Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

A potential suggestion about "pausing"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chobra

07-29-2012

tl;dr at end, kinda long

this part is a slight background of today, main suggestion is below, starting with a header
So for those of you who watched the finals for ECC:Poland, you know what all the talk is about. What we know as viewers is M5 paused during what ended up being crucial points in game, and the result is they took home 1st place. Alex Ich told us that he was not feeling well and requested to go to the bathroom to wash his face with some fresh water.

I personally try to only take what I know, and in that case, I hold nothing negative against M5 for said pause(s). However, some people are providing certain reasoning that are sensible. Regardless of whether M5 did it intentionally or not, these are things that should always be kept in mind.

A key point among these is that the pause happened when CLG EU was gaining/holding momentum. Alright. Some people might counter argue saying technically CLG also had time to discuss and keep it up etc. etc., but fact of reality is, yeah momentum is a slightly unconscious thing, if it gets paused, even if nothing changed factually in game, its hard to keep it at the same exact level/growth. Regardless of today's events, this is something that people could potentially look to exploit. That much is true. There is a possibility, no matter how big or how small.

But on the other hand, if someone feels like they're about to throw up, faint etc. (i.e. anything that would physically impair them from continuing the game for a period of time), they shouldn't be forced to choose between playing 4v5 (and/or forfeiting) or plowing through risking their own health. As some people also mentioned, aside from the obvious concern for each player's health, it also never looks good to see someone experience that kind of misfortune live on any event.

Suggestion begins here, tl;dr still at end
What could be done here? There's multiple options, including keeping things as is. Nothing is morally or fundamentally wrong with how it's set up currently, just perhaps not as optimized in some views.

You have to have at least some allowance of a pause/time out, or else you would force sick players into a predicament as noted above. But it could be improved if it was based on a much "stricter" and objective standard. Any allowance of pauses will still leave a slight margin for people who want to exploit it. But these are just human factors. A lot of people brought sports as an example. Even in sports, teams will often use the time-outs they are allotted for more than just physical emergencies. They'll take time to regroup, they'll use it to stop clocks depending on the actual sport's rulings on that, they'll use it to halt the opponent's momentum, the list goes on and on. Sure, a lot of people will commend teams/players that don't even step one bit over the line into a murky area of exploiting, and that's fine, the respect given is great. But that doesn't make the other people a cheater. If you want to personally not support them because you think their methods are less than desirable that's fine...but that's a personal matter. They are merely finding ways they find advantageous within the given ruleset.

So, my thought is, and bear in mind I'm pretty much rough drafting this out myself right now so it's really just a starting point, what if both teams were given one pause (with a reasonably short time limit) to be used in each match. The rulings on say...technicaly difficulties and such should still be kept. So this would be an "additional" (or "free&quot pause. This would allow it to function in essence much more like a time-out in conventional sports. This would mean that for teams who have no plans to exploit...well they get to keep it until they truly feel there may be an imminent physical/mental emergency. Add a carefully crafted ruling on what would happen SHOULD a player face such an emergency while no longer having the pause available, and that would also give other teams something to think about when they want to consider exploiting the function.

Again, not a polished thought, and one thing I can think of is, yeah it could potentially push League down the path of more...intermittent flow of gameplay, perhaps making it "less" exciting. Any other suggestions/modifications/criticism are definitely welcome, but this was just a starting point that came to mind after seeing the discussions across the web.

tl;dr Regardless of today's events, open pause function leaves something to be considered. What if something was worked in along the lines of both sides getting one free pause of their own reasons (aside from technical difficulties of the venue), making it more akin to traditional sports? (yes, it would definitely still need more polished/specific ruling)

PRC5

07-29-2012

Most organized team sports have rules about time outs and etc. Makes sense for League to get some, in my opinion.

Prometheius

07-29-2012

They already have organized rules for pauses and they're very clear about what is or is not allowed.

Legal pauses are NOT what M5 has been doing.

Chobra

07-29-2012

@Prometheius I know we had an extensive discussion separately, but just leaving what I added while speaking with you for those on GD:

my real point with this is that, in my personal opinion, rulings are always subject to being affected by human interpretation and subjectivity. Therefore as a scene grows, of course amends may be in order. Often times, again in my opinion, this entails setting rules that are clearer but legally leave a margin for possibly exploiting, and setting that down as a standard. that statement isn't as clear but I'm going to leave it at that so I don't ramble again, if anyone would like a clarification I'll add it separately ^_^