Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Tristana, bringer of much pain

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shizz

Recruiter

11-11-2009

Quote:
Apokalupsis:
Never tried Trist before this guide. Followed to the T, was 2nd best killer on the map. Only died due to a noob mistake, not due to the build itself.

Going to play around w/ this build/champ for a while I think...it's more fun than I had thought it would be.

Thank you for a well though out, thorough guide. Seems to work very well w/ my play style.

She just got some nice buffs. I'm going to try her again also.

Fallen 62

11-11-2009

Quote:
Shizz:
She just got some nice buffs. I'm going to try her again also.

I'm really excited to play her now too... Should make her a lot more fun and viable to play

Mortenya

11-11-2009

Quote:
SuperFantastic:
...NEVER GET TRINITY FORCE ON RANGED HEROS...

I don't know about that... I get it almost every time on corki and think it's an awesome item for him. Especially since I use abilities with some regularity.

Merovinge

11-11-2009

Trinity is amazing on corki, I cant imagine a build without it.

Trist im a bit more Meh on, she cant proc the suped up Sheen that often. I would think the IE would work better, but I have only played AP trist.

Mortenya

11-12-2009

I totally agree that trinity wouldn't be very good on trist, but i don't like someone saying to never get it on a ranged hero. thats just bad advice. U MAD?

Wicked Trident

11-19-2009

wonderful guide just used trist for the first time and used this guide was 8-6-6 and was only killed cuz they had to focus me for a long time cuz of all the early kills i was getting lol

~cheers

Cyatomorrow

11-19-2009

Trinity Force is a very poor choice. Before you pick up a Trinity Force, you need to decide, is every component good for you?

Phage is great, Tris has the attack speed needed to chain proc it. Zeal is good on anyone...

Sheen is completely wasted. Tris is an ranged, attack speed character, so her base damage is very poor, limiting the benefit of the Sheen proc... which incidentally, you won't be seeing proc very often, because Tris doesn't have any spammable skills.

My opinion: Skip the Triforce, just Phage or Frozen Mallet is better and more efficient.
Go Black Cleaver because your attack speed allows you to stack it up quickly: You will see noticeable increases the more you shoot at an opponent. Infinity Edge (or Last Whisper if there's a big tank) can come after, this should usually seal the deal.

Finally, start the game with a Vampire Scepter: It'll help you immensely late game when you need Lizard buff, and it's enough to keep you alive early game.

Zephyria

Recruiter

12-12-2009

Just recently did this four games in a row. 23/0/3 | 20/2/33 | 20/5/15 | 25/2/13...

That first game was fast. I was the only one that hit 18. It was nuts... Didn't even finish my phantom dancer before it was over... Bad enemy team.

---

That second game was LOOOONG, and they shut me down around the end, so I took to creeping the lanes and the jungles for my last whisper (I'd been having to keep oracles stocked three times, as well as agility pots, and I am a big fan of elixirs)... Didn't take long, then I rolled up in their base and laid all five of them out, then tore through their last towers like paper, and we took the win. Pretty good opposition, spent a lot of time avoiding, but it was fairly one-sided in our favor... Stupid yi stealing all my kills! -shakes fist-

---

The third game was pretty short, but full of action. We all hit 18, but barely. Again I didn't finish my phantom dancer because I was having to get oracles, but in this case it was okay. I just grabbed a bfsword and we drove hard into the heart of their base like a bunch of bros.

---

The last game was actually the most fun, really. I decided to solo this one, and got ganked by all five at the start of the match... I was pissed, but I blew my teleport to get back in the lane. They did the same, apparently, because the subsequent kills in the top and bottom met with long waits for them to get back to their lane. The soloing went off without a hitch from here, with me killing teemo thrice thanks to leading him into ashe's arrows. That was a GREAT ashe, and she didn't have to solo to be such. I flew above everyone in levels by leaping into the life stealing creeps when I pushed to their tower or when they pushed to mine.

