Creative Design AMA - Shyvana, the Half-Dragon

First Riot Post
12345678 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Melancholy Exile

08-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosBloodterfly View Post
How is a Dragon/human hybrid possible? The physical logistics are ~.~
Assuming her original lore hasn't been utterly retconned, it's because certain, extremely powerful, dragons can adopt human form.

RiotRunaan

Associate Creative Designer

08-01-2012
3 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
1.Would she want to have a true friend she can trust ,or even love ?
2.Is she interested in science as a tool or she doesnt care much about how to exploit world to cover your weakness ?
3.What does she think about others ?,kinda mixed champions like Twitch that while arent humans ,actually show humans needs and emotions like wearing clothes or even begin with his kind that he wants to create.
1. Someone who respects her, isn't afraid of her, and treats her like more than a beast in need of a leash or muzzle.
2. She doesn't have any interest in science, no. Dragons don't care about science.
3. I'm not sure she would have any particular thoughts on Twitch beyond "snack," but human-like champions I think she'd have mixed feelings on. She knows what it's like to be caught between identities. She highly values her dragon half, it's where her strength lies, but humans have been the only ones to at least accept her (for now). I think she'd be curious to see where someone like, say, Nidalee finds the balance between her two forms.

Quote:
Any chance this will lead to a Dragon champion appearing claiming to be the Drake's brother, wanting revenge on Shyvana?

So much revenge in the Lore.

Renekton (to Nasus), Graves (TF), Shyvana (achieved), Rumble (against his fellow yordle "sell-outs"),Varus (all Noxians), Master Yi (to Singed), and I'm sure there's a few others I've missed.
I don't think so, no.

Also, I can't go into a lot of detail, but we're working on expanding some of these characters' motivations beyond simple revenge. There's a lot more to these relationships and rivalries than "I want to kill you," and we'd like to explore them in that light.

Quote:
Any insight into the character of Shyvana's mother? Was she a sorceress? Witch? Fey-spirit?
She was human, and Shyvana's father loved her anyway. That's all Shyvana knows about her.

Quote:
I really like it, but I can no longer think of J4 except as an overblown, pompous ass like Renekton Bot portrayed him. I am forever tainted.

But I like this new lore more for what it did in bringing J4 more in line with how he would actually act than anything it did for Shyv. Good job!
Overblown and pompous? In terms of his relationship with Shyvana, I don't see Jarvan IV like this--he saw her strengths and understood her conflict, and he believed he could help her, as their goals entwined. Jarvan is the type of guy to see the greater good in people--while his men saw her as a dangerous beast (just like the dragon they hunted), Jarvan saw her humanity.

Quote:
Shyvana's Ironscale skin, though I'm guesssing not canon to the lore similar to most skins, could it be a representation of her mother? A dragon's abilities vary but I believe taking a form of something a dragon has in mind is common.
Her Ironscale skin isn't currently connected to anything canon, but that's a really interesting theory!

Quote:
Just how powerful is a true dragon? If I recall correctly, the ones on the Fields of Justice are essentially copies of the real thing. Would Shyvanna and Jarvan IV be able to defeat the drake if it did manage to recover?
Very powerful, some stronger than others. The fact that the dragon had been weakened by Shyvana's father did play a part in Shyvana and Jarvan's victory, but I think it had more to do with their combined strengths more than the injuries their enemy had already sustained.

Quote:
If Shyvana has slain a half-dead dragon with the help of many Jarvan's men, why does she say that “She has proven her might to dragonkind"? It's not that hard to deliver a killing blow to already incapacitated dragon, is it?
Shyvana may be overselling herself here. Really, though, the sentiment intended is that she was able to find allies and a home that accepted her despite the fact that dragonkind deemed her an abomination. It's a little self-defensive, too, because she still faces similar fear and persecution from humans--but of course, they can't be as threatening as dragons ever were, can they?

Admidus

08-01-2012

What she think about Garen, Lux and Xin zhao? after all, they are part of the great army of Demacia no?
And what does she think of the external warriors like Master Yi, Volibear and Jax?

Phrosn

08-01-2012

Do all dragons of Runeterra breathe fire?

Does Shyvanna hate her human side since it's been the reason behind the biggest hardships and tragedies in her life?

RiotRunaan

Associate Creative Designer

08-01-2012
4 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Hi RiotRunaan. It's nice to see you opening an AMA. Have fun with it! Now for questions...

