Lutzburg's Champion Concept Mega Thread

1234511 ... 15
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lutzburg

05-11-2014

Introduction
Hello, my name is Lutzburg! I'm a professional game designer and enjoy designing champions in my free time. Over the last two years or so, I have come up with over 70 unique concepts in varying degrees of polish and completeness. As a professional in the game industry, I kept these designs private given the very slim chance that they might actually see some real world use someday. However, enough time has passed since I first created them and they've just been gathering dust on a 200+ page Google Doc. I think it's finally time I shared these ideas with the League of Legends community in the hopes that the community can both find inspiration in my work and also help me improve and continue honing my craft. Thanks for reading!

Release Schedule
My plan is to release my concepts at somewhat regular intervals every couple of days so that the community doesn't become overloaded with my content. This also gives me time to add a little more polish to each concept, such as being able to include reference art and ability icons. Each Champion's name is listed below, broken into categories based on their roles. I'll create a new topic for each one as I release them, then link their names below to their corresponding topic.

Champion Index

Note: Some of the concepts you may read can be over two years old. The game has changed a lot in that amount of time, so some concepts may no longer be as relevant or novel as they once were, and some concepts have since been explored by official champions introduced into the game.

Marksmen
Alcarus, Shard of the Void
Otto, the Hextech Merchant
Leo, the Star of Piltover
Rafa, Guardian of the Flames
A.I.S.E., the Steam Soldier
Penrose, the Pride of Bilgewater
Axel and Pinwheel, the Bandle City Bandits

Supports
Demura, Reflection of Demacia
Oliver, the Imaginative Youth
Nico, the Magnetic Mage
Navia, the Unheeded Prophet
Lydia, the Ethereal Seamstress
Sprocket, the Conniving Contraptionist
Mitsukai, Emissary from the Clouds
Havel, the War Hero
Greystone, the Seismic Shaman
Agatha, the Encroacher
Escher, the Architect
Yura, Winter's Herald
Fritz, the Hextech Medic

Mages
Varian, the Frostfire Golem
Richter, the Crystalline Miner
Pastel, the Wandering Artist
Annabelle, the Forsaken Bride
Percy, the Devious Opportunist
Dahlia, the Withering Maiden
Verica, Revenant from the Stars
Letha, the Remorseful Conduit
Imena, the Dreamwalker
Damek, the Earthcaller
Sharra, the Shadow Priestess
Donovan, Lightning's Call
Magnus, the Observer
Ariem, the Shadow's Spirit
Verrix, Master of Glass
Cornelius, the Gold Miner
Moira, the Stargazer

Fighters
Kuro, Guardian of the Shrines
"Doubletime", the Courier of Demacia
Flint, the Bombardier
Ze'ki, the Sly
Frolov, Commander of the Skies

Bruisers
Atlas, the Thundering Templar
Nicholai, the Curator of Energy
Thalius, the Arcane Blacksmith
Doran, the Master Forger
Constantine, the Spectral Rider
Locke, Death's Command
Ambrose, the Harvester

Tanks
Dredgeback, the Legend of Bilgewater
Oberis, the Decrepit Knight
Rothar, Emissary of the Trolls
Barnaby, the Hextech Driller
Gemini, the War-Torn Descendent
Solomon, the Resplendent Arbitrator
Klaus, the Jovial Chameleon

Assassins
Cathartes, Scavenger of the Rift
Penumbra, the Noxian Spymaster
Echo, the Maven of Silence
Kajarhi, Father of the Blades
Cabar, the Dimensional Phantom

Lutzburg

05-11-2014

Personal Design Philosophies and Approach

I believe I am a relatively well-rounded designer, though I have a stronger interest and emphasis on mechanics and flow of gameplay. I'm interested in lore, back story, dialogue, etc., but in the interest of time and effort required, few of my champions go deeply down that route. Instead, I have focused most of my effort on creating cohesive and fun kits that flow, have good counterplay opportunities and synergize both with itself and the rest of a team.

I also hold the belief that it's nearly impossible to predict how things such as damage, scaling, range, etc. (the hard numbers) will play out in the real game when the champion can't actually be tested. As such, my concepts are on the light side of the hard numbers and instead provide good frames of reference or baselines to get a rough estimate on the ability in question. For example, I'll often use adages like "similar in size to Anivia's Ultimate" in order to create a visual approximation for my readers.

I think it's very important to discuss design goals, philosophies and intended gameplay patterns whenever possible. This is why each of my champions are prefaced with a "General Design Philosophy" as well as brief design goals following each ability. These are important because they provide the context of WHY after the WHAT has been explained.

In addition, I always include a "Risk Analysis" section so that I can approach each concept from a business perspective. Would this champion be well received by the community? Does it push the envelope artistically, mechanically or thematically? If so, does it push too much? Are there technical limitations or overtly difficult implementation procedures that increase the difficulty of adding this character to the roster? I try to take all of these questions into account whenever I design a concept, because no matter how cool it is, it still has to be developed.

Finally, when it comes to naming champions, I always try to use interesting words that somehow relate to the core theme, personality or kit of that champion. Riot does an excellent job of this and it's actually one of the common weaknesses I see in many fan-submitted concepts. For example, "Brand" is a great name for a scorching fire mage and "Kog'maw" is pure perfection for an alien puppy dog who literally has bio-organic cogs in its mouth. If a champion's name has letters in the double digits, or more than one apostrophe, or can theoretically be pronounced in more than three ways, it's probably not a good name.

Lutzburg

05-11-2014

Attention Designers and Creators!

If you'd like to challenge yourself or if you want a little help with some creative inspiration for your own Champion concepts, check out my Random Champion Generator thread!

Lutzburg

05-12-2014

Reserved for future use.

Lutzburg

05-14-2014

Thalius, the Arcane Blacksmith, has been added to the roster!

FlynttFlossy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-14-2014

WOW! well done. I hope someone important sees this. Many posts in these forums go unnoticed, hopefully not this one

j3staG

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-14-2014

No doubt Flyntt, he practically did someones job for the next 7 years for free. haha. good stuff Lutzburg

Dr Patton

05-14-2014

Wow, i am super excited to see some of these be released in the thread. Great ideas so far from what i have read. I will for sure be checking this regularly to see newly released concepts.

tamashinoerufu

05-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlynttFlossy View Post
WOW! well done. I hope someone important sees this. Many posts in these forums go unnoticed, hopefully not this one
i agree, i like the ideas behind these champs, and would like to see that it does get some well deserved love

Lutzburg

05-15-2014

Thank you all so much for your kind words. I have put hundreds of hours worth of effort into this collective body of work, and it really would mean a lot if it were acknowledged and appreciated the way I know it can be.

1234511 ... 15