Amumu help please.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Master Dim Sum

07-14-2011

So I'm trying to learn Amumu because he seems like a great tank that I can take into ranked play (assuming he isn't banned of course), and he doubles as a jungler so even better.

Anyway, this is what I'm running on him:

Marks: Magic Pen
Seals: Flat Armor
Glyph: Flat MR
Quint: Health and/or Magic Pen

Jungle Path: Blue (w/leash)>Wolves>Gank/Wraiths>Red>Gank/Golems>port>misc jungle.

Build:
C Armor, 5 H pot
B Speed
Merc Treads
Aegis
Then from there:
BV, Sunfire
Then I guess situational.

So here's my deal I think I got the main jungling part down, and the initial build. I notice that blue buff really helps out so I can keep crying (lol) for a long time during team fights and chasing. But I do notice with this build, I'm not quite as tanky as some other tanks that usually build FON/Warmogs. Especially without the health regen.

Perhaps I should switch out the BV for FON? or maybe just go straight for Warmogs after Aegis? then top it off with a GA?

Ganks seems to be pretty easy as well, flash or walk in, badage toss, cry, tantrum when I can.

But yeah team fights I'm having some issue. Obviously you can't always get all 5 of them with the ulti. And I also learned the hard way to take care of Kat before popping it as well. But yeah is it better to be in front of the team (like most tanks) badage toss, Ulti? or flash in and ulti and save badage toss for DPS carry? should I not even be near the team during team fight, than in the middle of it, flash in from the side and Ulti?

So yeah really just looking for some build advice after the initial Merc Treads and Aegis. and trying to figure out the right time to use that ulti. I mean it seems like a great initiator, but at the same time if I do it wrong, I could really F over my team (like I've learned the hard way by not trapping Katarina in it).

help pls. thanks.

Aronnax

07-14-2011

I only sometimes go Sunfire BV because they both give Health and a good amount of resist for a general setup, but my more common build is a Glacial Shroud, Giant's Belt, and FoN because of how long the lane phase seems to last in my games (I get tons of ganks and need the CDR and regen). I consider Swiftness better than Merc because Despair, once activated, stays on through CC and the extra movespeed is benefited further by FoN and allows me to easily position to Toss the carry every chance I get. The only times I build Aegis are when we have a support or when no one on my team has any CC; both scenarios allow my team to live longer while a full CC comp usually involves me grabbing an early Rylai's instead (gives health and AoE slow which allows a rushed Thornmail+FoN combo). I should make an MP Marks page for Amumu but most of my teams require me to be as tanky as possible.

TL;DR: My usual build is Philo boots1 HoG Swiftness Glacial Negatron/Giant'sBelt with 1/19/10 masteries and Armor/Dodge/MR18/Health Marks/Seals/Glyphs/Quints respectively.

Forestgreen02

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-14-2011

I wouldn't get the Sunfire because unlike most tanks amumu doesn't have any skills that really boosts his defense and is very item dependant, and as you know a tank doesn't get alot of gold unless you've been KSing your carry. A better item is Glacial Shroud, as it has amazing anti AD debuff, and provides with enough mana for you to stay in team fights, and nice CDR/AR. But other than that, the items you get should really depend on the opponents you are facing. BV should be really gotten early only if they have high burst mages like annie/brand/veigar. Other AP like anivia/vlad, FoN will better serve you.

Sniperyeti

07-14-2011

Although most of my experience is from playing against him Amumu is enough of a threat with his stun and aoes that he can often be a valid target in a fight, making it very important to have items which keep yourself alive (FoN, Warmogs, Guardian Angel) rather than looking for even more damage through sunfire etc.

Jpeg

07-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 671aznpozer View Post
But I do notice with this build, I'm not quite as tanky as some other tanks that usually build FON/Warmogs. Especially without the health regen.
This is a gold issue you will always have with jungle amumu. You simply won't be able to out farm their tank that is solo top. one note; i work in a heart of gold early this helps with my HP catches me up in gold. Also builds into randuins (which has health regen). Another item you can work in is philo stone.

Quote:
Perhaps I should switch out the BV for FON? or maybe just go straight for Warmogs after Aegis? then top it off with a GA?
again too much gold. most games you will get 1 item after your aegis. i normally go BV or randuin.

Quote:

But yeah team fights I'm having some issue. Obviously you can't always get all 5 of them with the ulti. And I also learned the hard way to take care of Kat before popping it as well. But yeah is it better to be in front of the team (like most tanks) badage toss, Ulti? or flash in and ulti and save badage toss for DPS carry? should I not even be near the team during team fight, than in the middle of it, flash in from the side and Ulti?
this is the major thing to learn about amumu and can make and break your team.

tips;

1)NEVER press R when your team is out of range. as amumu (and if you take flash) you have 2 fairly large almost instant gap closers. you can out range your team easily and they spend the duration of your ulti trying to get to you. I sometimes tell my team... "I'm diving them next creep wave.. be ready".

2) learn to judge engagements. once #1 is taken care of be sure you can win the fight. nothing says GOGOGOGOOO like an amumu ulti. when you press R normally your team will commit and blow everything they have, this is a very good thing when doing solo q. It is also a very bad thing when you press R and didn't realize it was a 5v3.

3) you don't have to press R to start the fight. you can run in, cry, tantrum maybe stun someone or use randuin, this will effectively 'zone' the enemy team. they will spread out, and if their DPS is smart run away from you. at this point your DPS/off tank should be able to pick someone off.

4) patience. most solo q games people are impatient. wait another couple waves, if their team dives under a tower and you have your ulti. g.g.

At the end of the day, it's all about practice. and luck that they dont' ban him in low ELO

1Y 2M 20D

11-16-2012

1: 6 Deathcap
2: Walk in and press R
3: Win game

PoliceofFashion

11-16-2012

I saw someone do this once, fell in love with it and have been playing amumu like this ever since.

Marks (w.e you want, flat amor, atkspd for faster passive debuff, etc)
Seals Flat armor
Glyphs Flat mr
Quints (w.e you want, I rather mspd <3)

Doran Ring < or boots +3hp pots
On my first back I buy whatever I didn't buy at start.
If I'm doing well I get another doran ring or I start building my hp (giant belt) mr (negatron) or armor (chain vest).
I build sunfire or abyssal and then build w.e I didn't build after.

After that it just all depends...oh yeah I build sorc boots <