Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Anivia - Tactics and Items for Experienced Players

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lightpaws

Recruiter

09-10-2010

As a short introduction this is my very first guide, and I'm very honored to write one about the champion that I wholeheartedly respect the most in the League. Please excuse my poor formatting- I'll try to make it as appealing to the eyes as I can!

Anivia, The Cryophoenix (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/champions/34/anivia_the_cryophoenix)

In most lore, the phoenix is a creature of fire that rises from its own ashes. What few know, however, is that phoenixes are elemental beings, formed by the eternal essences of their native world. Anivia was conceived on a world such as this - a being of the coldest winter, a creature of pure elemental ice. On her world, Anivia was the protector of the frozen wastes and all those with the spirit to endure in such unforgiving places. She was consulted as a creature of great wisdom, one who could not die and who had seen the world renewed several times. Somehow, Anivia knew that the day would come when she would be plucked from her home and pulled across worlds, and when that day came, she received the call with grace. Seeing the imbalance and injustice on Runeterra, a world lacking elemental protectors, Anivia took residence at the League of Legends.

''Some say the world will end in fire, some in ice. Anivia awaits the inevitable latter.''

[Passive] Rebirth - Upon dying, Anivia will revert into an egg. If the egg can survive for six seconds, she is gloriously reborn.
----------------------------------------------

[Q] Flash Frost - Anivia brings her wings together and summons a sphere of ice that flies towards her opponents, chilling and damaging anyone in its path. When the lance explodes it does moderate damage in a radius, stunning anyone in the area. A massive chunk of ice flies toward target location, dealing 60/90/120/150/180 (+0.5) magic damage, slowing movement by 20%, and chilling any enemy it passes through.

At the end of its range or if Anivia activates the spell again, the missile detonates, doing 60/90/120/150/180 (+0.5) magic damage in a small area and stunning units for .75 seconds.

Cost: 80/100/120/140/160 Mana
Range: 1100

[W] Crystallize - Anivia condenses the moisture in the air into an impenetrable wall of ice to block the movement of her enemies. The wall only lasts a short duration before it melts.

Anivia summons an impenetrable wall of ice 400/500/600/700/800 units wide, blocking all movement. The wall lasts for 5 seconds before it melts.

Cost: 70/90/110/130/150 Mana
Range: 1000

[E] Frostbite - With a flap of her wings, Anivia blasts a freezing gust of wind at her target, dealing a medium amount of damage. If the target has been slowed by an ice effect, the damage they take is doubled.

Anivia blasts her target with a freezing wind, dealing 55/85/115/145/175 (+0.5) magic damage. If the target has been chilled, they take double damage.

Cost: 50/60/70/80/90 Mana
Range: 650

[R] Glacial Storm - Anivia summons a driving rain of ice and hail to damage her enemies and slow their advance.

Toggle: Anivia calls forth a driving rain of ice and hail, dealing 80/120/160 (+0.25) magic damage per second, slowing their movement and attack speed by 20% for 2.5 seconds, and chilling them.

Cost: 50/70/90 Mana Per Second
Range: 625

Anivia is labeled as:
  • Stun
  • Support
  • Nuke
  • Ranged
  • Mage
  • Slow

Basics:

But keep in mind, Anivia is labeled as support mostly because of her slows/stuns of the varying sorts in combination with her ice wall, but this doesn't necessarily mean you should be breaking your piggy bank open to buy support orientated items.

Anivia is a mage, and she does particularly well in the background of fights where she's relatively safe behind the majority of her teammates. Your job as Anivia is to lay down Glacial Storm, throw stuns, and if you're close enough or in a safe position, to throw frostbite in for a large amount of damage. Or, in particular cases, you can place an ice wall down to intercept an enemy's escape route.

This guide will mainly help you support your team as a high damage nuke character, with an amazingly sustainable AoE with a mana pool you may as well call the Pacific Mana Tide. Now with all jokes aside, this guide will land you roughly ~3.5k mana to invest in your spells.

