Zyra - Creative Design Ask Me Anything

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skribbles

Associate Writer

07-30-2012
3 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz al Ghul View Post
Is Zyra's passive her in her original plant form?

What can you tell us about the Plague Lands that she hails from?

Has the remainder of Zyra's original plant species died off?

What are her goals now that basic survival needs are less of an issue?

She doesn't seem to have the ability to empathize or feel emotions on a human level, is she just driven towards maintaining her own survival or driven towards gaining more power, kind of like Xerath? I don't see what her goals are, and if she has values like normal human beings have, or if the plant aspect of her still reigns supreme in that respect.

Does she have an inner struggle between her human side and plant side now that she's merged the two together?
- I don't think so. You could say it's derived from the same plant, but I saw Zyra as being a much larger, expansive plant. Possibly even a network of plants/flowers, growing from the same set of roots.
- I can't tell you much, we're actually doing some internal explorations about some of these regions and right now we're thinking Zyra's location may change as a result. Hopefully more information about the various regions will be forthcoming.
- As far as Zyra is aware, all others are dead.
- Her goals are to experience the world from this new perspective. For a being so ancient to suddenly change in such a dramatic fashion, it's like a complete rebirth. In this way, basic survival is still an issue, because she is experiencing the world anew.
- Initially, I think, she didn't have much more concern for people than we tend to have for the cow that provided the cheeseburger, but I can see her developing a certain curiosity, the more she learns. For the time being though, life on her own two feet, free of roots, should provide quite a bit of new experiences for her.
- There can be some question about whether or not she gained humanity from the sorceress, but at least for now, I don't see there being much of that present. The sorceress was a means to an end that, if anything, would only have planted a small seed of humanity in her. So no struggle yet, I imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbro View Post
Ahri and Zyra both transformed into "humans" do they show any feelings to each other?
I think there's a slight difference here. Ahri has always dreamed of becoming human, whereas Zyra just learned the recipe for a body in which her consciousness could survive. I wouldn't be surprised, for instance, to learn that she has xylem and phloem as opposed to veins and arteries. I don't think Zyra wants to be human at all.

Based on this, I think Ahri might be a subject of interest to Zyra, since there is some commonality to how they both came to be. Otherwise she would just be a many-tailed snack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longsworder View Post
Does she care at all about the Solari/Lunari issue, or do matters of human society not concern her?

Does she have an opinion on Fiddlesticks, what with his form being a protector of plants?

How does she feel about the various fire-wielding champions of the League? Brand, Annie, Shyvana...

Does she feel any kinship for Ahri, what with both of them originally not being human and both feeding on humans to become like one?

Does she have an opinion on what happened to the Twisted Treeline, the magical poisoning that managed to create Maokai?
- I don't think matters of human society concern her...yet.
- I think she might like to learn more about Fiddlesticks, both because he is assembled from sticks and he is distinctly unlike most of the other creatures she's met. They share a similar level of apathy for standard human concerns.
- She probably does regard fire champions with a slight extra degree of hesitation, although I think Zyra likes a challenge.
- See previous post.
- No opinions, but I'm sure she'd like to understand the magic more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph289 View Post
So Zyra said she used her newfound magic to make herself a "human" form.

First off, why join the League? Easy meal ticket?

Second, for a human form, she obviously got . . . ahem . . . *some bits* correct, but other parts (the four pointed ears) are an obvious divergence from human anatomy. Why?

Is Zyra considered human now, or a plant? I don't see her putting down roots, so I'm guessing she metabolizes through direct ingestion (eating), rather than photosynthesis. The biology of it all makes my head hurt. Does she still eat people for nutrition?
- I'd love to do some explorations of this in the future, but I think she joined the League as sort of a way to hide in plain sight. If she just went about through human society, she would be taking heavy risks with the sudden mortality she's acquired. As a champion, many doors are opened for her.
- Hers wasn't a one-to-one conversion. She used a combination the understanding of humans that she got from the sorceress and the shapes to which she was accustomed to create her body.
- I'd consider her more of a plant, but really she's more. In terms of photosynthesis, I don't think she has lost much of what made her a plant, but she is sort of like an exaggerated version of the venus flytrap which, if I'm not mistaken, uses both. Since she's now much more active, she will need more energy/food in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snailygoat View Post
Jesse Perring, not because he is the right answer, but Jesse Perring cannot be considered wrong...

