Evilcookiemnstr's Guide to Avoiding Noob Mistakes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Evilcookiemnstr

11-09-2009

I couldn't seem to get it to let me just paste it here so i attached the document so without further ado heres my guide of simple tips that ive learned over my course of playing dota and LoL i hope they help!

Evilcookiemnstr’s Simple Tips to
Avoiding Noob Mistakes
1. Teleport is your friend, while you’re sitting in battle and you get low and have a lot of money you can recall back, regen and buy, and then teleport back up. This can save you almost an entire level of exp early and can just save you a lot of time later.
2. Early on, potions rock face, after buying your initial item spend the rest of your cash on health potions they will keep you in your lane longer and will keep you up to date on exp.
3. Mana potions blow, they cost too much for what they actually do, don’t buy them.
4. Leveling a spell to higher levels is almost always a better idea than getting more than 2 spells, pick 2 spells and level them up before getting your third making exceptions only for your ultimate.
5. The two exceptions to rule number 4, always get your ultimate and if your hero has a slow or a stun get 1 and I repeat ONE level of the stun/slow for hunting and escapes.
6. Choose your 2 spells that you are going to level up according to this, get 1 powerhouse aggressive ability such as does (crapton) damage or a farm ability such as (can instant kill creeps or gives mana back when it gets the killing blow) for your first spell and for your second spell get a defensive escape type ability such as, increases movement speed, makes you invulnerable, spell shield, stun lock, short distance teleport, heal, armor increase, silence, etc.
7. If you aren’t sure how to build your hero or no one is giving any suggestions go with the recommended items, the devs did a good job on them and you will be at least balanced.
8. If you are laning by yourself against two heroes and they are pushing you hard don’t be afraid to tower hug, sit at that tower and hit creeps when you have the chance, eventually you will out level them and be able to kill them both.
9. Don’t ever chase, it leads to traps and your definite demise.
10. Avoid talking at all costs, it slows you down and distracts you.
11. The one exception to 10, ALWAYS CALL MIA (Missing in Action) your team will love you and it will save many peoples lives.
12. Don’t be an idiot, don’t run into obvious traps and don’t let creeps or towers beat the **** out of you.
13. Towers hit the creep nearest to them and will always hit a creep before targeting you, however as soon as you do damage to a hero that tower will be on you like glue until you leave it’s range. You can tell its target from the purple line and remember, on champions towers increase in damage 25% each time they hit you consecutively capping out at 200% damage.
14. Towers are much nastier when there are no creeps around, they get a huge damage boost and their armor jumps to a massive 360, backdooring is recommended by devs, but make sure you can handle it before you try.
15. When creeps are attacking the enemy tower and no heroes are around, hit the tower it won’t attack you until all of the surrounding creeps are dead.
16. The minimap is your friend, every once in a while give it a quick glance to see where enemy champions are they are signaled by a giant red circle with their face in it.
17. If all the enemy champions are no where to be found, play it safe stay by a tower they are probably going to try and gank you.
18. Think of the game like a point system, Towers are worth 2 points champions are worth 1 point inhibitors are worth 3 points the main building is worth 4 and creeps are worth 0, never sacrifice your life for a hero kill or a creep kill and avoid sacrificing it for a tower kill if possible.
19. Avoid fighting heroes by yourself, it’s a team game make use of it.
20. Listen to your teammates, most of them won’t try to screw you over they are probably trying to help you.
21. Until you are secure in your abilities to survive, always have heal socketed it saves lives more times than I can count, even on good players it saves lives.
22. Don’t flame or talk trash, it hurts your reputation and your ability to gain advice and it takes away from your attention on the game, its just not worth the cost.
23. Try to play every champion at least once, it allows you to know the skills of each champion so you can better know what your up against and what your team can do.
24. Assists may not be as pretty as kills but they are just as helpful to winning the game.
25. Score means nothing if you lose. Play as a team, not a showoff.
26. Tall Grass is your friend, it eliminates the aggression of creeps and ruins enemy hero targeting. But remember, aoe and non targeted skills can still hit you and they can see you if they are in the grass too or if you attack them.
27. Don’t go afk, it will get you killed and your team will be ticked off.
28. Learn who on your team you can trust to help you and who on your team you can’t. Relying on someone who isn’t reliable will just get you killed.
29. People suck, don’t flame at them when they are worse than you, try to help them, if they are a jerk back, don’t flame at them just leave them alone and play your game, but don’t ditch them in a fight and let them die.
30. Leavers suck, but remember it’s a game, don’t lose your temper and always put real life first.
31. Call for help when you need it, a fed champion can screw a whole team over.
Terms You Should Know
MIA – Missing in Action, it means a champion or both champions from a lane are gone from sight and no one knows where they are.
Gank – When multiple players come from a hiding spot and use everything in their arsenal to kill 1 or 2 players by surprise.
Backdoor – To sneak past all the creeps and champions to kill a building by yourself, people call this cheating but if you read the forums the devs want us to do it, yes it is kinda cheesy, but who cares if they want us to do it then we might as well do what it takes to win.
Stealther – a champion who can cast a spell to make them disappear from sight
Tank – a champion who can take a massive beating from people and still be alive to tell the tale
DPSer – Damage Per Second er, these are the champions that can lay a hero out flat in no time because their damage is so high.
Squishy – easily killable
Champion or hero – a player character, the thing you and other people control
Pet – Annies bear or Shacos illusion, any play controlled nonchampion creature
Trap – when people drag you into a gank or a literal trap like teemos mushrooms and shacos jack in the boxes
Mark – The big circle over a player or buildings head, it means attack this first
Stun – an ability that incapacitates something for X seconds
Ulty or ultimate – the spell each hero acquires at level 6 11 and 16
Spell or ability – the little buttons you can click on your hero that do things
Hotkey – the button on your keyboard that a spell is linked to, for this game QWERFD
Tele – simply means to teleport
Creep – the little guys that charge each lane and duke it out
Super Creep – the big guys that spawn from killing inhibitors
Inhib – inhibitors
Push – to kill creeps in a lane keeping your own alive so that you build and army and quickly clear out buildings in an effort to kill the inhibitor
Ally – people on your team
Enemy – people on the other team
Baron – The big red Jolly Rodgers on the map that gives your whole team a big buff
Buff – an ability on your hero that increases his stats
Debuff – an ability on your hero that decreases his stats
Neutral Creeps – Creeps in the jungles that give exp but don’t aid in the jungle
Ace – when the last player of a team dies, this signals to push like crazy for the win
Fountain – the thing you initially spawn at, it heals and regenerates your health and mana
Jungling – When a player is running through the woods killing neutral creeps