-How different are dragons from humans tempermently, emotionally, and society wise in the LoL universe? Depending on how different they are from one another does Shyvanna have two conflicting sets of ideals/emotional responses to things/reactions/behaviors or are the dragon and human natures combined into one unique personality?
-Does Shyvanna think she is better than humans?
-Is the want to avenge a family member normal for dragons or does she do this because of her human side? I ask this because I have next to no idea what LoL universe dragons are like.
-In her new lore it says Shyvanna is feared by men and she worries that they are right to fear her. Is she prone to anger outbursts? Maybe because of her rough past she is more easiler alarmed and reacts more harshly?
-Does Shyvanna want to fit in with the humans or is she content to have just a place to call home (the whole home isn't where you are but who you're with)? Does she want a "home" of people, too?

I hope this is okay that I asked so much, it's just that Shyvanna's one of my favorite champions. I hope you can find the time to answe my questions!
Hi! :D

-Not to go into too much detail about dragons, as I mentioned before, but most of Shyvana's conflict does come from the combination of her two natures. She's an angry, vicious creature, as her dragon's blood would demand, but she's inclined to want more human things--like a home, friends, family, allies to rely on and protect.
-She considers herself more powerful than humans, yes, and there's a slight degree of arrogance that comes with this. Shyvana never understood that humans could be strong, worthy creatures until she met Jarvan IV. She's still coming to terms with what human strength means in contrast to the ferocity of dragons she'd relied on throughout her childhood.
-Yes, I think she's probably prone to bursts of anger, and that's why many soldiers in Demacia fear her presence on the battlefield. Shyvana will react with anger far easier than she'll react with sadness or restraint--when her father died, for example, her first instinct was rage above mourning.
-She's conflicted. Shyvana wants to fit in with the humans of Demacia, because she's never known true acceptance. She also doesn't want to lose what she believes to be her truest strength (her dragon half and all that comes with it), for her dragon's blood is what her father taught her to value.

Great questions! I'm glad you like Shyvana!

Quote:
For a slightly different question:

Shyvana is a lean, 4-limbed, long-tailed creature with a front heavy physique that is reminiscent of a vulture while The Dragon is a tubby, 6-limbed lizard with a back heavy T-Rex style physique.

Why does Shyvana's Dragon Form have minimal resemblance to The Dragon? Is it a case of The Dragon being a generic holdover from the beginning of the game and Shy is more representative of dragons in LoL or is her half-blood status sort-of a mutant thing?
Shyvana is just one type of dragon! Well, half of one. : )

Quote:
What's her opinion of Nidalee, what with them both being able to change forms through the interplay of their human form and their upbringing?

What does she think of Warwick's curse, with his being stuck in a bestial form?

Does she have any opinion on Ahri and Zyra, what with their being moved into a human form?

And, on a less serious note, does she have any particularly animosity towards Lulu for being able to turn her from a mighty dragon into a lowly squirrel on the Fields of Justice?
If she knew much about Warwick's curse, she'd probably have mixed feelings about it. For one, he's a powerful beast, and that is something of great value, but he's clearly lost a part of himself in the process. As for Nidalee, they'd find common ground in that they're both fierce, protective people. They both fight to protect a home they care about. Nidalee is more of a free spirit, though, and Shyvana might envy that freedom.

Shyvana wouldn't understand Ahri's desire to become fully human. Shyvana would... set Zyra on fire.

Finally: my goodness, YES, Shyvana detests being turned into a squirrel. : )

Quote:
How is a Dragon/human hybrid possible? The physical logistics are ~.~
Dragons can take human form. Shyvana can take either form, but she can't maintain the dragon form without an incredible amount of willpower (usually fueled by rage).

Melancholy Exile

08-01-2012

All dragons can take human form?

savov

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy Exile View Post
All dragons can take human form?
in the world of lol yes in real life, not sure xD

Zanes Zalesh

08-01-2012

So, Runaan, on our lil' half-wyvern girl, as far as i know dragons are natural sorcerers due magical nature, so i ask, what is Shyvana's reaction, i mean, her overall look onto true, controlled spellcasting, like Ryze's or many other mage champions? In the same note, what does she thinks of the very spellcasters that sing the spells she has to fight against daily?

Zwingley

08-01-2012

Series of questions that get increasingly vague. Tell us what you can, please!

Would there be any full-blooded humans beyond Jarvan that Shyvana respects or possibly interacts with somewhat "normally," or at least without feeling like they're afraid of her (provided they aren't), or feeling like they're inferior to her? Garen would be my best guess as to anyone who would fit in this category, due to his own loyalty to Demacia and Jarvan (with Xin Zhao and Lux being other possible examples, I suppose.) If so, how would she interact with them? How would she feel about the fact that there may be humans beyond Jarvan who can look past what she is to who she is, even though they may not understand her completely?

Dreampod

08-01-2012

Don't think I didn't notice you skip my first question.

I suppose this is a 'Ask Me Anything' not a 'Answer Any Question' so I shouldn't expect you to answer a question regarding the Lore bellyflop that Shyvana was initially.

12345678 ... 10