[Champion Concept] Octavian, Requiem of the Howling Marsh

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wulffe

08-01-2012

Quote:
Concept

Truth be told, I’m not sure what exactly sparked Octavian’s creation. There were two things I was certain of though. First I wanted him to have a tie to Karthus and second I wanted him to be the opposite of Sona. Though still a musician and magical entity like his former teacher, his music has become dark and twisted to match his new life…or lack there of.

Fun Facts

I don’t really have any fun facts about Octavian. He’s a living dead guy that plays music. What more could you want?
Revealed Version

Quote:
Octavian, Requiem of the Howling Marsh

Stats

Attack: [X][X][X][X]
Health: [X][X][X][X][X][X]
Difficulty: [X][X][X][X][X][X][X]
Spells: [X][X][X][X][X][X][X][X][X]

[X] = 1 point. Max is 10 points.

Roles

Mage, Ranged, Support

Item Recommendations

Attachment 619341Attachment 619342Attachment 619346Attachment 619343Attachment 619344Attachment 619345

Abilities

Strife Note(Passive) -

For every life of a minion or champion he takes Octavian adds a note to his performance, increasing the power in his music and the rate in which he plays. The ability power and attack speed he receives has a cap.

Bolero of the Moaning Ghoul -

(Innate) Bolero: After Bolero of the Moaning Ghoul is activated enemies around Octavian constantly have their health drained and given to him or his surrounding allies.

Octavian plays a series of notes which lash out at the two closest enemy champions with the highest percentage of health. The damage down is converted to health for Octavian and his allies.

Requiem of the Dark Woods -

(Innate) Requiem: After Requiem of the Dark Woods is used Octavian lowers the effectiveness of buffs of enemies closest to him and amplifies ally buffs.

Octavian boosts the attack rate of himself and allies for a few seconds. Additionally he gives a shield to those with the lowest percentage of health.

Serenade of the Wailing Bride -

(Innate) Serenade: After using Serenade of the Wailing Bride enemies around Octavian are slowed. The stolen speed is evenly dispersed to him and surrounding allies.

Enemies struck by these musical cords are slowed down and have their magical resistance decreased. It also removes one crowd control effect from Octavian or his allies.

Nocturne of the Howling Marsh -

Octavian plays a slow Nocturne and then targets an enemy champion with the spell. The pain received is so intense that the enemy’s allies feel it and panic for a few seconds regardless of distance.

Lore

Words like ’prodigy’ and ’perfection’ seemed to follow in the air where ever Lloyd von Othellian went. It is true that he has been a master over music ever since he was young and his success with such a talent has long since let it go to his head. Sona’s teachings at the college in Demacia did nothing to help his ever growing ego. All he knew was that when he played his music was beautiful and captivating and it also brought him fountains of gold and swooning women no matter where he played. And so thinking it would be a unique and interesting experience, the pompous young musician did not hesitate in accepting an offer to play for the Lord of the Howling Marsh.

When he had arrived at the requested location Lloyd found himself playing for an audience of one. Annoyed by the subtle trickery his host assured him that his word was true and that if Lloyd played for him then the gold would come pouring in and people would kill to hear him play. So Lloyd took the host’s word in stride and began performing a private piece. A strange feeling crept into him as the young pianist played. He could feel his mood altering with each keystroke and felt it as they turned from harmonious and beautiful to dark and chaotic. It wasn’t so strange though, it felt almost natural as if he was meant to play this profound music filled with sorrow and rage. When Lloyd finished playing he looked around the area. The walls had melted away, the piano dissolved under his touch. Then it was just him and Karthus standing there in the Marsh. His new master and teacher beckoned his student to follow him, letting him know that the newly born Octavian had much to learn on their trip.

“Like a puppet, so beautifully he plays and dances. I have but to pluck his strings.” - Karthus, the Deathsinger

Champion Tips

Playing as Octavian

Octavian is most effect standing right next to opponents. A defensive build isn’t too bad of an idea for that.
Remember that his abilities have two effects both offensive and defensive. His offensive spells target those with the highest health and his defensive ones target allies with the lowest.
An appropriately timed Requiem of the Howling Marsh can be a lifesaver from across any map!

Playing Against Octavian

Octavian is best poked from a range as his innate abilities affect those in close proximity of him.
Carefully if too many of your allies to gank him or allies near him as he can use your group’s health and movement speed against you.
Those his ability isn’t particularly deadly, Requiem of the Howling Marsh can be used to effectively counter channeled abilities.
Complete Version

Quote:
Story

The carriage clambered nosily over the twisted roots and debris that had grown over the outdated and underused road that served as the only road through the Howling Marsh. Inside there sat a young man, barely into adulthood. He gently swayed back in forth with the carriage as it carried him ever deeper into an unknown land. In his palm sat a very elegant and richly worded letter that the driver, an eerie man who had spoken little on the journey from Demacia. He must have read it a hundreds times by now.