Naturalist

11-09-2009

Doesn't work

Evilcookiemnstr

11-09-2009

there we go now it works i converted it from word to notepad sorry about that.

ectoplasma

11-09-2009

wall of text beat me

Diøs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-09-2009

dude put some space in there, i can't read it...

do it like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilcookiemnstr View Post
1. Teleport is your friend, while you’re sitting in battle and you get low and have a lot of money you can recall back, regen and buy, and then teleport back up. This can save you almost an entire level of exp early and can just save you a lot of time later.

2. Early on, potions rock face, after buying your initial item spend the rest of your cash on health potions they will keep you in your lane longer and will keep you up to date on exp.

3. Mana potions blow, they cost too much for what they actually do, don’t buy them.

4. Leveling a spell to higher levels is almost always a better idea than getting more than 2 spells, pick 2 spells and level them up before getting your third making exceptions only for your ultimate.

5. The two exceptions to rule number 4, always get your ultimate and if your hero has a slow or a stun get 1 and I repeat ONE level of the stun/slow for hunting and escapes.

6. Choose your 2 spells that you are going to level up according to this, get 1 powerhouse aggressive ability such as does (crapton) damage or a farm ability such as (can instant kill creeps or gives mana back when it gets the killing blow) for your first spell and for your second spell get a defensive escape type ability such as, increases movement speed, makes you invulnerable, spell shield, stun lock, short distance teleport, heal, armor increase, silence, etc.

7. If you aren’t sure how to build your hero or no one is giving any suggestions go with the recommended items, the devs did a good job on them and you will be at least balanced.

8. If you are laning by yourself against two heroes and they are pushing you hard don’t be afraid to tower hug, sit at that tower and hit creeps when you have the chance, eventually you will out level them and be able to kill them both.

10. Avoid talking at all costs, it slows you down and distracts you.

11. The one exception to 10, ALWAYS CALL MIA (Missing in Action) your team will love you and it will save many peoples lives.

12. Don’t be an idiot, don’t run into obvious traps and don’t let creeps or towers beat the **** out of you.

13. Towers hit the creep nearest to them and will always hit a creep before targeting you, however as soon as you do damage to a hero that tower will be on you like glue until you leave it’s range. You can tell its target from the purple line and remember, on champions towers increase in damage 25% each time they hit you consecutively capping out at 200% damage.

14. Towers are much nastier when there are no creeps around, they get a huge damage boost and their armor jumps to a massive 360, backdooring is recommended by devs, but make sure you can handle it before you try.

15. When creeps are attacking the enemy tower and no heroes are around, hit the tower it won’t attack you until all of the surrounding creeps are dead.

16. The minimap is your friend, every once in a while give it a quick glance to see where enemy champions are they are signaled by a giant red circle with their face in it.

