Champion Bio Updates

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask Galio

08-10-2012

..really. So you stop doing the Journal of Justice, then after Varus there are no more League Judgments. Changing the original lore of the champion erases what was there before. We already know who General Du Couteau is. Why remove him NOW?

You are being hypocrites. You say that you want to focus on the champion's relationships with others, yet remove people from Lore because you want to focus on the champion. You can NOT do both at once. Talon's purpose for being a champion was BECAUSE of Du Couteau. He is a prominent figure in Talon's lore, therefore he shouldn't be removed.

Giving champions a new purpose to join the League... sure, give it a shot. However, there are a lot of champions I see that have their Lore butchered... giving them a really stupid reason to join the League. Just no.

As with removing personal ties, you have also made them closer. Why have Shyvana be so indebted to Jarvan? Before, it made her seem like she was quite... regular, for a League member. Now, it's basically "YAAH THE HERO IS HERE KILL THE EVIL DRAGON WOOHOO I SAVED THIS GIRL'S LIFE AND I'M A HERO AGAIN YAY". Please. Fairytale-like stories are only meant to be children's stories. Lulu may disagree.

It'd be great if you actually made the Lore seem logical. You do have some great Lore for some of the champions. For others it seems like you threw it together and find an excuse to have the champion join the League. It's rather blunt and simplistic, like my poor friend here, Katarina. She's now an egotistical brat who wants revenge. Hmm. I liked it when it seemed like she had more than a handful of emotions.

I miss the old days when people cared about how Lore affected the various relationships that connected the world of Valoran. Now, it's just plain flawed.

The Cryophoenix

08-10-2012

You're updating a lot of old Champion's lore, I can't help but wonder if Anivia also is being looked at, or is she perfect as she is? I love her current Lore of course but I wonder if Riot is updating all classic champions.

sleepyj101

08-10-2012

You're rewriting Champs into new personalities and quite frankly it upsets me. I don't think I'm the only one either. I can only pray you come to your senses before more butcher happens.

kaaldra

08-10-2012

[More focus on personality and motivation. We want you to understand who our champions are, and what they want].

I think I have a few ideas that might be on your list. Revenge, Take over the world, Recognition, To collect something or other, To find that person they are looking for.

[A better sense of where champions come from]. - Passion amirite?

[More relationships. Whether its friendship, love, or hate, relationships provide a jumping off point for additional stories involving our champions. -Plenty of those already exist.]

I didn't even need to read all of Draven's lore to know that he isn't exactly "best buds" with his brother. They probably hate each other more then anything else but when they set aside their differences yadda yadda cliches.

[Closer ties in the world. Many champions come off as totally focused on the League. We want you to have a good sense of what champions do when they are not fighting in the League.]

-Let me guess. TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!, Find that person they are looking for. More power!, To collect that thing or something.

[To help ground champions further, many champions who were previously summoned from afar will now have closer ties to Valoran].

- Oh no you see that wasn't a different planet they summoned Nasus and Ren from it was a different TIME in valoran. Im ok with that but don't screw it up.

[More champion free will. We're shying away from champions being imprisoned, bound, or unable to shape their own destiny. For example, we’d like bound champions like Cho'Gath and Brand to have more freedom. This is pretty scary, but it also is a great potential source of compelling stories.]

-Ok so instead of binding the summoners will ask real nice?

You aren't exactly clear on anything.

Trolosaurus

08-10-2012

I recommend you stop before you anger the community further.
Strike 1: Cancel JoJ (if that truly was you)
Strike 2: Jayce
Strike 3: Katarina

That's 3 strikes Kitae. You are out.

Corruption44

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolosaurus View Post
I recommend you stop before you anger the community further.
Strike 1: Cancel JoJ (if that truly was you)
Strike 2: Jayce
Strike 3: Katarina

That's 3 strikes Kitae. You are out.
you're forgetting the whole infinite light fiasco.

BladeAngelx

08-10-2012

To restate what was said in the thread to people who don't seem to understand or didn't read the entire thing... and I'll use the General Du Couteau Talon thing...

They aren't removing Du Couteua... now let me repeat that a few times to pound it into peoples skulls.
They aren't removing Du Couteau

Alright now that i've repeated that a few times maybe you can understand that's not what they are doing.

As Kitae explained they are switching the focus off Talon allegiance to Du Couteau, off of his search for the General and so on. Right now Talon's existing lore basically states this.

Grew up on the streets
Killed some people(including assassins from the high command)
AND RIGHT HERE IS THE POINT WHERE HE FIGHTS DU COUTEAU and loses
DU COUTEAU'S HENCHMEN
DU COUTEAU DISAPPEARS
TALON JOINS LEAGUE TO FIND DU COUTEAU

Notice how Talon's lore is extremely focused on Du Couteau... Now if you read Talon's judgement you get to learn a little bit more about his past as a child and stuff.

The New Lore for Talon will be more focused around Talon as an individual I.E
- Who is Talon?
- What makes him special?
- What is his personality?
- What kind of things has he done?

Instead of it being
Talon is an assassin
Du Couteau
Du Couteau
Du Couteau

To all the people on here raging about lore changes read the post more thoroughly and stop assuming things... If you haven't heard the old addage i'll say it now

Assuming makes an ASS out of U and ME.

What all of you ragers are doing is creating an atmosphere in which you've not even seen the full extent of the changes yet, and you're already thinking that it's going to be horrible.

