Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Finales Funkeln change disturbing insight into Riot's community attitude

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Petkorazzi

08-01-2012

**UDPATE, 8.3.12**
A red has finally said something about this on the NA forum:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=27793129#post27793129

It's basically a regurgitation of prior arguments made on the EU forum. Take from it what you will.

Personally, I've all but given up. They're making it pretty clear to me that they do not care, they will not respond to the larger threads/polls nor their arguments, nor will they even spend the time to read them...they've made their excuses (however flimsy) and are sticking to them.

**UPDATE** Please note the following before continuing on:

Quote:
FYI, since it's getting a bit out of hand at times:

If you disagree, feel free to downvote and move on. That's what the system is there for.
If you have a rebuttal to one of my points, please let me know about it so it can be discussed.
If you make a statement that shows you haven't read the OP in its entirety, I will repay that courtesy by giving you none of my time.
If you make personal attacks towards me, I'll ignore you.

Thank you (and sorry for that unfortunate necessity, polite majority) and on with the post.

So, after waking up this morning I see that Riot has decided to go through with the "Infinite Light" name change for Finales Funkeln. Needless to say I'm disappointed...those following know that I've worked pretty hard both here and on the EU forums to try to convince Riot not to do so.

The way this was done shows some pretty disturbing insight into how Riot has decided to handle the community. I think that's something even non-Finales Funkeln supporters can agree on. Sure, this time around it's a relatively insignificant change (just a little bit of flavor text)...but what precedent does this set in the future, when it's something serious?

1. Riot doesn't care what you think.
Riot claims that they "want community feedback" and that they "listen", but actions speak louder than words. The EU Save Finales Funkeln thread (http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=787045) is one of the top 10 biggest threads ever created on the EU west forum. The NA poll (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2407771) and the Petition (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2408149) have thousands of votes in favor of the old name. Not to mention the countless other threads in support of Finales Funkeln.

2. Riot isn't interested in communicating with you.
The only responses to this entire controversy have been on the EU west forum, and they were "unofficial" (in other words, a red was simply trying to relay what information he was aware of from other behind-the-scenes people). The only real "official" response was made on the German forum. Nothing has ever been said here. Apparently the 5,000+ votes in favor of the old name here are not worthy of a response to the issue. Do they simply feel that if they remain quiet, we'll just "go away"?

3. Riot are hypocrites.
Let's even forget that the German client contains an English-language ability name (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2422581) for a second. Here's a list of 57 other "inside joke" references in the game (http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=787045&page=85) that you're not changing. Logic flawed much?

4. Riot knows they made a mistake, and cowardly tried to hide it.
Many of us last night held hope that Riot had listened to us, because the name change was no longer in the patch notes. Instead, Lux was just mentioned in a number of "tooltip changes" being made, along with several other champions. They tried to sneak this change in under our notice. They know we didn't want this change, and the only logical reason I can discern for this is that they wanted to try to hide it.

You know where us online gamers have seen this kind of attitude before? Blizzard. Have you forgotten where you came from? Why are you acting like InsensitiveGamerMegaCorp instead of remembering the roots this game had as basically a fan-created mod? You act as if you're just shrugging off the very fan community that led to you having a company to begin with under the logic that "well, it's not going to cost us any money in the long run."

Riot, don't be this guy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0nO-iujogY) It's not too late to finally come out and talk to us, own up to your mistake, and change it back. Regain the confidence you're losing in this community.

I am disappoint, and literally thousands of other fans are as well. Time to fix it.

**UPDATE**

OK, just got back from work (that's right, I'm not the preteen you seem to try to make me out to be) and I see the forum trolls have been hard at work in here. So, I'm going to address a few points and make a few new ones of my own (and I'll add this to the main post as well).

1. Riot is running a business, not a democracy.
Yes, that's absolutely true. No argument here. However, I don't think this is a valid argument in favor of making this change. What do they have to gain by making this change, financially? Nothing. I think you'd be hard-pressed to make a logical argument that changing Lux's ult name would in any way directly lead to increased RP purchases. However, you could most certainly say the opposite (many people have stated their intention to no longer purchase RP as a result of this, both here and on the EU forum).

2. It's just a simple name/it doesn't affect gameplay, stfu already.
People didn't "stfu" about the Jayce lore and that was changed due to community pressure. Why should this be any different? Also, the name has become part of the community itself. It's spawned catch-phrases and mash-ups in popular YouTube LoL and Touhou videos. Thousands of people have come out of the woodwork to support it. It's not just a simple name anymore...it's a part of the fan-created LoL metaverse through personalities such as SivHD.

3. Nobody cares/Forum polls don't represent majority/blahblahblah
Yes, the forum polls are only representative of a small fraction of the people who play the game. However, I'd like to point out that it's an equal-opportunity slice (in other words, people from all sides are permitted to participate in forum discussions). Another way to say this is "of the people who care, the majority side with the old name". Why should people who don't care about the ability name be in any way relevant to the discussion?

**UPDATE** Here's a great post on this by Bumz over on the EU forum:

Quote:
I just wanted to point out that this is one of the most common counter arguments I see in angry community threads and it's a major fallacy.
Any opinion is the opinion of a minority as the majority of people is always unaware of an issue, or simply doesn't care about it at all.

The relevant pool of people consist of the ones that are aware of an issue and care about the outcome. Of the people that have proven to be aware of this issue, the vast majority opposes Riot's decision in this matter. If you exclude the players that have proven to be aware of the matter, but don't care about it, an even higher percentage of players opposes Riot's decision.

