@Riot, skill level.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TalLavi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-28-2012

I dont know how many people noticed but the new champions Riot released (Draven, Jayce, Zyra and now Diana) have a higher skill cap then older releases.

I just wanted to thank Riot for starting to give the community a little credit in our ability to understand complex champions and I really hope you will keep going and set the bar higher on high level champions.

I am not saying Riot needs to release super complex champions, a good champion (IMO) should be easy to play / understand but hard to master.

So thanks for the releases Riot, can you tell us if there are more high skill level champions in the making?

Crucefix

07-28-2012

Darius

Pldl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucefix View Post
Darius
That's before all the champs he just listed.

You also need skill to um... avoid being kited.

TalLavi

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucefix View Post
Darius
See

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalLavi View Post
I dont know how many people noticed but the new champions Riot released (Draven, Jayce, Zyra and now Diana) have a higher skill cap then older releases.

lol I died again

07-28-2012

New Eve requires no skill whatsoever.

TalLavi

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol I died again View Post
New Eve requires no skill whatsoever.
I am not saying all the champs they released are all high level in a row, but they released 4 champs who require a certain amount of skill to master in the last what, 2 months?

I am not saying that from now on all champs must be high skill level, but I like the direction Riot is going and hope they keep releasing "harder" champs along side the more noob friendly champs.

warmblooded20

07-28-2012

i don't think they really have all that high a skill cap

TalLavi

07-28-2012

@warmblooded20, I am not saying they have exceptionally high skill cap, just higher then the average champ or the older releases (Sejuani, Volibear, Shyvana and so on)

warmblooded20

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalLavi View Post
@warmblooded20, I am not saying they have exceptionally high skill cap, just higher then the average champ or the older releases (Sejuani, Volibear, Shyvana and so on)
i don't think so really. jayce's playstyle is really straightforward, he just requires you to press a few more buttons. it's not really all that much more skill intensive. i don't really know draven or zyra really well though

Zileas

VP of Game Design

07-28-2012
1 of 2 Riot Posts

We have always tried to maintain the dual goals of clear to play, but extremely difficult to master -- much like other great competitive games like Starcraft, CS, Chess, etc.

We've been focusing longer iteration cycles to optimize potential mastery paths on abilities and ability combinations, and I too am happy with the results. We are also benefiting from a gradual increase in our own experience of what works and doesn't within LoL. Some of the benefits are coming from substantially improved play balance, which allows for some of this stuff to come out more effectively. Glad you are enjoying it.

The releases this year are consistent with our strategy for this year. You should see similar realizations of this goal over the next 6 months. We also have some more systemic changes we are considering that you will also like.