Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Riot needs to add more incentive to play a support.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Leonixxiii

07-30-2012

Quote:
gvaness:
I feel the same until about minute 30.
Once it turns to team fights, the number of support champs that I feel I contribute with plummets.

Don't just ask what you can do, but what you've done... Because you have warded, swept away theirs, and fed your team brings you closer to a win... Also a good supporter is never without options to make a meaningful impact.

laxjoh

07-30-2012

Quote:
Leonixxiii:
Don't just ask what you can do, but what you've done... Because you have warded, swept away theirs, and fed your team brings you closer to a win... Also a good supporter is never without options to make a meaningful impact.

Agreed. A good support will always have something to do. A good support will save your teammates with a clutch heal/CC/or spell that can prevent ally deaths AND turn the tide of a team battle. If you told me, even with the nerf, Sona was useless past the 30 minute mark, then you'd be dead wrong. That Crescendo is so OP when timed perfectly and coordinated with. Supports will get easily killed past 30 minute mark if you aren't careful and you get caught. You shouldn't get caught in the first place though as a support. Sometimes, if you are being dominated by the enemy team, it's hard to ward up but if you keep wards up, you have general map awareness. This will lead you to successful ganks and successful team battles.

Out of curiosity, which support champs do you use OP?
---
I checked out your stats. If you're playing Janna, you need to learn to use her Q spell defensively and you already have shield, a push/heal ult, and a W passive that makes you uber fast while slowing down enemy champs. 5 death isn't that bad but you generally don't want to be the one dying as a support.

Shottymaster

07-30-2012

When I support, I'm aggressive about it. I don't just hang back and pray that my AD carry doesn't do something stupid to get one or both of us killed. You typically start with a Faerie Charm for a reason; other than the fact that it lets you start with wards and potions due to the price, it gives mana regen. Abuse that mana regen wherever you can to poke and eventually force a recall.

Swin

11-19-2012

I am coming back to some previous threads I have made, and I feel a bit differently about this topic now. I was just a little disappointed because before, mainly if I was a tank, I could buy crazy defensive items and cooldown reduction, and disrupt their team non stop. Mainly as Leona, but playing a support is not as boring as I once thought. I still play leona, and now play a lot of sona, and they are fun as long as I can keep aggressive. It is just different from what I was used to. Thanks for the replies they helped out.

phil002

11-20-2012

I love to play support. Especially Janna. I feel like adc is most boring IMHO because all I ever do is last hit ans auto attack. As a support I have to be on my toes, watching for ganks being ready to bubble or ult in response to a gank or skillshot. I have to be mindful of my gold and build accordingly and not just follow the core build to max my damage. I'm responsible for protecting and feeding my carry.

To me it makes the game more interesting than less. Especially when I end up with a lot of assists and extra gold. Get to really diversify my build.

Joe Krake

11-20-2012

supports great. You poke when you can, ward the map to help out the team and punish the enemy when they commit to killing you.

Even later on in late game when team fights are happening you can still throw a wrench in the enemies plans with a support character. Like using Sorakas E to silence somebody or wish to heal everyone and give them extra health to work with.

Or lulu turning their damage dealer into that animal thing.

There's a lot you can do and you'll never be useless when played right. You can keep your team on the front lines a lot longer than they normally would if you play right.

It's a thankless job.

Grollm

11-20-2012

Quote:
Lady Meowzor:
Well the way you support is boring I must say, I main support and I'm very aggressive, I do bush sit but I do it to get a full skill rotation on them. Supporting is not boring at all. I enjoy wrecking them and helping my ADC to get the last hit on them. I must say you simply are not cut out for being a support. And about your gold issue, supports are not item dependent, You're not the AP carry or Solotop nor you're the tank. You support them with your skills not your items. Yes Aura items ARE useful but I have no difficulty in buying them with the amount of assists you get. And in mid/late game your job is to possibly bait them, gtfo out of their skillshots and stay back and support your team while CCng them. A support does not need kills or for example a Rabadon's Deathcap..

Unless you're playing a tank support that needs to be tanky, like Leona, Alistar, Shen, or Nautilus. When I'm playing a tank support I usually rush gp10s, then a Warmogs, then depending what's going on I will either build an Aegis or a Frozen Heart, and then upgrade into my Randuins and Shurleyas.

Niiko The Goat

11-20-2012

I like not having to farm all the time and take a breather every now and then sitting in the brush, waiting for a bad move on the opponent's side and make them pay for that. I've been playing Taric the last games and he's really cool, you get to be aggressive and with the stun you can help the ADC get kills pretty easily, and even late game the stun is pretty useful.

Whenever I read about someone not liking support it all comes down to the same thing, in that they can't carry and don't find fun to have another teammate take the spotlight, so to them it's not only about winning but also being the star of the game (which most people simplify to the concept of KDA). To play support (and jungle) you have to be on the mindset that winning is the ultimate goal, that way you will never envy seeing your teammates getting all the kills and glory, you have to be a team player.

chomcham

11-20-2012

It is what you get out of playing support. Generally standing in a bush and protecting your adc is the least amount of work you can do as support. I find their is so much more you can do as a support to make yourself useful.
List of things I do to keep myself useful:
Ward timers on both enemy and your wards:
Dragon timers
Blue enemy timers:
Supporting the adc: mostly in laning phase and other phases.
Scouting, general your jungle and their blue area: Until you have to start warding other areas IE their red, enemy jungle entrances, etc. "BARON"
Keeping track of the general map:
Where the jungler is and your opponents:
Engages- Depending on what support I am this is more or less important. Focusing certain targets IE Taric stunning appropriate targets or Nunu sitting on the adc with frostball. I think you get the general idea and this works for both sides. Keeping certain people alive or helping kill certain people.

Another important thing is summoners: Keeping timers and keeping up on summoners for both enemies and teammates. A flash can make a difference between a kill and letting someone get away.
Keep in mind their is so much more you can do I just did not mention it: Mechanics is very important but that a whole other monster. If you never find something new to do as a support then maybe you should try another position. :P
Supporting is not suppose to be a glorifying job. You get the most out of it by knowing you won a game and did your job. You wont get the most kills or be the strongest on your team but your team going to thank you for being the rock that holds them together. Because without you doing everything you can as support then your team would not be aware of most things around them.

My Fav supports: Taric, Leona, NUNU

Although I feel confident with every support and if you are a good support you should feel the same. Your confidence and skill will allow you to help outplay your opponents and defeat them.

Nerchio

11-20-2012

I support with Leona, Alistar, Sona and Nunu, and I don't get bored with them, Just play agressive poke them all the time u can.