“Dear monsieur Othellian,

News of your fame and talent has reached every corner of Runeterra and the realm of the Howling Marsh is no different. I, the Lord of the Marsh, cordially invite you to play at a banquet that I am having to entertain the local Barons and Ladies. Of course, I would not have you simply volunteer your illustrious gift and am willing to pay you quite handsomely for your time. I have sent to you my personal carriage and driver with a down payment. Do hurry back with him. The news of your arrival has the locals
dying to meet you.

Lord Karthus,
Lord of the Howling Marsh“

The down payment that he had mentioned was by far the most anyone has yet to pay him and many other lords have paid a pretty coin for him in the past. But with this kind of reward had made it to where Octavian could not decline such an invitation. So now here he sat in a carriage, trailing him through an unknown land with a man that could only be described as creepy.

As he watched the sky prematurely turn to night outside he couldn’t help but think about the area and what little he knew about it. They speak of nothing but dread and sorrow emitting from this place but that cannot be the truth of it as how could such a man like this Lord Karthus be so prosperous in such a wretched place? The truth was that even if he did not know much more about it, Lloyd von Othellian was greatly looking forward playing in a new and unknown place filled with riches and the possible beauties that would make this land very much worth the effort. Lord Karthus had mentioned ladies in his letter.

It had been a long, grueling and almost sickening journey across the marsh before the carriage driver called for an abrupt halt. Othellian looked outside to see what was going on and laid eyes upon the largest and most intimidating buildings he had ever seen. Before he good get a good fix on the whole thing the door swung open, revealing the wild-eyed, contorted face of the driver. ‘Out!’ he had yelled, grabbing Othellian’s things and hurriedly carried them inside. With little choice in the matter, Othellian followed him inside.

Inside of the large mansion that could have easily been mistaken for a Cathedral of Darkness was just as intimidating inside as it had been outside. Though the inside seemed to be completely empty. Seeing the hollowed inside brought a sense of caution to the back of Othellian’s mind. He carefully made his way further inside and was somewhat to find a somewhat familiar looking place. He had managed to find his way into what the man could only guess was the ballroom as a large grand piano was tucked away at the far side of the room.

Othellian made his way to it. It was an old make that looked like it could use a fine tuning but pressing down on a set of keys brought nothing but perfect, beautiful notes to his ears. He smiled as he sat down and began to play. He was too enticed by the music he was creating to notice that someone was approaching him from behind. It was only after he stopped was he made aware of the other man’s presence. A series of light thuds were heard just as the music began to quiet down. Turning to look at who it was, Othellian was met by a man he could only assume was the Lord of the Marsh. He quickly stood up and bowed.

“That was quite charming, Master Othellian,” came the cool, collected sound of Karthus’ voice. “People will be killing to hear you play here.”
“Not my finest piece, I assure you, Lord Karthus,” Othellian grinned. “Perhaps I will play something more worthy of such sacrifices!”
“Of course,” Karthus chuckled.
“My Lord,” Othellian spoke up. “I have a question, if you would not mind it.”
“What is it?” the other man raised an amused brow.
“Your letter mentioned there was a banquet going on, yet there seems to be no one here but you and I,” he said as he looked around.
“You are much earlier than anticipated, it will not begin for another several hours,” Karthus smiled. “In the meantime perhaps you could give me another sample as to what’s to come?”

Othellian frowned as he looked around. He did not like playing for one person at a time, enjoying putting himself on display for as many people as possible to see him. But this man, the Lord of the Marsh, was paying him quite handsomely to be there. So with a light sigh Othellian returned to his seat. The first thing that came to his head was a slow nocturne, only fitting for such a place. Karthus could only smirk as the man pressed the first few keys.

The musician played as he had done many times before. But there was something different creeping up on him. It seemed that the longer he played the more his mood towards the piece changed. His harmonious and beautiful tunes turned into bouts of darkness and chaos. But to him the sound was simply marvelous and so he continued playing the dark, chaotic notes. When the last notes hung solely in the air Othellian looked down at the hand that pressed firmly down on the keys.
Lifting his other hand up and playing it on the piano he could tell that it wasn’t just the music that had changed but somehow, someway he now seemed to embody the profound music he had just produced. His hands had become skeletal, his clothes had become ragged and worn where once they were crisp and clean. He turned to look at Karthus, seeing his once long, brown hair was now a deathly gray. Karthus still stood in the same spot but he too had been changed.

“How do you feel, Othellian?” the now skeletal faced Karthus asked him.