Notes on Crystallize:
I'd also like to touch base on the topic of Crystallize! The majority of the time, placing an ice wall to cut off an opponent is a great thing to do, and can land you an assist, or grant your team a kill! But! And I cannot stress this enough! Try to think before you place your ice wall, because a smart champion will use an escape mechanism to get past the wall and effectively, cause your icy wall to be your own barrier. Besides your team screaming at you in vent for losing them a kill, you'll feel bad for having failed your job, potentially blue balling your team of a kill if they're hot on the opponent's tail. Another thing is if you're trying to escape, try not to cut off your own team's escape with ice wall! It's even worse than losing a kill for your team if you're the reason that they're waiting at the mana pool to spawn.

In other words: Crystallize can be a double sided blade, so be cautious.

Protip: Casting Crystallize inside brush from a distance is like a mini-clairvoyance, you see things in the bush and beyond! Send the wall in for you, so you can potentially avoid a gank.

Item Discussion:

Anivia is very dependent on mana, and the worst thing to be for yourself and your team, is to be a duck on water: sitting behind your team shooting melee attacks because you've ran out of mana, essentially a liability.

For simplicity's sake, I'll list the order of times that I usually grab after I explain my reasoning. The first item I rush is Tear of the Goddess (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/../items#3070). The reason I rush this item is because I'm aiming for the highest mana pool I can get. After a while, usually around level 6-8(?) when you have sufficient mana, try to obtain your Golem buff if it's free from foresters, allowing you to spam your skills and essentially proc the UNIQUE Passive from Tear of the Goddess (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/../items#3070).

Getting Boots of Speed (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/../items#1001) as a second item is very important, especially against skill shot champions, or getting away from potential ganks because you're the slowest champion in the League. Build them into Sorcerer's after you construct Catalyst the Protector (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/../items#3010).

[Starting items]: Meki Pendant (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/../items#1005) + Health Potion (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/../items#2003) + Mana Potion (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/../items#2004)
  1. Tear of the Goddess (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/../items#3070)
  2. Boots of Speed
    (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/../items#1001)
  3. Catalyst the Protector (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/../items#3010)
  4. Rod of Ages (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/../items#3027) (Recommended)
  5. Sorcerer's Shoes (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/../items#3020) (Needed for magic pen)
    (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/../items#3020)
  6. Archangel's Staff (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/../items#3003) (Core Item)
From this point forward, you should be able to judge the situation on which items to get. If you find you're getting harassed or stunned in fights, it's recommended to grab Banshee's Veil (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/../items#3102). If there's a tank of the likes stacking health, like the mighty Cho'Gath posing a 4k HP threat to your team, grab Deathfire Grasp (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/../items#3128). And if your team is having a hard time wrapping the game up, a good way to spike your AP to ~325, is to grab Zhonya's Ring (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/items#3089). Without Zhonya's ring, you should be at a comfortable level of ~230 AP.

On another note, if you find Veigar to be on the opposing team, your worst enemy with this 200-300 AP build, to be targeting you with his ultimate, you may want to rush Zhonya's Ring- popping it to negate the damage he's sent to off you, or using Flash to completely dodge the burst and put yourself into a safe location. Rod of Ages will give you ~650 HP on top of your natural HP, letting you take damage without being a glass cannon.

Mastery Build: 9/0/21

Having the bonus movement, neutral buff duration, mana/health regen, and 5% more mana really helps while being Anivia. Imp Flash helps, being that besides slows and her Crystallize, she has no escape mechanisms! Having cool-down reduction and movement speed helps keep you quick on your toes too.

Rune Setup:
What my tree looks like, or what I would wish it to look like, is Yellow Flat Health runes, Blue Flat Cooldown Reduction runes, Red Flat Magic Penetration runes, and Flat Health Quintessences.

Summoner Spells:

Flash - Core summoner spell, helps you escape, being that you're a slow character with no escape mechanisms.

Clairvoyance - Great team support summoner spell! Amazing for your Flash Frost, and really gives you that cutting edge in team fights, when you're in their fog of war and they can't see you when you're not casting!

Clarity- It's a good item to keep you in your lane longer, farming those minions with your AoE and keeping harassment up on characters that need that tough loving to be put into a tough situation. With my mana build, it's great beginning game, but dwindles end game, so this is really up to your call.

Teleport - I've had this done to me before: you're attacking Anivia and she's about to go into egg, so she casts teleport on a friendly tower and quickly ports away in front of your eyes, causing much rage from the kill-denied player. Personally I've never done it myself, but I'd suspect you'd have to cast it before going into egg.

