Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Tristana, bringer of much pain

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fallen 62

11-09-2009

Tristana is a great DPS character with extended range. She can deal a hell of a lot of damage as long as you build her right *Disclaimer* This build is quite squishy and kinda does a high risk/high reward strategy. Play a few practice games first to get the feel of how squishy she is and when to run and when to fight.

Skills

Q – Rapid Fire (increases Trist’s attack speed for 7 seconds) I tend to wait on this skill a little bit, working on both W and E first.

W – Rocket Jump (jump to target spot, dealing AoE dmg and slowing things around you) This is your bread and butter skill. It works well as a slow on champs, has some AoE dmg for early game farming, and also proves to be a useful escape tool if need be.

E – Explosive Shot (Active: deals 25 dmg +AP per second, Passive: while it’s ready to cast, and you kill an enemy (works on minions, champs, towers, inhibs, etc) it explodes to do AoE dmg to nearby enemies) This is one of your better farming skills and may allow you to get a kill early game if you use it as an active skill on a low-health champ.

R – Buster Shot (deal a lot of damage, knocking back units around the target a long way) This skill has several uses: knocking enemies away from a teammate in distress, getting that final blow in on a low health champ, knocking an enemy champ into your turret, knocking them closer to your team, etc. It’s quite useful but needs to be used right. Explanations below.

Leveling breakdown

1) E (Explosive Shot)
2) W (Rocket Jump)
3) Q (Rapid Fire)
4) Q
5) Q
6) R
7) Q
8) W
9) Q* (maxed if you can put a point in at lvl 5)
10) W
11) R
12) W
13) W (max)
14) E
15) E
16) R (max)
17) E
18) E (max)

* I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can still put a point into Q at level 5. If you can't, put a point into W and go from there. Basically, max Q,R,W,E in that priority.

Skill Strategy

Early Game
One of the main things you want to be concerned about early game is farming gold. Get your Q (Rapid Fire) skill up early and add 1 point into both E (Explosive Shot) and W (Rocket Jump) to help you with that and make sure to get a lot of last hits, ensuring gold and more damage to other minions from your E skill. If you can Rocket Jump onto an enemy and slow them while you and your lane mate (if you have one) whittle down their health, go for it. Just make sure that you aren’t putting yourself in too much danger and get yourself killed. A timely shot with your E skill can go a long way for an early game kill.

Once you hit level 6, level your ultimate (R) and get ready to blast someone back into one of your tower. The best way to get behind someone to do it is to Rocket Jump (W) behind them, then use Buster Shot (R) to knock them back to the tower. If you want to, throw in an E for good measure You should also have a high-ish level of Rapid Fire (Q) so that you can take down towers a little more effectively and efficiently.

Mid Game
You can do one of two things: push turrets or roam with your team and gank. You may be able to pull of some soloing and be an effective jungler, but I haven’t done that with Trist yet, so I’m not going to give advice on that at this point. Basically, stick with another teammate and push towers, joining in on ganks whenever you can. Use your Q when you push towers, allowing for more damage in a short amount of time. Take out as many mobs as you can with W and E (have your E ready to cast but don’t cast it so you get splash damage in mobs). The W E R combo still works quite well and can help your gank squad to get a kill if you blow the enemy back to your team with your R. Use Q in bigger team fights to get more damage in your target.

Late Game
This is where you really shine. You should have a lot of IAS and Critical and should be building up your damage and IAS even more. Your R will knock people really far back, so be careful how you use it. Make sure that it will kill someone if you use it to knock someone away from your team. There’s nothing more frustrating than letting someone get away with a sliver of health because you shot them the wrong way by mistake. By now you should be able to travel fairly safely by your own, switching from lane to lane to help push or gank. Don’t get too caught up in ganking and make sure you are pushing fairly frequently. Using Q while attacking a tower gives you a huge boost to speed and DPS, so be sure to use it

All Game
Make good use of your W spell. As said above, jump behind an enemy and knock them back to a turret/ally with your R skill. Slow a crowd of minions/champs and make them easier to pick off. Most people don’t realize but Rocket Jump is also a mini Flash, allowing you to jump out of harms way. Just be sure you know where you’re jumping to, then run like hell *Note: I’ve found that Rocket Jump can sometimes not activate, or you can be killed while you are in the air with it, so be sure to use it before you are in too deep.

Items
Vamp Scepter
Zeal
Boots
Boots->Zerk Boots
Phage
Phage->Frozen Mallet
Zeal->Phantom Dancer
(At this point you have 3 options with your Scepter. Read below for those and what to do)
BF Sword
Pickaxe
BF Sword + Pickaxe -> IE
Last item depends on the team you're facing, but most likely go Recurve Bow, then either Wit's End, Last Whisper, or Bloodrazor. Or you can get another Zeal and do another Phantom.