Othellian looked down at himself. He flexed his hands out, though the flesh felt tight against the pressure they still flowed perfectly. His finery was now all but well worn and it seemed that the man had aged several decades. He finally looked up to Karthus with a skeletal face of his own. His thin, cracked lips curled up in a crude smile.

“I feel complete,” he said in a tone matching Karthus. “Like I just created my first master piece.”
“I can understand that feeling,” Karthus smiled. “Octavian, Requiem of the Howling Marsh.”
“Octavian? What happened to me?” Othellian finally asked.
“The marsh has blessed you, Octavian,” Karthus continued to smile. “And now we are of a similar entity.”

’Octavian’? Othellian liked the sound of that. It was true what he had said before. He looked down at himself and noted that despite how he physically looked Othellian had never felt so attuned to himself, so alive! He finally looked up to Karthus and then around the room. It was then that he noticed that the extravagant walls and ceiling had faded, as did the piano he had recently played. All that was left was Karthus and Octavian standing in the middle of the marsh.

“Master, what is your plan now?” Octavian said, standing courtly before Karthus.
“Now I take you to put on the greatest show in all of Runeterra,” Karthus grinned. “First, you have a lot to learn on the journey to the Institute of War.”
“Teach me, master,” Octavian bowed his head. “Teach me to master this new art.”
“In time, my puppet,” Karthus said as the two began walking. “In time.”
Quote:
League Judgment

[(There will be no League Judgment for Octavian.)

Quote:
Quotes

Upon Selection:
Let‘s make a killing.

Moving:
If I must.
For Karthus.
In tune.
Yes, summoner?
I concur.

Attacking:
There is no escape!
From beautiful melody to haunting scream.
The notes of death follow.
Like death I come!
Come, mortals.

Death:
The magical keyboard constricts around him before dispersing, leaving him in the fetal position on the ground.

Taunt:
Points at the target while playing the opening score to Beethoven’s 5th.
Poor child. Did I melt your face or are you naturally that ugly?

Jokes:
He cracks his knuckles then begins playing Chopsticks.
My music offends you? I‘m dead, why would I care?

Dance:
Silly Symphony - Skeleton Dance
02:40-03:00
He does this back and forth in front of his keyboard.

Quote:
Stats

Health: 390 (+70)
Health Regen: 4.5 (+0.55)
Mana: 270 (+50)
Mana Regen: 7.0 (+0.45)
Range: 525
Attack Damage: 47.32 (+3)
Attack Speed: 0.644 (+2.2%)
Armor: 9 (+3.4)
Mag. Resist: 30
Movement: 310

Tags:
Mage, Ranged, Support

Item Recommendations:

Ionian Boots
Mejai’s Soulstealer
Rod of Ages
Archangel’s Staff
Rabadon’s Deathcap
Lich Bane

Quote:
Abilities

Attachment 619351
Passive:
Name: Strife Note
Effect: Kills give him 15 ability power and 1% attack speed, assists give 5 ability power and .5% attack speed. Caps at 200 ability power and 20% attack speed.

Attachment 619350
Q:
Name:
Bolero of the Moaning Ghoul
Effect: Targets the two closest enemies with the highest health doing 75/100/125/150/175 (+0.6 AP) magical damage. 30% of the damage done is converted into health for Octavian and his surrounding allies.
Bolero Active: Enemies around him are constantly being drained for 2/4/6/8/10% (+0.6 AP) of their health per 2 seconds, healing Octavian and his allies for half of the stole health.
Animation: Foggy orange orbs come from the targets and are absorbed by Octavian.
Cooldown: 7
Cost: 50/70/90/110/130
Range: 600 radius.

Attachment 619348
W:
Name:
Requiem of the Dark Woods
Effect: Octavian plays a series of cords, increasing his allies attack rate by 5/10/15/20/25%. Allies with the lowest health also receive a shield that absorbs 50/75/100/125/150 (+0.5 AP) damage.
Requiem Active: Lowers the effectiveness of enemy team buffs (monsters, self buffs, etc) and increases the effect for allies by 6/8/10/12/14%.
Animation: A few shadowy ghosts float ominously around Octavian.
Cooldown: 8
Cost: 60/65/70/75/80

Attachment 619353
E:
Name:
Serenade of the Wailing Bride
Effect: Enemies are slowed by 40% for 3 seconds and have their magic resistance decreased by 10/15/20%. Removes one crowd control effect on Octavian and allies.
Serenade active: Enemies around Octavian are slowed by 10%. The stolen speed is given to allies. Additionally crowd control effects are removed one per champion every 2 seconds.
Animation: When activated white ghosts race away from Octavian.
Cooldown: 7
Cost: 50/60/70/80/90