Ignite- It's also a great spell for beginning level kills or for late game, when an enemy has life steal coming out their ears. This is a very aggressive spell, and if you're kill hungry I'd recommend going this with flash. I can't remember how many times I've fought a Tristana in mid who got cocky, jumped in and started nuking me down, only to find out that my Ignite was ticking away their last bar of health after I had nuked them while I'm safe in rebirth, watching my minions tick away slowly at their health. (Keep note that

As for the rest of the spells: Exhaust, Ghost(previous two more for physical dps IMO), Heal, Revive (you shouldn't be dieing), Smite, Cleanse, Fortify (previous 3 for tanks or fighters/carries), and Rally are not for your Anivia, you already have enough burst potential and a mana pool to cast whatever you like, without having to blue-pill frequently from going OOM.

For summoner spells, I tend to be more team oriented than not- being in a somewhat moderate ELO- it makes solo queuing easier, especially if your team respects you and doesn't think you're some greedy jerk! =P

Update 9/26/10: I stick to my guns on Flash + Ignite now, I since my Crystallize reveals an area and potentially can lock enemies into a position, I don't need Clarity much because of the mana pool I buy into, and I save Teleport for the minion-killing champions, although I do have minion killing potential.

As for the rest of my guide, I suppose I'll try to roughly describe your objectives throughout the game.

Levels 1-6

While being moderately conservative on mana, your job is to first test your laning opponent to see how quick their wits are about them. The basic spell combo you want to grab is [Q] Flash Frost at level 1, and [E] Frostbite at level 2 and continue to level up your skills in this order. If your opponent dodges your first two flash frosts completely, focus on last hitting minions, and using your [Q] Flash Frost to sweep damage through the melee creep wave, back to the mage row, and detonate it slightly behind them, so they get the path and the detonation damage. Use your basic ranged melee and try to get last hits on them. As soon as you hit level 6, grab [R] Glacial Storm, making it much easier to clear out the minion waves. Don't blow all your mana at once, but don't be afraid to blue-pill. You'll make up late game for minion kills anyways, being that you'll sustain your AoE long enough to kill a whole wave of minions with much to spare.

In the same scenario, but your enemy gets socked by your stun, finding it difficult to dodge, then run up (if it's safe and you know it) and cast Frostbite on them, giving them the much loved nuke damage of Anivia. As soon as you hit level 6, grab [R] Glacial Storm. Try to cast your [Q] Flash Frost, follow it towards them, place your [R] Glacial Storm beneath them, and then throw [E] Frostbite for massive damage. Occasionally with Ignite this will get you a kill, but with your basic spell damage in the beginning, doing this a few times can completely devastate an opponent.

Also don't be afraid of using long ranged melee attacks to harass those pesky melee carries in the beginning, it's very useful because of it's extremely long range.

Update(thanks jaw33) 9/26/10: "If your opponent in mid is a movement spammer, then hitting them with a Flash Frost is much harder. Once you get to level 6, you can just run at them, lay down a Glacial Storm, Frostbite, and then run away. This does a considerable amount of damage, and will make the enemy think twice before standing there next time. This can also lead to lane domination, and exp denying, and in general, it is much easier to Storm -> Frostbite, than it is to Flash Frost a wily target."

Again I thank you for graciously reminding me of this tactic. Silly me! So young, so naive!

Levels 6-12

Grabbing Golem buff when it's free of farmers will do wonders to help you fund your mana pool! The cooldown reduction is amazing and it refunds your mana for each point you've lost. The increased duration of buffs in your utility tree will be great here, allowing your Tear of Goddess to cap as quick as possible. Around this time, you have to be careful not to over extend, as most characters will underestimate your potential power and decide to gank you. Careful watch of the map and slow minion farming maybe needed if team fights haven't already broken out. Farm minions to your heart's content, and if you have clairvoyance, make sure to check the hot spots around you.

Buying Elixir of Brilliance (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/../items#2039) is a great item if you have the spare 300 gold at the mana pool! The CDR and AP is a great addition to your build, and will pay you back almost double if you concentrate on getting gold- saving you mana and time waiting for your cooldowns.

