Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

If we got the "Black Champions" ...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SMCForum

07-30-2012

Most people would be aghast at riot for their insensitivity.

I mean a black person always summonable by some power brokering robed figure, who is no doubt a honkey... forced to fight and run around for said honkies causes that they have no stake in and get no benefits or rewards from.

Sounds alot like you people that want black champions really want to virtually live the Liberian dream.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Larias

Adjudicator

07-30-2012

I have Black Alistar and Nocturne, so I don't really know what's up with the "ZOMG NO BLACK CHAMPIONS" thing.

IS1e0051c40f2a60d2a9654

07-30-2012

I want a black champion named Tyrone

Arikuto

07-30-2012

Quote:
SMCForum:
Most people would be aghast at riot for their insensitivity.

I mean a black person always summonable by some power brokering robed figure, who is no doubt a honkey... forced to fight and run around for said honkies causes that they have no stake in and get no benefits or rewards from.

Sounds alot like you people that want black champions really want to virtually live the Liberian dream.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Power brokering robed figure, who is no doubt a honkey.... Many lulz were had this day, but yes this will indeed hit SEVERAL soft spots in racial politics in this game. They make the nose a little wide, "DAHFUQ IS DAT NOSE, WE DONT ALL HAVE DAT NOSE!" Ect ect, this subject is too touchy and I personally think we should just keep the real world political issues away from the fictional world

StupidWiz

07-30-2012

Quote:
Domina Shantotto:
I want a black champion named Tyrone

lmao

Siegfryd

07-30-2012

Leona lives in the sun and is the whitest character ever, they could've at least given her a tan.

The3rdRunePage

07-30-2012

IS13c7fafe7804f7429d10e

07-30-2012

Quote:
Larias:
I have Black Alistar and Nocturne, so I don't really know what's up with the "ZOMG NO BLACK CHAMPIONS" thing.

Imagine the only women in the league were
a) Anivia and other monsters
b) Poppy
c) Ezreal in one of his skins
d) Arguably Taric

You would get people shouting "No women in the league!", too.

So I can understand where these people are coming from - there are very few champions with a skintone that doesn't look simply "tanned" but "hailing from desert/subtropic/tropic climate", skin tone wise. The only one I can think of is Malzahar and maybe Karma off the top of my head, Nidalee's skin tone is of the sun studio kind.

So yeah, it's underrepresented. And being a fantasy world does not make a very good excuse when there's a french accent going 'round and there actually are one or two champions with such skin tone.

Personally, I don't know why people oppose the idea, nor why people bring it up constantly. Being against it is subtle racism. Being for it is, too, just the other way around. So I'm indifferent.

Eserine

07-30-2012

Quote:
Arikuto:
Power brokering robed figure, who is no doubt a honkey.... Many lulz were had this day, but yes this will indeed hit SEVERAL soft spots in racial politics in this game. They make the nose a little wide, "DAHFUQ IS DAT NOSE, WE DONT ALL HAVE DAT NOSE!" Ect ect, this subject is too touchy and I personally think we should just keep the real world political issues away from the fictional world

Once again, there are many modern games with black human characters where this has not been an issue, and further they can make multiple black characters with different noses to demonstrate that they are capable of transcending the prejudices on display in this thread as you characterize the online community as obsessed with political correctness.

I feel like most forum posters are not aware that Riot employees have acknowledged on numerous occasions (including last week) that no black human characters exist in the game, so arguing that any character seems "partially black" or "sort of black or maybe indian" when the company itself, beyond those thousands of players posting on the forum all the time on this issue, agrees that there aren't any, is a very bad line of argument to pursue.

The official statement is similar to what is posted directly above "Black people are impossible because it is a fantasy world". which understandably is a very poor rationalization, ill-concealing deeper motivations I think are apparent.

BraumBackMountin

07-30-2012

Oh this thread again... Moving along

*inb4 wukong