Item Strategy
Start out the game with a Vampiric Scepter. This will give you some decent life leeching. Buy healing pots as needed.

The first item after the Scepter should be Boots. Buy the regular boots first, then upgrade to Berserker’s Greaves ASAP. Following the Greaves, buy a Ruby Crystal for extra life, and upgrade to Phage. Buy a Giant's Belt, then upgrade the Phage and Belt to Frozen Mallet.

After you have your Frozen Mallet, pick up a Zeal (I usually get a Dagger first for extra IAS). Following that, buy a Cloak of Agility, and upgrade those to a Phantom Dancer. The more crit, attack speed, and movement speed you have, the better.

Here you have 3 options... Buy a BF Sword and combine the Scepter and Sword into a Bloodthirster, build the Scepter into an Emblem of Valor, buy a Recurve Bow, then upgrade those to a Starks Fervor, or Buy some Brawler's Gloves, then upgrade the Scepter and Gloves into an Executioner's Calling. Personally, I like Starks the best, especially if your team doesn't already have one. Even if they do, that aura will stack with yours, so it may not be a bad idea to always build Starks. Just giving some options

Now, you have IAS and Crit, but not so much damage. Buy a Pickaxe/B.F. Sword, then buy the other, and upgrade those to an Infinity Edge. This will give you a big damage boost and a boost to your critical damage as well. At this point, you should only have 1 item slot left.

The last slot is hardly ever built as games are usually over by then, but if you get to this point, buy a Recurve Bow, then you can build one of a few things: Madred's Bloodrazor, Wit's End or Last Whisper. Each one has their merits and potentially drawbacks. Build a Wit's End if you are facing a heavy magic-using team, Last Whisper if people have a lot of armor, Bloodrazor if the enemies have a lot of health. You need to make the choice from here

Depending how things go during the game, I may build my Vamp Scepter into something more quite early (usually Starks). I tend to go IAS over other stats, but Crit will do the job too. I find that a mix of both works the best, throwing in some damage items every now and then

Summoner Skills

This is a topic that is hard for me because there are many good skills to choose from. I like to take Teleport and either Flash, Fortify, Ghost or Exhaust. I like Teleport because it gives you some more map control and ability to help out in a pinch or just get back in the action quicker. Flash, Fortify, Ghost and Exhaust all have their pros and cons, but I tend to take Exhaust more often.

Masteries
*Other options are listed after in ( )

Offense
3 Deadlieness
1 Cripple
4 Alacrity
3 Sunder
2 Offensive Mastery
3 Brute Force
3 Lethality
1 Demolisher
1 Havoc

Defense

Utility
3 Perserverence
1 Spatial Acuity (Improved Ghost or Good Hands)
4 Awareness
1 Greed (Utility Mastery)

Runes
Crit Damage and Increased Attack Speed are what I use.

Everything Else
I know it this build quite well, especially if you can get at least 1 early game kill. I haven’t solo’ed a lane with her, but she should do pretty well solo too. I’m looking forward to any comments and/or suggestions anyone has. Thanks for reading! BTW, I spec'ed her out on leaguecraft.com if someone wants a look: http://www.leaguecraft.com/builder/Tristana/6c304f9625b06174ca2e6a93c7784f4d. The items are in no particular order, and I built it with a Starks and Last Whisper, but feel free to experiment

Bait

Recruiter

11-09-2009

id leave e at level 1. items are okay (any attack items will work okay) but not the most well thought out.

Fallen 62

11-09-2009

Quote:
Bait:
id leave e at level 1. items are okay (any attack items will work okay) but not the most well thought out.

Mmmmmkay... Can you explain why leave E at level one? And would you level Q in it's place? And what items would you suggest...? Trust me, these are quite thought out, tried, and tested. I've found this works quite well. You're a bit squishy, but with your increased range and stuff you shouldn't need to have 3k+ health...

Fannypak

11-09-2009

The problem with this item build is that it really doesnt do damage until late, late game. Even then, its not stellar damage. Not to mention your item builds hits the attack speed cap.

3 40% attack speed items + Rapid Fire level 5 is the cap (210%), anything over that is ignored and wasted money.

Also, Trinity force is wasted money on Tristana. Sure, she can apply the slow quite often, however she wont be getting the base power increase all that often. The money could be spent getting IE much earlier in the game. After IE, I tend to go for Cleaver/Thirster. Im not a big fan of passing up damage for crit chance because you wont be pumping out adequate damage to be a threat.

Fallen 62

11-09-2009

Quote:
Alanspectro:
The problem with this item build is that it really doesnt do damage until late, late game. Even then, its not stellar damage. Not to mention your item builds hits the attack speed cap.