Levels 12-18

This is pretty much end-game, where this build tends to really shine. If you're doing well, you should have good items, and possibly more than just your core items and a few to spare. Place your [R] Glacial Storm down where the enemies stand in team fights and send out a few stuns over it, maybe throw an [W] Crystallize in and separate their team, making them run the long way around and opening up potential ganks. Spam these two abilities to your heart's content, using the [E] Frostbite and [R] Glacial Storm when the opportunity arises.

Although you already have a large mana pool, it's nice to grab Golem for the cooldown reduction and massive mana regen! Try to not over extend though, potential gankers are always lurking about, looking for you!

Please post replies, or point out any errors, it took me 3 hours to write this guide, and I'm very tired! x) I would love feedback too, and your potential enhancements to the guide.

Rolenfo

09-12-2010

Most of the time another support should be taking Clairvoyance, so it shouldn't be a problem. I don't agree with rushing Archangels, but I do agree on getting it, but after rod, as rod is only useful early game, and plus getting the extra mana+health will help since most likely you'll get targeted because of the high damage output. Also you should include some extra items, such as ones you'd use against being targeted, like Banshees or another health+armor/resist item. Also mention to get the mercury threads in case there is a lot of CC on you or AoE CC.

I do like the guide, the format is very easy to use and read.

+1

Fallon x

09-12-2010

I also agree with Rolenfo about the Archangels staff because you cant control the bonus from RoA except for getting it as early as possible, and with the tear it will build up whether or not you turn it into a staff. Other than that it is a great guide and we have a very similar style of play. Great build for Anivia and well explained tactics. Overall I would say this is a great guide for beginners to Anivia as well as the advanced players.

+1

Lightpaws

Recruiter

09-15-2010

@Rolenfo +Fallon x: Thanks a lot for the input guys, I appreciate your contribution and I altered the item list accordingly- being that I usually grab Rod of Ages as my first complete item. ^_^

I'm thinking about adding more tactics, and I know you say another support should be taking Clairvoyance, but most of my experience is from solo queue. It helps a lot because you can drop it where needed. I can't remember who said this, but map knowledge is power!

Nadipity

Recruiter

09-16-2010

Just a typo fix:

Quote:
Lightpaws:
The basic spell combo you want to grab is [Q] Flash Frost at level 1, and [E] Flash Frost at level 2 and continue to level up your skills in this order.

Flash Frost -> Frostbite

Otherwise, nicely done guide.

Montegomery

Recruiter

09-16-2010

Tear -> RoA -> AA is definitely my standard build, usually followed up by Zhonya's or Abyssal Scepter (or both!). Occasionally I like to grab a Rylai's as a third or fourth item depending on the situation. The slow may seem redundant but it stacks with Glacial Storm, making it excruciatingly difficult to move through or escape. Killing the enemy team's mobility in this manner can be absolutely killer, and the extra health certainly doesn't hurt.

Lightpaws

Recruiter

09-27-2010

@Montegomery: Last time I checked, slows don't stack- the highest slow takes effect, nullifying the others. Rylai's gives a slow, "15% for multi-target spells" and on Anivia's champion page, "glacial storm slows movement and attack speed by 20% for 2.5 seconds, chilling them." Essentially, you're wasting money on Rylai's my friend- I'd recommend no longer incorporating Rylai's into your build. Another thing is that with my build you should have a comfortable health level- no need for ~3k health on a back-row mage, in my opinion.

Edit: Thanks for pointing out my error Nadipity, fixed.

hypershatter

09-27-2010

nice basic guide

check mine out if u have time. its kinda like an encyclopedia than a guide now lol

here:
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/updated-controlling-anivia-with-beginner-section-13978

Lightpaws

Recruiter

10-25-2010

Small update- last time I played by this guide, I pulled a rather good score. Honestly I'd say I was the link that held our team together, but that's just me blowing my own horn. :3

I ended up with around 600 AP, and my build wasn't even complete yet- I was building a Sheen into Lich Bane, but the game ended soon after a team fight, resulting in an ace on our enemies.

I've yet to see my guide moved onto the League Guide page, but I still have high hopes for my guide.

Edit: I have to admit I was playing on a 3 person premade with PUGers, but they did have some decent players. Both teams tried their very hardest and they didn't give up until the very end of the game. =)

Decklan

10-25-2010

"Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice, of what I've tasted of desire, I hold with those who favor fire." Sounds a bit better than anivia's lame quote. It's robert frost btw.