *does nothing on its own* besides giving you autoattack damage. It's just torn away bonuses of Katarina's QER skills she should have on those skills naturally in the first place.
She *needs* Killer Instincts bonuses for QER skills to for those skills to be balanced.
What that makes Killer Instincts? A filler, badly designed skill with forced synergy that grants no complexity nor choice-making to Katarina in any way. Just use KI BB for harassment/poking/healing reduction and KI Shunpo for all else.My opinion, and I hope you agree with me here, is that she could definitely use a remake on that skill - here, the consensus is that it should be either:
a) A pure utility skill dealing no damage
or
b) A primarily AD-oriented short range, moderate damage skill with a mild CC like 2 second slow or 3 second magic res reduction(this option considers there will be no more 8-24 more damage on BB and Lotus, thus not making the entire set broken with Voracity)
Naturally, I'm not suggesting anything, I'm just saying that *anything* would be better than current KI and her QER deserve the bonuses KI grant to the skills naturally, making KI a poorly designed, filler skill.

I don't advocate the removal of the skill's bonuses, nor do I say those bonuses are bad. Only, that they should be the natural part of the QER skills respectively, which makes KI a badly designed filler skill that does almost nothing by itself. In fact, QER skills are *underpowered* without the bonuses given by Killer Instincts, making it all the more justified to move the bonuses to QER skills and give her a brand new W skill.

Any love for Katarina and her phantom dancers, Riot, Community?
By all means, prove me wrong.

Holy Malevolence

08-01-2012

You'll get something better than killer instincts when Voracity's gone.

Theorycrafter

08-01-2012

Quote:
DivineMalignance:
You'll get something better than killer instincts when Voracity's gone.

Voracity is the only reason people play Katarina.
A great passive doesn't mean she should have only 2 normal skills.
I wouldn't mind if Killer Instincts was a pure utility skill that deals no damage, but it should have at least *some* connection to her kit. As it is, it's just frankenstein of torn bonuses to her other 3 skills, not a skill on its own.

Momento Morì

08-01-2012

How do you figure? Tons of extra damage on your Ult and Q and a power up that either makes you really tanky or really buffs up your Q's damage.

What's the problem?

Quickdash

08-01-2012

I think they should make killer instincts Q debuff also increase her damage done by 5-10%

PretzelBread

08-01-2012

The passive on her w also increases all of her spell damage too, so each hit of her ult does 24 damage more. So that's an extra 240 damage on her ulti.

Proteus12

08-01-2012

Quote:
IAmTheSpoon:
Not to sound hostile, but I played Katarina for years and the skill is litterally the worst skill after Eve's previous passive, making it a blemish on otheriwse fun, high-risk high reward assassin, of which we have fewer and fewer lately. Why wasn't Katarina's Killer Instincts skill remade yet?

It is a filler skill, it does *nothing* by itself but give 8 to 24 whoop-dee-doo damage on autoattacks and I really think Katarina wouldn't mind implementing the current elements of the 3 KI effects ie healing reduction/max damage on BB bounce, Shunpo damage reduction and damage increase into skills and give her a new skill altogether.

A primarily AD-oriented, short range active skill with the 8-24 autoattack passive preferably, but of course, that is subject to debate.
What matters is, that this is one of the most poorly designed skills and it hardly fits into Katarina's current kit.

Any love for Katarina and her phantom dancers, Riot, Community?

You forgot the part where it adds damage to her Q and R too.

Theorycrafter

08-01-2012

Quote:
Momento Morì:
How do you figure? Tons of extra damage on your Ult and Q and a power up that either makes you really tanky or really buffs up your Q's damage.

What's the problem?

The problem is that this could as well be just given, the skill is just filler and you wouldn't really feel any difference.
It's just not impactful *on its own*

Quote:
Proteus12:
You forgot the part where it adds damage to her Q and R too.

Quote:
PretzelBread:
The passive on her w also increases all of her spell damage too, so each hit of her ult does 24 damage more. So that's an extra 240 damage on her ulti.

Yep, I did not forget the bonus damage. They could as well be parts of the ultimate and Q/E respectively and they would still be balanced skills, considering the new W would not be a damage-dealing skill.

Holy Malevolence

08-01-2012

Quote:
IAmTheSpoon:

A great passive doesn't mean she should have only 2 normal skills.

A great passive doesn't.
A passive that would be half past overpowered on any champion not specifically made terrible due to it does.

Seriously.
Kat will probably see no improvements while she has that passive.

Ash Ketchum Red

08-01-2012

real pros activate it way before starting a fight. then shunpo and activate it again since the cooldown timer starts on activation and not usage. then you ult.