Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

So who is tear a good item on?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Buddy

07-29-2012

Blitz.

Arcus Veles

Recruiter

07-29-2012

Depends on who you ask, on what champ and when in the game you're considering it. You're almost guaranteed to have someone disagree with you on its purchase on anyone but Ryze though. The item has a bad rep.

Razzcastic

07-29-2012

any champions passed that are better off with just chalice ---> unholy grail

Exception? ppl who are building manamune obviously

Sweagen

07-29-2012

urgot?

Overlord Peon

07-29-2012

after the chalice rework, i end up usually getting that now and later building it into the unholy grail. I don't see much use for the tear other than for ryze or blitz. Maybe for an AD ezreal into manamune, personally i don't get it on yorick cause i never really need that much mana, the mana crystal in sheen seems good enough.

TheGosroth

07-29-2012

Quote:
Claudialicious:
Amumu

I see what you did there.

MTaur

07-29-2012

Ryze definitely. Karth maybe.

With Grail available, you really have to ask yourself whether a better mp5 solution might be the one that comes with a good chunk of MR. If you ignore mp5 and mana, AAS doesn't become gold-efficient as an AP source until around 3k mana.

If you buy Tear early, you're spending money on something that doesn't help your burst and short-term trading. If you don't need zomg srs mp, then AAS is kind of a waste. If you do, Chalice gets the job done much better than a tear at early levels when you have to most trouble with mana, and it throws in some rather useful MR instead of a questionably useful mana stacking feature and poorer regeneration.

A mana solution that both costs 3k gold and builds from a 900 gold item that's really weak early-game is kind of ew. Sometimes I wonder if maybe it's better (if you're going to build someone like Ryze at all) to take AAS late, and not worrying about Tear early. Waiting to mid-to-late game might cost you, say, 500 mana, or a whopping 15 AP. Compare that with what you would give up to buy an early tear, such as what a Catalyst could've done for you.

Prettyfox

Recruiter

07-29-2012

Pantheon. Ezreal. Blitzcrank.

Keybläder

07-29-2012

I believe aniva kass and swain benefit from it quite well

BlackMystic

07-29-2012

I use to use tear but now I just use chalice