4. Just because they haven't answered yet doesn't mean they won't.
True. If they do I'll see it as a positive sign. Contrary to belief, I'm not some anti-Riot hater. I want them to do the right thing, and I hold out hope that they will. Just so far the signs have not been good.

5. Just because they leave in other references doesn't make them hypocrites.
Well, the thing is it kinda does. They're saying they're making the change in the name of consistency, yet using that reasoning to make inconsistent changes. For example, Katarina's "Shunpo" is a reference to an anime called Bleach. I have no idea what "Shunpo" means, and I bet most of you don't either. I don't even know how to pronounce it (SHUN-po? SHOON-po?). It stays? Now someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but how is that not hypocritical?

6. Nobody called it "Finales Funkeln" anyway.
Nobody hardly ever refers to abilities by name...not even Riot employees doing the announcing for tournament play. It's always "Nunu ult" or "stun" or some other descriptive term. This isn't viable logic for the name change.

In fact, I'm willing to argue that the only purpose of ability names in the first place is as flavor text. I mean, the only way to tell what the name of an ability is also shows you what it does, thus negating the need for the ability name to be descriptive at all. If flavor text in LoL is now "irrelevant", then why not just remove all ability names?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------CONCLUSION--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, look. I'm not about to sit here and pretend that this is some "game-breaking issue", or that it's going to cause me to quit playing LoL. That's absurd. However, let's think for a moment about what these little details actually mean.

When you really think about it, why do you buy skins/champs? Because you like them. There's some little subjective thing about the way they look, the way they play, or their story that you really enjoy. Many of these things are in-jokes or references to other franchises (for example, I think Rammus's Bowser-esque skin is a pretty badass homage to Super Mario Bros.). They're part of what make them unique, and what makes LoL unique amongst their MOBA competition. There's very little "Generic Hero #37" and the like here. Their jokes, skins, dances, abilities, etc. reference bits of pop culture that we like and that causes us to like them by proxy.

I am a Touhou fan and have been for years...ever since a friend of mine burst into my dorm room at uni, said "you have GOT to try this game, it's the most insane shooter ever", and handed me a copy of the then-fresh Perfect Cherry Blossom on a CD-R (dating myself a bit there). Later on I discovered the Touhou fighters (Scarlet Weather Rhapsody is still my favourite) and fell in love with one of the characters: Marisa Kirisame (she'd been in the shooter games but it wasn't until then that I really "got into her&quot.

Many years pass, and I start getting into LoL. Lo and behold...there's a champion in the game that's a reference to my beloved Marisa? ZOMG MUST HAVE, and as the forums have seen in the last several days I am not alone in this. Not because she's the most powerful in her role(s), or because she's cheap, but because she relates to me through her references...just like how many people have bought Taric's Armor of the Fifth Age skin because of the reference to that godawful Paladin tier set from World of Warcraft.

Now for flimsy reasons Riot has decided they want to take that away from me (and by "me" I mean "us"...turns out there are literally thousands of us in the LoL community, from all over the world), despite the fact that there have been no loud complaints about it being there in the last two years it has existed, ever. And you're surprised that that upsets a certain segment of the community?

I will continue playing LoL, and I will continue playing Maris...err, Lux. But I will never accept this change, and to not see it as an ominous sign of the current business-think of Riot Games is to be blind.

Cryolyptic

08-01-2012

It's just a word bro...

Out of all the things in this world to complain about.
-
Starving children in Africa.
The World Economy
Animal Rights
Gay Rights
Home foreclosure
2012 Presidential Election
2012 Olympics
-
You decide to complain about a word, in an online game.
Good job buddy.
This community never ceases to amaze me.

DreamLeviathan

08-01-2012

Quote:
Petkorazzi:

4. Riot knows they made a mistake, and cowardly tried to hide it.
Many of us last night held hope that Riot had listened to us, because the name change was no longer in the patch notes. Instead, Lux was just mentioned in a number of "tooltip changes" being made, along with several other champions. They tried to sneak this change in under our notice. They went out of their way to change the PBE patch notes to do this. They know we didn't want this change, and the only logical reason I can discern for this is that they wanted to try to hide it.

Small correction here: They never put the change in any patch notes. They don't actually release PBE patch notes, unofficial compilations of the changes get made and put up on blogs.

That said, really don't understand why they went ahead with it in spite of the protest.

Doov

08-01-2012

And yet Riot's one of the most transparent, pro-community companies.
Please don't compare Riot to Blizzard.

Downvotes, really? Hop on over to the Diablo 3 forums, and good luck finding at least one blue post a month.

Chillingly based

08-01-2012

Lmao

Trazz

08-01-2012

Wow, who cares?

IS1c5c21a2063c122d01032

08-01-2012

Quote:
Cryolyptic:
It's just a word bro...

A sample of what is to come..

edit: gtfo you Riot prod

Drunk Reiora

08-01-2012

Quote:
Doov:
And yet Riot's one of the most transparent, pro-community companies.
Please don't compare Riot to Blizzard.

And with one error, they can dash everyone's trust instantly.

Just like in the real world.

ZyraTheJinx

08-01-2012

Quote:
Unimportant Me:
A sample of what is to come..

And what would that be that's coming?

Petkorazzi

08-01-2012

Quote:
DreamLeviathan:
Small correction here: They never put the change in any patch notes. They don't actually release PBE patch notes, unofficial compilations of the changes get made and put up on blogs.

That said, really don't understand why they went ahead with it in spite of the protest.

I stand corrected; I was misinformed. I've corrected my original post. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.