Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Advanced laning technique(s)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bigricky

07-31-2012

So I quit LoL for 6 months after hitting top 400 in solo queue at the start of the season. After coming back to the game, I noticed I was extremely rusty. I realized that I needed to put some work in and really focus on improving.

I watched some replays of tournament games by top teams and took note of some of the less straight forward techniques used in high level play. This is outside the realm of last hitting or other concrete skill sets, so if you're tired of basic laning tutorials, this is the thread for you.

Here are some concepts that I noticed, and started working on that have instantly improved my game almost back to my previous ability despite my mechanics still being weaker than before.

dancing
"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee"
In my mind, I relate laning to boxing. You stay at a safe range, have a zone around you that you control, and must close distance in order to do damage to your opponent. If you only move side to side, you are predictable. As soon as you move towards me to close distance, I know you are aiming to be aggressive. I used to only "dance" perpendicular to my opponents position and this creates an obvious tell.

To control more space, you must dance towards and away from your opponent, in addition to left and right. This makes you unpredictable. Every time I close distance with you, you do not know if I am being aggressive or not. If I alter the timing of my "dance" and throw your timing off, this is when I can do free damage or cause you to waste one of your own abilities.

Practice always moving in unpredictable ways so that you can earn free damage on your opponent that would not normally be possible. Free damage wins lanes.

never waste time
"Time is money friend"
Wasted time is potentially wasted reward. In high level replays I notice that nearly every autoattack and second is spent on something. At every moment they are dancing and looking for a potential autoattack on the opponent, last hit, or necessary damage on creep. I'm not saying to autoattack the creeps. What I'm saying is that in addition to harass and last hitting you should be spending every second possible on something. If the creep wave needs balancing, don't waste autoattacks waiting. If your opponent is attacking a creep, you autoattack them. Standing idle in your lane waiting for that last hit is wasting opportunity. This is how you add successful aggression to your play.

advantage through exp manipulation
-courtesy of Scylexian

This is widely known at ratings greater than 1500s and you see it frequently used to gain advantage in lanes during tournament games. It's a simple concept really. Gain exp faster than your opponent in order to force a window to occur where you have a level advantage over the enemy. If both sides are even, they are leveling at roughly the same speed. Slightly before you level, you can push the creep wave aggressively in order to level slightly before your opponent. In this window, you force a trade to occur in which you are guaranteed to come out on top.

If I think of anything else or somebody else brings something interesting up, I will add it!

Niqhtmare x

07-31-2012

the dancing is a really good concept to get ahold of

also, if you play like that, your enemy wont be able to "read" you, if your jungler comes to gank

Bigricky

07-31-2012

Only negative thing is it requires A LOT of clicking

I used to play too straight up and mechanical. I was probably extremely easy to predict. I want to step out of the box a little bit as a player.

Poisonpowder

07-31-2012

One of the best things to do in top lane is to push your lane slightly right before level 6 so you hit it before they do and have an immediate ult advantage for an easy kill.

Bigricky

07-31-2012

That's a good one. Will add.

Bigricky

07-31-2012

bump

Mishli

12-01-2012

I'll definitely try to work on these. I'm not very good at these yet, but also for your list there's trading when you have more minions than Your opponent, or Kiting when your opponent tries to initiate so they take minion damage. Would you mind giving some advice on what to do, or countermeasures against zoning or harassment when your opponent can out range you, such as Jayce or Teemo? I like to play poppy top lane, but often I easily get zoned out and harassed because of her low attack speed and small mana pool. Many people simply tell me "just buy gp 10 and turtle" but if you can't even get the money for a gp10 item, that's not very helpful. And if you turtle, then your opponent is getting free farm, then they'll often be able to simply dive you and kill you under the turret if they have any form of cc, such as Darius, Kong, Rengar or Garen. On the same note, what is the best way to beat a champion with natural sustain if you have none yourself? In my experience, buying health is fairly useless, because you can't get it back quick enough, and life steal doesn't help if you can't melee often