Riot puts a lot of time and effort into their game, and they try and do what is best for the community, but obviously they can't please every single one of you. So before you start causing a bunch of trouble and complaining about this and that, just wait for the new lores to be released, and see what you think.

And just a reminder

Ask the Herald

08-11-2012

Oh for the LOVE of GLORIOUS EVOLUTION!

You guys are messing with the lores AGAIN?

Really? Do you REALLY wanna incur the wrath of Viktor fans like myself in the future? You already almost butchered his character with the horrible drivel of Jayce's ORIGINAL lore, and now you wanna try to alter other champs now?!

Keep pulling dumb moves like this, and pretty soon you guys won't have a lore-sustained game, but just another boring, flavor of the weak MOBA that a great deal of people won't want to invest in.

Rukhron

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-11-2012

Katarina lore is fine
Talon lore is fine (maybe some of the "Du Couteau" could be replaced by pronouns, but only that)

don't change then... they're amazing.

edit: almost forgot.
Cho'gath imprisonment is THE HUGEST PART of what Cho'gath is. Release Cho'gath from his imprisonment and i'll want to see valoran in ruins, Cho'gath the size of a mountain and half of the league cast inside his belly making him freaking huge. Cho'gath is supposed to feel like a doomsday bomb inside a refrigerator that is preventing it from going "boom!! game-over" all over the place.
If he turns into a big scary monster who's walking around i'm NEVER EVER enjoy playing Cho'gath as i do again.
And i'm serious... current Cho'gath feels amazing, he feels like he could eat your whole family tonight, wasn't he imprisoned. But he is intelligent and malicious enough to make you feel unsafe, as if he knows things you don't, as if maybe he knows how to escape, as if maybe he is just toying around, waiting for the day you'd make that little mistake and he could awake the Terror of the Void that he truly is.

Geokhan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitae View Post
Hey lore fans!

I'm kitae, recently-appointed lead designer of Riot's Creative team. Right now, I’m working with the rest of the creative designers to improve the overall quality of our lore, as well as planning long-term story development for League of Legends. I wanted to take a moment today to talk about some of the first results you’ll be seeing from that work.

As you know, Riot is committed to updating older champions. For example, Ashe recently got an art upgrade to her base model and splash. We also modernize the kits for champions, like we did recently with Twitch, Evelynn, and Xin Zhao. We also occasionally update bios, like Shyvana and Jayce who both received updates shortly after launch, but usually we let bios gather dust. That’s about to change.

We think that all of our champion bios should be as well written as newer bios:

• Players read bios to better understand champions. You deserve the same quality experience when reading an older bio as you get when you read a newer one.
  • Bios are the first place players go to learn more about a champion's past, and they form the foundation upon which other stories about that champion can be crafted. This is true for both player-written stories as well as Riot-written ones. You deserve great stories built on a strong foundation.
  • Bios feed our lore, granting insight into our world and other champions mentioned in the bio. You deserve a consistent, well planned fantasy world in which great stories can be told.

With these goals in mind we are starting to bring all champion bios up to today's standards. We’ve brought on some new creative designers (who we’ll introduce soon) to help make this happen, so it won’t impact new champion bios. What can you expect to see when we re-write a champion bio?

• More focus on personality and motivation. We want you to understand who our champions are, and what they want.
  • A better sense of where champions come from. Every champion has an origin that helps you better understand who they are.
  • More relationships. Whether its friendship, love, or hate, relationships provide a jumping off point for additional stories involving our champions.
  • Closer ties in the world. Many champions come off as totally focused on the League. We want you to have a good sense of what champions do when they are not fighting in the League.
  • To help ground champions further, many champions who were previously summoned from afar will now have closer ties to Valoran.
  • More champion free will. We're shying away from champions being imprisoned, bound, or unable to shape their own destiny. For example, we’d like bound champions like Cho'Gath and Brand to have more freedom. This is pretty scary, but it also is a great potential source of compelling stories.

To incorporate all this new stuff, we will be retelling our champion’s stories, and in doing so some details will change. This is a painstaking process that’s being guided by what the community already knows and loves about each champion. The net result will be better champion bios that, despite some changes, mesh with your expectations of who those characters are. You can think of it like how characters are re-imagined in comic books, TV and movies (for example Adam West Batman…to Dark Knight Batman)...ok most changes probably won't be that extreme.

From time to time, we’ll also need to omit some details that were previously included in bios. For example, in the revised version of Talon's bio, General Du Couteau is still present, but we don't identify him by name. We want players to focus on Talon, not wonder who General Du Couteau is. When a detail like this is omitted this is not a change to the lore, it's a change to what we're focusing on in the bio. General Du Couteau and Talon’s relationship can be better explored in a different story.

We think of champion bios as living documents. We can and will revise bios for quality, whenever necessary, to make them better. This is similar to maintenance of a champion’s kit. We will always discuss significant revisions with you. As we showed with the Jayce bio, we believe we can build better bios by listening to your feedback. This doesn’t mean we can please everyone, but we will carefully consider and discuss your feedback.

We know you want to see new types of storytelling beyond just bios...so do we! Before we can do new stuff to the level we’re shooting for, we first need to build a strong foundation for storytelling. That’s what we’re doing right now.

I’m excited to announce that the first bio rewrites are coming out with the next patch. Shyvana and Fiora’s revised bios will be going live then. We will be doing an AMA for both of these bios, and we look forward to your feedback.
This may have already been asked, but do you have a plan on how to show a long term story? JoJ seemed to be the answer until you guys axed it....Still not happy about that.