Playing Free Cam - How To Break My Locked Cam Habits and Play Like A Pro

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xonu

03-05-2013

So I've recently been trying to play Free Cam, but it's just difficult. I lose track of my champion a lot and I walk into things I don't mean to. It's bad, but I need to learn it. Playing in locked cam (especially on the Purlpe team) I feel is losing me a lot of potential last hits and poke opportunities.

Also, I get so focused on trying to find my champ, I can't keep my map awareness.

iDisaster

03-05-2013

Keep practicing. Just resolve to never, ever, ever, ever use locked cam mode and you'll be fine.

CallMeKiwi

03-05-2013

You can hold space bar to keep the camera on your champ when using free lock.
Personally I play with locked cam, but I've been considering changing to free, does it really make a big difference?

TheUnburned

03-05-2013

Abuse the minimap. Easiest way to move the camera, and it'll help you make sure your champ isn't getting jumped by a 3-man gank while you're checking on Dragon.

HonorableGeneral

03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeKiwi View Post
You can hold space bar to keep the camera on your champ when using free lock.
Personally I play with locked cam, but I've been considering changing to free, does it really make a big difference?
Free cam lets you monitor where you're going, allowing you to take advantage of vision ahead of your champion (whether it be other champions or wards) and see enemies you might otherwise miss just checking the minimap (since their portraits appear and disappear so fast if they accidentally come into LOS and then run away again).

AsphodelNext

03-05-2013

Playing as purple side is much more difficult with locked cam, at least during laning phase, as the bar at the bottom of the screen cuts off much of your vision. I found myself unable to play bot lane ADC's as purple team when I used to lock cam because I couldn't see that crucial edge of my range I needed to.

420 LOL 69

03-06-2013

Yeah just keep practicing. You'll get used to it a lot quicker than you think. The trick to finding your champ is in the spacebar.

Fifth Scheme

03-06-2013

You really need to work on your peripheral vision and tracking if you really don't know where your character is in free-cam. I'd suggest playing games on Luminosity or other brain training programs that develop this skill. God forbid you drive a car.

With time it'll become second nature to know where your character is no matter where you are clicking and paying attention to enemy movements, their minion health, your minion health, ward placement, ward timers, objective timers, the whereabouts of champions in other lanes that are not your own, enemy jungler movement, your own jungler movement, enemy ability cooldowns, your own and enemy levels, etc... That's the game. Juggling a million things. I don't know how you can see anything in locked camera, but I'd bet it has a lot to do with your lack of ability to track.

FABIOForever

03-06-2013

They really need to change the 'Y' key from "lock camera centered on champion" to "lock camera relative to champion's current position". So if your champion is in the bottom left of the screen when you hit 'Y', they will continue to be there no matter where they move. The current locked camera is useful for keeping track of your immediate vicinity in team fights but the vision range is terrible.

Qsario

03-06-2013

You can always mix them. For example, there's no reason you can't have it locked while CSing in lane, but unlock it to peek around the map when you need to.

Some of the purple issues can be alleviated by shrinking your HUD scale down in the options, so that the giant HP bars don't block the entire bottom side of your screen.