3 40% attack speed items + Rapid Fire level 5 is the cap (210%), anything over that is ignored and wasted money.

Also, Trinity force is wasted money on Tristana. Sure, she can apply the slow quite often, however she wont be getting the base power increase all that often. The money could be spent getting IE much earlier in the game. After IE, I tend to go for Cleaver/Thirster. Im not a big fan of passing up damage for crit chance because you wont be pumping out adequate damage to be a threat.

If you're not using rapid fire you're going to want more IAS anyway... And more dmg isn't always the answer. If you have a higher attack speed and higher chance to crit but lower damage, you could apply just as much if not more damage than a lower attack speed, lower crit chance and higher damage. It's a toss up IMHO, and I prefer to go the Crit/IAS way with less damage to start the game. If you attack at 2.5 times/sec, critting 90% of the time at 100 dmg a hit, you're going to do roughly 250-500 damage/sec (worst case-best case), with the average probably about 350 dmg/sec. If you attack at 1.5 times/sec, critting 50% of the time at 150 dmg, you're looking at 225-400 dmg/sec (worst case-best case).

I'm pulling numbers out of the air a bit, but they aren't unreal or unreasonable. I'd go with more IAS/Crit Chance and less damage over less IAS/crit chance and more damage any day of the week.

Also, I go Trinity force for the added life/mana, slow chance, IAS, crit, etc. The AP isn't really needed (but can help some), but the rest of the stuff I feel makes it worth it.

AnotherFallenEve

11-09-2009

i just played a game with this build and went 8-1-15. I really enjoyed it and am a fan of fast attack speed and crit chance as opposed to flat damage. I also liked trinity force for more mana ms and health it helped me survive much easier especially once i got phantom dancer. i could move in and out of battle real quick when the other peoples kept trying to focus me while my team took care of the rest. So yeah this tristana guide would have gotten 2 thumbs up if your name wasn't fallen 62.

Fallen 62

11-09-2009

Quote:
AnotherFallenEve:
So yeah this tristana guide would have gotten 2 thumbs up if your name wasn't fallen 62.

D'oh!

Anyway, I tried what Alanspectro said, building an IE and not Trinity, and it didn't work quite as well. The IAS is what really helps you do damage, and without it, you just don't deal the same amount of damage in the same amount of time. IMHO, the build I have listed is one of the better options. IAS/Crit Chance will have your base damage lower, but you will be dealing a lot more damage per second that way.

edit: If you had enough IAS and were satisfied with your DPS, build a Warmogs last. With your farming ability from your E, you gain a lot of health fast.

SuperFantastic

11-09-2009

It is much better to get one level of rocket jump for escape'/chase and leveling your Q/E abilities first, plus you should never get Doran's Blade, its just a bad item instead get health regen and turn it into an philosiphers stone. your Q move is amazing for punishing towers and jumping in on team fights. Also NEVER GET TRINITY FORCE ON RANGED HEROS get Phage instead its not worth a million gold for something that doesnt define the role of your class, it is far better to get a guaranteed snare on each hit than a chance to snare, plus the hp on Phage is amazing for the usually squishy ranged heros.

Fallen 62

11-09-2009

Quote:
SuperFantastic:
It is much better to get one level of rocket jump for escape'/chase and leveling your Q/E abilities first, plus you should never get Doran's Blade, its just a bad item instead get health regen and turn it into an philosiphers stone. your Q move is amazing for punishing towers and jumping in on team fights. Also NEVER GET TRINITY FORCE ON RANGED HEROS get Phage instead its not worth a million gold for something that doesnt define the role of your class, it is far better to get a guaranteed snare on each hit than a chance to snare, plus the hp on Phage is amazing for the usually squishy ranged heros.

FYI, Phage is in Trinity Force. I think you're talking about Frozen Mallet... And Trinity gives IAS, Crit Chance, Damage, Health, Chance to slow... How is that not helpful for a DPS character? Your W also has a guaranteed slow, so why get a Mallet? And I level W for the initial hit in damage and for farming. Even with Q at level one it's quite a speed boost at low levels, and when I suggest to level it again, it's to top off the IAS cap and deal major DPS.

I'll try leveling Q and E first, but I'm not sure what that's going to do for you. I've played Trist quite a bit, and I've tried almost everything that has been suggested so far, and I am still sticking by what I said in the OP. But I will try different skills and see how that works...

Apokalupsis

11-11-2009

Never tried Trist before this guide. Followed to the T, was 2nd best killer on the map. Only died due to a noob mistake, not due to the build itself.

Going to play around w/ this build/champ for a while I think...it's more fun than I had thought it would be.

Thank you for a well though out, thorough guide. Seems to work very well w/ my play style.