Why TT "turtling" is NOT broken.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Khitty

08-01-2012

So I played a game with this Zan Vorez guy and it's no wonder why he gets stumped by turtles.

He allows them to turtle.

Twice we could have pushed to end the game and he thought it was more important to kill dragon

We ended up winning, but I shouldn't have to tell a lvl 30, when to push and end game.

Hoptastic

08-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldheartedjsp View Post
with this logic losing should be abolished
Wrong, you're assuming that the only way to have fun is to win. I've had a blast in many games that I've ultimately lost.

G0tt

08-01-2012

think about it..why destroying the enemy is bad for you, it has no logic...

Khitty

08-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0tt View Post
think about it..why destroying the enemy is bad for you, it has no logic...
Correction.

If you have so called "destroyed the enemy" then continue to push and "destroy the Nexus"

If there is no inhib, and their Nexus is still standing, you have not "destroyed the enemy"

This has all the logic.

butseps

08-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyBotLane View Post
No game is like this. Chess is not fun for everyone and has been played for centuries.
It's not fun for all people but it's fun at all skill levels. Actually, my understanding is that it's the LEAST fun for grandmasters. Most highly skilled chess players play variants when they want to have fun, or even design their own variants. I hear it gets kind of stale at higher levels, but I don't know the details.

I think the issue with TT inhibitors is that it's really not communicated in any way that destroying an inhibitor can be anything but a good move. It certainly doesn't translate from what players know in SR. It's also not like other forms of over-extension in that it's not easy to see what you did wrong. If you push a lane too hard in SR and get ganked, you learn your lesson and the lane gets pushed back. Misplays and losing CAN be fun, as long as the lesson you are supposed to learn is communicated clearly and you feel like you can react to this lesson right away. The fun part is in figuring out how you were outplayed. With the inhibitors in TT, you're like, "yay I'm about to win" and the game is like "JK it is now almost impossible to win" which doesn't feel good at all. It doesn't feel like your opponent outplaying you so much as an unforced error that the game itself tricked you into making.

It's not broken, but that doesn't mean it isn't a design error. Anti-fun is a real problem that game designers have to be concerned with if they want their game to be played by a lot of people. It's not important for competitive players -- just do what wins. But try to look at these criticisms from a design perspective instead of a player perspective.

Dekar173

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-02-2012

OK, for the sake of competitive play, I will lay out why turtling is a DETRIMENTAL part of 3s.

First off we have to establish something- for competitive play, you need a spectator scene. No one will sponsor you if no one watches you, because at the end of the day, they're giving you money for absolutely nothing in return.

SO, how is turtling detrimental to this? Well, if within the first 15 minutes of a game of TT everything is hectic and fast-paced, people will LOVE it. But, when one team prevails over the other and then the spectators see... one team not leaving their base for 20 minutes at a time, they're going to become impatient. **** watching a game that could have ended in 20 minutes, but ends in 40 due to broken map mechanics (primarily, pulling super minions into the nexus laser). No one, and I repeat, NO ONE, wants to watch that. It is anti-competitive, takes absolutely no skill to pull off, and is BORING. Nothing happening for 20 minutes? K, I'm turning off the stream.

I absolutely love threes, I'm a top player in it, have been for well over a year- but it gets old FAST due to that one mechanic. There are plenty of viable team compositions, with plenty of viable summoner spells, but one mechanic holds true for every single team, and that is the fact that turtling is detrimental to the metagame. If you get pushed early, there's only one viable strategy- pull supers into your nexus until you catch up in farm.

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-02-2012

There is no such thing as turtling unless you let them, even if my team let them we know a counter to it just people do not realize how to do it.