Dominion matchmaking fails SO HARD (screen shot)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-01-2012

OP, you did post a very nice screenshot with EXPLANATIONS which is key. Most post some SS and magically assume wed have any clue as to what is going on.

I agree with what you are saying and it would be nice if matchmaking took Experience into account along with ELO, to some degree. Just a sanity check to try to even out those with few wins onto both teams.

However, the more you complicate matchmaking, the longer it takes to get a match.

otirruborez

08-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by efexkiller View Post
ELO comes from wins, which my team has very few of. I love how stating " Matchmaking is based on ELO " ignores the fact that someone with 0 wins cannot have the same elo as someone who is 30-20 (or any similar example)
you still have an elo at 0 wins(1400 if you chose expert i believe) and it's entirely possible to have elo the same range(100~) as someone that is 30-20.

factor in group queue etc and there you have it.

you keep focusing on skill. elo is not skill, so if you're saying matchmaking is bad because of that, then yes i guess the matchmaking is bad, but there is really no way to improve upon it.

you can't sort by game experience because experience is not a measure of skill either. i would say matching by wins would be far worse than the current system.

Quote:
While this is technically possible, the way it actually works is matchmaking balances the ELOs of the members of the team and tries to match the averages on both teams. for example:

Ally1- 1700 elo
Ally2- 1600 elo
Ally 3 900 elo
Ally4 800 elo
Ally5 700 elo

Average 1140 Elo

Enemy1 1200 Elo
Enemy2 1200 Elo
Enemy3 1400 Elo
Enemy4 1000 Elo
Enemy5 1050 elo

Average 1170 ELo

This would be considered "Balanced teams " by matchmaking. In reality, the way this game snowballs so hard, the lower elo players just feed the better ones and cause a loss for their team. The same thing happens in all game types in all MOBAs - dominion is no different in that regard.

Stop trying to act like just because it was a win it was balanced.
matchmaking does NOT work this way(well it does average out the elo of the team, but these examples would never happen). at those ranges most of those players wouldn't even sniff each other. queue times would last days before it would put those players in the same game, if at all.

iSzathi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-01-2012

lvl 12 dom queques are insane atm, u shldnt really be worried about it when lvling, most lvl 10-12 dont kno how to play properly

Phourc

08-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
You won the game because, despite their wins, the other team was still bad at this map.

Not seeing a problem really.

Glad someone said it - you won, and really both teams had some terrible builds/players it looks like.

Dat rageblade jax ):

Shaik

08-01-2012

Quote:
I honestly believe there is a serious flaw in Dominion matchmaking. I see games like this all the time. Take a look:

http://i.imgur.com/9XtGU.jpg

As you can see, I was put on a team with four people who were extremely new at Dominion (and the game). Our team was put against a team with almost SIX times the wins (the doesn't even count total games with losses) played.

I see massive imbalances like this all the time. We still won because I put on my tryhard helmet, but that doesn't change the fact that this flawed matchmaking runs rampant in Dominion.

Does this happen to anyone else?
Seems to me like that Corki on your team did the best, with only two wins. I don't see a flaw.

blackDAILO

08-01-2012

Quote:
The problem is that matchmaking is supposed to pair you with players of equal skill. I'm not saying I'm pro. I'm saying whatever skill level I am at, I want to play with other players of that skill. Clearly only the corki was, and the other three we carried. That is the problem.
But the root of the problem is that you are smurfing.

Which means as an experienced player, you are trying to pose as an inexperienced player. You are basically messing up the matchmaking system by deliberately manipulating your skill level as level 14 player, and here you are complaining about system when you aren't supposedly stomping your games as a smurf.

Yes, there are some flaws within the matchmaking system, but players like you are the cause of the flaws and you shouldn't be the one complaining about it.

Infirc

08-01-2012

Lol :īD hahahahaha, hahahaha, i laughed so ahrd at trynda's " you were fed" commentary that my stomach hurts, seriously i laughed like half an hour straight, it hurts so much hahahaahaaha :īD, i couldn't even write becaus ei was alughing so hard. hahahahaahahaahahahaahahahaahaha

Blaez

08-01-2012

If they made it so that EACH MEMBER of the team had similar elo ALL THE TIME, then you'd have the pros winning 50 games in a row. The idea of putting one much higher elo on a team (whilst still having both teams of similar overall average elo) seems good to me because after you've won a few games in a row, you should lose. I'd personally rather win a game, lose a game, win a game, lose a game... than win 10 in a row, lose 10 in a row, win 10 in a row, lose 10 in a row. Whilst the winning streaks would be good... the rage that would build up from the losing streaks would be unbearable.

SpaceFrog

08-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by otirruborez View Post
matchmaking does NOT work this way(well it does average out the elo of the team, but these examples would never happen). at those ranges most of those players wouldn't even sniff each other. queue times would last days before it would put those players in the same game, if at all.
premades.

i hear you're smurfing... so good luck with that. As mentioned before, matchmaking goes crazy when you add smurfs to the equation.

but if you're level 30... I say carry yourself out of ELO hell, and then have some fun

That's what I had to do. I used a smurf to play with my RL friends who were bringing me down to 1100 ELO every weekend, and I'd claw up to 1300 during the week, to drop down every weekend.

NamKim

08-01-2012

Okay, now I officially experienced this.

My team: 36 wins, 77 wins, 54 wins, 46 wins, 52 wins
Other team: 38 wins, 351 wins, 1307 wins, 347 wins, 506 wins

The other team were definitely more experienced and better players.

To be honest, I would not have minded so much if the other team were not saying stuff like "noobs you suck!" "I so pro, I kill everyone with little problem." "omg, you f'n noobs. You need to 3v1 just to kill me."