Between Zyra's sneak peak artwork and her reveal artwork(now the default), I had 2 very different vibes coming from them. From the sneak peak, she had the sort of Ahri feel to her, where for example she might taunt people on the roads to follow her into their demise. But she certainly had a more human feel/look to her. But from her reveal artwork she seems to have a much darker look to her and is more unnatural and scary(in a good way!). Were there any changes made after her reveal to her lore or appearance that affected this? Or was it all planned that way?
The judges have accepted your riddle answer.

I think the two pieces of art show two sides of her. It is a bit unfortunate that they can mislead you about her base character, but I like the dichotomy of them together. Zyra is a predator, yes, but she is also something of a child, new to her current form and newly able to venture out of the small patch of land she's known her whole life.

It's often difficult to make semi-monstrous female characters because you frequently need to walk the tightrope between beauty and scariness. In this case, I think the artists really nailed it.

NVDax

07-30-2012

Do you know if she has any opinions of The Void destroying all, and everything?

Thorthedark

07-30-2012

Nice, Jumanjiish riddle.

Was Zyra's lore about her original plant form in her lore (before humanoid) based on the movie The Ruins?
Because it sounds exactly like her.
If you watch the movie you can totally see it.

Quiksilvur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2012

I really like Zyra, lorewise especially. Her situation has been done, but I notice that Ahri, Maokai, and Zyra are vastly different takes on the same concept of sudden consciousness and humanity.

Of course, the connections between these three seem to have been thoroughly addressed by now, so I've got a few other questions.

1. Where does Zyra stay? I originally thought she might hang around hear her point of origin, but when I thought about it, I figured that she would want to get away from the wasteland that very nearly starved her to death. Does she roam, or stay at the League?

2. Is the League keeping tabs on her? Zyra, with her newly born, predatory, primal nature, might warrant some security, or guidelines to control her. I understand people in Runeterra are generally quite more formidable then the average Joe from Earth, but Zyra running about unchecked would scare me.

3. Finally, does Zyra have any method to reproduce? Most (if not all) species have an innate desire to reproduce, and plants do this out of sheer biological programming. Now, I'd catergorize Zyra farther into the animal territory, at least due to her elevated awareness and conscious mind. Does she have any plans, or even any idea about reproduction? Or is she solely concerned about her own survival?

I'm loving these things more and more, because it really fleshes a character out. Thanks for doing this!

Mädchen

07-30-2012

Zyra's motivations in general seem highly nebulous. Is the lion's share of her interest in the world merely to explore it? Being a plant most of her life, I doubt she has too many deeply held beliefs about politics or anything (yet), but does she any specific goals in mind? Repopulating her home, or anything of the ilk?

Azrael1453

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2012

What does Zyra do off the fields of justice?

How does she go about exploring this world and learning more about other champions as you mentioned?

She's clearly dangerous so is she bound to the League like Nocturne, Brand and Cho'gath or is she considered like the other "civilized" champions who can be reasoned with? Or is it like Shaco's deal - vague and allowed to do whatever the hell she wants under the League's protection?

maxterdexter

07-30-2012

Rammus and the mystical hedge that gave him sentinence. Rival plant of old Zyra? Or even part of herself?

Mirana Arashi

07-30-2012

Hello Skribbles and thanks for answering all these questions.

I'm going to do a very silly question , but , with her current semi-human Anatomy , Does she have a heart?

If she does(or maybe doesn't) , Is she going to have Strong feelings , like Mercy , empathy , Sadness?

Gothic Rose

07-30-2012

Considering the inspiration she was drawn from (i.e., Wakfu's Sadidas) why was Zyra made into a Poison Ivy-esque character, rather that something less traditional for a plant-babe?

Sylph

Emissary of the League

07-30-2012

It's really a shame that more people do not take the time to read this. So much time and effort is placed into developing this type of material. Such a shame. Props to the creative design team & art team.