Attachment 619349
R:
Name:
Nocturne of the Howling Marsh
Effect: When Octavian targets an enemy champion they are hit with 150/225/300 (+AP) magic damage. The pain is transmitted to the target’s allies, regardless of distance, and fears them for 2/2.5/3 seconds.
Animation: Octavian sends out a ghost at the target. The same ghost briefly appears above all enemies.
Cooldown: 160/130/100
Cost: 150/175/200
Range: 600

Quote:
Overview of Abilities:

I set out to make Octavian a similar yet more sinister version of Sona. Yes, they both heal and buff their allies, yes they both rock but the difference is that Octavian lacks the feeling. Perhaps it’s because he’s dead? Anywho. The stat buffer isn’t meant to be an overwhelming feature, just something to….well, buffer him a bit.

Bolero of the Moaning Ghoul, [W], is his only real damaging ability and is probably the best of the three I team fights as he both damages and heals simultaneously. The passive, again, is not meant to be overly powerful. It’s mostly meant to act as a ward to make enemies stay away from him. Though in team fights Octavian wants to be somewhat close to the main skirmish area but not close enough to make him a viable target. This way his allies can receive benefits of the ability and his passive.

Requiem of the Dark Woods, [W], is his team buff ability. It’s also supposed to be the team anti-buff ability! I gave the proc a low rate so that they have a chance to steal the enemy’s buffs but won’t steal them every time, all the time.

Serenade of the Wailing Banshee, [E], is his main crowd control ability. And of course, his anti-crowd control ability. The main feature of this ability is to allow his teammates to get in close, gaining speed the closer they get to their enemies who are also slowing down. The initial cast is supposed to be the initiator for this, so that enemies are slowed, then continue to have a fraction of it steal bogging them down while transferring the lost speed to Octavian and/or his allies.

Can’t have a guy from the Howling Marsh without some form of global ability. Though particularly devastating to the primary target who receives full damage AND the fear, it’s still brutal to the whole team as they all receive a fear. This ability is best used by having teammates call for it, like Karthus’. I times of need Octavia ca instigate chasing or negate it, depending on the needs of his team.

Overall, Octavian could easily slide in next to Karthus in the middle field. With his ability set he would make a valuable support, able to keep his teammates fueled and on the offense as he takes from the enemies and gives back to his allies. What he gives to his allies he also receives from them as kills and assists make him better at what he does: melting faces.

Quote:
Skins

Octavian, the Requiem of the Howling Marsh His default skin.
Maestro Octavian A very subtle reference to the Phantom.
De-Composer Octavian Beethoven lives again! If only in virtual form…and as an undead guy in LoL.
Piano Man Octavian A reference to the song Piano Man by Billy Joel.
Quote:

Rimbaldi

08-12-2012

His transformation in the story is a little too subtle. Also needs a good typo cleaning.

Strife Note
You need to pick one or the other for his passive. Otherwise, it’s a little disconnected and OP. I would select the second one personally.
Is he more of a carry or a support? If carry, I like the passive but if you see him playing support more, I’d swap the stats.

Bolero
Lifesteal seems a little aggressive to me. May want to tone it down a bit.

Requiem
This should have 5 ranks, not three.
Active isn’t worth the mana cost. I can’t recommend a buff as I can imagine how frustrating it would be to win a baron buff only to have it burned off inside the first 30 seconds. Maybe a persistent debuff to creature gained buffs would be better. At least that makes him more potent a threat to buffed champs which is not really something I have seen much of.

Serenade
Needs 5 ranks
Add the CC removal to the active and this is an awesome ability.

Nocturne
Two fears are too much. This further reinforces my opinion that the passive one should be cut.

Wulffe

08-27-2012

Wow, you weren't kidding. I should have proof read that before posting. I tried adding a bit to it to explain the transformation....but I'm still fighting the desire to right a short story as I usually do. :[

I took away the fear in his passive and lowered the lifesteal on his Q by 10%.

Fixed the scaling for Requiem. Not entirely sure why I stopped at three. Also I did as recommend but went a step further. I felt by just having the gained buffs decreased wouldn't be worth the activation. I wanted all of the actives to be used upon the circumstance they're needed. So I cut the buff steal and added that enemy buffs are decreased and ally buffs are increased.

Added CC removal for Serenade! Though let me know if the per second is too much. And cut the fear as mentioned earlier. So now he just has his ultimate.

thanks for the review, Rimbaldi. :]

Wulffe

02-19-2013

After some much needed love Octavian is back! I've fitted him with my newest format as well as gave him a full story, ability icons and tweaked his numbers a bit. He will not be receiving a League Judgment as he is essentially a recommendation to the League.