I found the key to this trist is to let your opponent push a bit when you're soloing midgame. It makes them feel a bit safer, so fewer attempts come your way at a gank, and it gets them nice and close to your tower to get tossed into it. Speaking of ganks! The attempts to gank me were mostly from gankplanks and loldameres, so I got quite a couple scares but I usually managed to squeek out a kill on someone in the chaos. They finally decided that it was bogus that my towers hadn't been pushed yet and ganged up on me... This is where it got fun. I grabbed nunu and we headed south while ashe and co. tried to hold middle from their onslaught. Nunu and I handled the towers on bottom, and got the hell out of dodge when they turned to join us. We repeated the process with the top, and waited for some heroes to show up... We got a couple kills on the stupid ones who thought they could pull us into the incoming backup, then hit middle as fast as we could. Full push to the inhibitor turrets in all lanes, one down in both of our outer lanes.

From here, things got into full swing with some crazy team battles. I found myself getting most of the KBs and getting most of the creeps, so I pulled out to go kill the dragon and get a few buffs, and we pushed the lanes back away from our towers. When the enemy regrouped, they came on our middle pretty hard. They got into our base before we could even react, my fault because I was supposed to be watching the middle... but the ace that followed from a very well executed ambush made it all worthwhile. We pushed in for the win at this point, and got quite a few kills as we cleared inhibitors. Good match.

---

All in all, a very good build. If you follow this guide to a T, you'll be a credit to your team if you're moderately conscious of what's going on around you, aren't afraid to use your rocket jumps for ESCAPES and not just kills, and have a partially competent team. If you want to carry your team, be cho'gath or yi, because while I did at one point kill their whole team by myself... I was well fed, and they had long since stopped caring about teamwork.

Basilisk9466

12-12-2009

Interesting, not too different from my build in concept, but very different in execution. Originally I went for something similar (typically Black Cleaver, Last Whisper, Phantom Dancer or some such...) but an encounter with a really horrifying Yi made me rethink.

Skill build is pretty much the same, but I always max out explosive shot first. Since the boost that the passive doesn't get turned off during cooldown, it makes an excellent harrassment tool, whether by exploding minions next to your opponent or throwing the debuff on them. Rapid fire I usually leave to the end, not because it's a poor skill, but because to begin with it isn't as good. Since I almost always solo, and am often against a squishy like Ashe or (ugh) Teemo, 100+ DoT is rather significant. Of course, it becomes pretty useless except for the passive lategame.

However, for items, it's all about the lifesteal. Trist isn't exactly tough, and a nice bit of lifesteal makes all the difference. It's an expensive build, and not one I stick to religiously (might go Banshees if there's a lot of casters or something) but the fact that you can go from nearly dead to full health in a few seconds is insane.

Rejuvenation Bead
Rejuvenation Bead -> Emblem of Valour
Berserker's Greaves
Malady
Bloodthirster

That forms the core. After that, Executioner's Calling, Stark's or even additional Bloodthirsters are all options. There was one game where I actually managed to feed enough for triple BTs...

The DPS and lifesteal is horrifying - I've gone toe-to-toe with supposedly melee DPS champions face to face and won, and not even focus fire is sure to take you out so long as you keep attacking and spamming Rapid Fire.

Why those four? Emblem of Valour starts off your lifesteal, builds in Starks, and provides some basic health regen. Zerkers is a bit of a no-brainer. Malady is mainly for the attack speed - 50% is rather nice, and with Stark's, Zerkers and Rapid Fire more or less maxes you out, so you can focus on actual damage items. Bloodthirster gives that in spades, and especially late game where you'll wipe out creep waves in seconds, maxing it out is a piece of cake. When you consider that maxed out, it has the highest damage of any item...

Flash is essential for Trist, as it makes her basically uncatchable when combined with Rocket Jump. I've lost count of the number of times firing off those two has got me out of a gank. Even if there are no convenient walls to jump over, it covers a lot of distance to get you back to a tower.

Sacklunch

12-17-2009

Quote:
Fallen 62:
Your W also has a guaranteed slow, so why get a Mallet?

I know I'm still in the lowbie ranks but using the Mallet helped me go 14/1/10 last game. Sure Rocket Jump slows but the Mallet is your insurance policy. I personally save W for a Buster Shot and slow the **** out of them with the Mallet. Almost always a kill or at least an assist when timed right. Rocket Jump is too useful as an escape or a setup to use as a random slow IMO.

Also, in future guides I'd recommend just typing out the ability name each time. For newer players it's easier to read your post when they don't have to scroll back up to see what E and Q refer to.