How do you use runes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sergent TME3

07-30-2012

I'm new and i am wondering how to use runes, what are they and how do they help me

LowlyingLemur

07-30-2012

I've never used any, but i'll try to explain what i know.

Runes are purchasable in the store in exchange for IP and can be placed on your summoner before the champ select screen to give some (minor) bonuses, usually most helpful at the start of the game when the stats are more significant (late game they tend to pale relative to the bonuses you will have from your items)

Most players recommend avoiding tier 1 and tier 2 runes and only buying the tier 3 runes that become available at summoner level 20. Some players say buy tier 1 runes also and just skip tier 2.

There are 4 types of runes: red marks (offensive marks tend to be superior to glyphs/seals), yellow seals (defensive oriented), blue glyphs (magical affinity), and purple quintessences (or quints) which provide the biggest boosts. Full rune page at level 30 is nine of each except only 3 quints.

You have a limited number of "rune pages" which allow you to switch runes while at the champ select screen. You start with two pages and can purchase more for 6300 IP apiece or there is a bundle with multiple pages that you can buy with RP.

To modify your rune pages (once you have some runes) go to your summoner profile (button in the top right) and the runes tab.

Hope that helped.
-LL

EDIT: corrected "wards" to "seals"

DemonicUtensil

07-30-2012

Every level until 30 you unlock a new rune slot (either a quintessence, mark, seal, or glyph). Until level 10, you can only use tier 1 runes. At level 10, you can use tier 2 runes. At level 20 you can use tier 3 runes.

Runes are basically items. You buy them, put them in the rune slots, and they give your champion a set of stats. The different types of runes offer different bonuses. Marks are generally offensive, seals defensive, and glyphs related to abilities. Quints do everything.

You can find runes that don't correspond to their type. You can buy magic resist marks, for example. However, in the rune page screen they will be marked as "secondary" or "Tertiary" and give an inferior bonus to the "primary" rune for that stat. Also, not everything is obvious; the "primary" mana regen rune is a seal, but you may think that mana is related to abilities and thus it would be a glyph.

Basically, they allow you to enter the game with additional items/stats already there, much like masteries.

I don't have an opinion on this myself, but it's generally recommended to stick to tier 1 runes until you hit level 20. They give you almost as much benefit as tier 2-3 runes at a significantly reduced cost. Most people then ignore tier 2 runes so they can save IP for champions and tier 3 runes.

SharkbaitBruhaha

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2012

Do not bother with the lower tier runes they will become a waste of IP. Right now just buy champs you like with IP, you can start saving up IP if you'd like also. You can look at other people's rune pages and see what is used. I'd recommend finding a playstyle you like first such as ranged AD or AP mid or support etc and then looking what good rune set-ups they have.

NamidaTekika

07-30-2012

I started getting runes at about level 12 myself. The tier 2 runes aren't bad but not super great.

However they do become noticable at that point as you have a few more slots and they are decent. The passive bonuses start adding up though, just from things like the armor or AP per level stuff.