How to greater increase your skill outside of mechanics.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BlGFISH

07-29-2012

I have been wondering this lately. Since the general consensus is that the skill level of a 1200 player and 1400 player is very small as far as mechanics are concerned, once you get pretty much all the mechanics of the game down (which I think I got many of which down), last hitting, harrassing, zoning, jungle timers, warding, map awareness (can always improve on this one). And once you get 1550 (gold) is when the level of skill comes into play.

What really makes the difference between a 1400 and a 1800+. I am not talking like mechanics because that stuff is easy to get a hang off. I just want to know because I personally think I could get 1500 elo if I wanted, but I do get ranked anxiety sometimes, and I do not want to do ranked again until I know I could eventually get a fairly high rating.

All I can really base my skill off of is what I see on streams of people in various elo levels. I see people smurfing in the 1000s 1200s 1400s. And I see the people they play against in 1400-1500s and I think to myself "wow those people are bad", and some of the mistakes they make are very common ones too that I do not make very rarely.

I would just like someone's opinion, I am always looking to improve my game as an indivual and team player. Would like some high level gold and plat players answer hopefully. Although I know the big answer to my question will be to just play ranked. And no, I do not believe in "elo hell".

I also have a friend in the 1500s who says my skill level is greatly higher than that of many of the players on his team if that is anything worth noting.

BlGFISH

07-29-2012

bump for wanting to improve.

S0Stronk

07-29-2012

Im a 1230 right now and have been around this for some time. I have some people I premade with who range between 1400-1600. The one thing that I observe most different between them is not just playing their character, but yours. That is, they know what you can do and expect it (not in a bad way). When I play 1200s players don't seem to understand your champions abilities and potentials and what you can do with them, and they just play their champion. This may not help or it might, but having a good understanding of each champ may help you get up more as its one notable exception I find between the two elo ranges.

Im no expert at this game though. Ive played about 2k pvp games and a bit over 1k wins over 3 accounts. Ive never been high elo even though if I pursued it now I think I could get higher, but I lack the motivation and play another game more often (dayZ). Good luck with working on climbing that elo ladder.

BlGFISH

07-29-2012

Yea I am like you in that I am unmotivated too, unless I know where my skillset could probably take me. But I own 86 if I remember of the 101 champs. And have played them all at least once, except Zyra. But on top of that yes I probably should be more familiar with ult cooldown times, and summoner spell timers.

BlGFISH

07-29-2012

bump

Luxferous

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2012

Actually, I think the difference between a 1200 and 1400, or a 1400 and 1800 still has a lot to do with mechanics.

While most players 'know' the mechanics - e.g. they know what it is, they don't perform well when executing it.
Currently I'm sitting at 1280 elo, with my highest being somewhere around 1400 elo.
I have a RL friend who is 1700+ right now, and we occasionally duo normal or do premade 3's.
He constantly tells me that a lot of my skill with certain champions is just as good, if not better than his allies.

However, I've noticed he is more consistent. If I play my main (Kennen), I usually end up winning my lane and dominate CS. I'm not nearly as good with other champions, and my CS and lane dominance reflects that. On the other hand, give my 1700+ rated friend any champion in the game and he will do much better on average with his CS and such.

A lot of it has to do with knowing the limits of your champion and knowing how it stacks up to the other team. A lot of people can quickly see the little things, like a bunch of AP casters, or a lot of CC. Knowing how to properly handle it - that's something entirely else.

I guess what the main point I'm trying to get to is that they just know how to effectively counter-play.
If my friend and I were to 1v1 and I used Kennen and he used Irelia, he would play differently than if I had used a different character. He knows Kennen and knows his abilities and understands what they do, more-so than your average player.

If I were to use Kennen, he'd stand behind creeps, save his E, and turn it into a passive game until he knew he had the advantage.
On the other hand - If I was playing someone like Teemo, he'd probably be up in my face, spamming me and constantly pressuring me.
Same champion (Irelia) - but two completely different play-styles to go along with it.

djdomestic

07-29-2012

TBH I think the difference is the understanding of how to team fight / counter attack than lane. Most people understand the concept of what to do, but what some don't seem to understand is how to do it as a team. In a word, coordination. Everyone makes mistakes, but it's how you and the rest of your team coordinate vs the opposing team.

Example: What will having an Amumu ult all 5 enemies when there's nobody else around do?

mertatron

07-29-2012

to me it's tactical.
being able to do what is necessary at that time.

if the enemy makes a mistake ... use the opportunity to punish him. At lower lvl, sometimes people jump when they shouldn't or don't jump when they should.
to me that's really a difference, knowing many champs and knowing how to counter them. like if you're good early and your opponent is a late game champ .; don't sit farming ... kill him .. also knowing how and when to harrass.

for exemple .; when I play top .. I usually harrass too much early .. get oom .. and then I can't fight back. And it's annoying coz when I harrass them They heal fast but when they do harrass me I don't heal fast (i'm not a good top though ^^)

and also to me .. you'll improve if u stick on 2 or 3 roles. u can't be good everywhere. To me it's mostly bot or mid .. I'm not a good jungler nor top .. and it's ok with me but I'm good at what I do

Bubbles of HK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2012

I'd say another big difference in the general knowledge of the game category is knowing how to safely push your advantage and snowball. If someone did a trade badly, a higher elo player will know how to capitalize on their opponent's mistake harder by zoning him out more aggressively, or baiting him into a kill burst.

BlGFISH

07-29-2012

bump