17. If all the enemy champions are no where to be found, play it safe stay by a tower they are probably going to try and gank you.

18. Think of the game like a point system, Towers are worth 2 points champions are worth 1 point inhibitors are worth 3 points the main building is worth 4 and creeps are worth 0, never sacrifice your life for a hero kill or a creep kill and avoid sacrificing it for a tower kill if possible.

19. Avoid fighting heroes by yourself, it’s a team game make use of it.

20. Listen to your teammates, most of them won’t try to screw you over they are probably trying to help you.

21. Until you are secure in your abilities to survive, always have heal socketed it saves lives more times than I can count, even on good players it saves lives.

22. Don’t flame or talk trash, it hurts your reputation and your ability to gain advice and it takes away from your attention on the game, its just not worth the cost.

23. Try to play every champion at least once, it allows you to know the skills of each champion so you can better know what your up against and what your team can do.

24. Assists may not be as pretty as kills but they are just as helpful to winning the game.

25. Score means nothing if you lose. Play as a team, not a showoff.

26. Tall Grass is your friend, it eliminates the aggression of creeps and ruins enemy hero targeting. But remember, aoe and non targeted skills can still hit you and they can see you if they are in the grass too or if you attack them.

27. Don’t go afk, it will get you killed and your team will be ticked off.

28. Learn who on your team you can trust to help you and who on your team you can’t. Relying on someone who isn’t reliable will just get you killed.

29. People suck, don’t flame at them when they are worse than you, try to help them, if they are a jerk back, don’t flame at them just leave them alone and play your game, but don’t ditch them in a fight and let them die.

30. Leavers suck, but remember it’s a game, don’t lose your temper and always put real life first.

31. Call for help when you need it, a fed champion can screw a whole team over.
Terms You Should Know

MIA – Missing in Action, it means a champion or both champions from a lane are gone from sight and no one knows where they are.

Gank – When multiple players come from a hiding spot and use everything in their arsenal to kill 1 or 2 players by surprise.

Backdoor – To sneak past all the creeps and champions to kill a building by yourself, people call this cheating but if you read the forums the devs want us to do it, yes it is kinda cheesy, but who cares if they want us to do it then we might as well do what it takes to win.

Tank – a champion who can take a massive beating from people and still be alive to tell the tale

DPSer – Damage Per Second er, these are the champions that can lay a hero out flat in no time because their damage is so high.

Champion or hero – a player character, the thing you and other people control

Pet – Annies bear or Shacos illusion, any play controlled nonchampion creature

Trap – when people drag you into a gank or a literal trap like teemos mushrooms and shacos jack in the boxes

Mark – The big circle over a player or buildings head, it means attack this first

Stun – an ability that incapacitates something for X seconds

Ulty or ultimate – the spell each hero acquires at level 6 11 and 16

Spell or ability – the little buttons you can click on your hero that do things

Hotkey – the button on your keyboard that a spell is linked to, for this game QWERFD

Tele – simply means to teleport

Creep – the little guys that charge each lane and duke it out

Super Creep – the big guys that spawn from killing inhibitors

Inhib – inhibitors

Push – to kill creeps in a lane keeping your own alive so that you build and army and quickly clear out buildings in an effort to kill the inhibitor

Ally – people on your team

Enemy – people on the other team

Baron – The big red Jolly Rodgers on the map that gives your whole team a big buff

Buff – an ability on your hero that increases his stats

Debuff – an ability on your hero that decreases his stats

Neutral Creeps – Creeps in the jungles that give exp but don’t aid in the jungle

Ace – when the last player of a team dies, this signals to push like crazy for the win

Fountain – the thing you initially spawn at, it heals and regenerates your health and mana

Jungling – When a player is running through the woods killing neutral creeps
you can even put a little bit of bold or something like this, just to makes it easier to rea -.-

DarkeTiger

11-09-2009

Stealther - A character that can turn invisible, can be counteracted with Vision Wards and Oracles Elixir

DPSer - DPS stands for Damage Per Second, these heroes/champions have high attack damage, crit and attack speed

Squishy - A character with low health/armor/magic resist, they typically have high damage capability or are able to cast buffs and aid other heroes/champions on their team

Mark - A reticule (Sniper Scope/Circle and a cross) that a player has placed on an enemy hero indicating to you that you should aim for that hero/champion, or that they are aiming for that hero/champion

anata ga mori

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2009

Quote:
I'll disagree with that - sometimes your job is to harass. It's not that you should never chase, but that you should never chase without having a planned exit. Pursue cautiously, get hits in, and break it off before a tower chews you up.

Will you get killed? Maybe, sometimes. But it's pretty rare, and generally requires the enemy to outnumber you. You can't play a zero risk game or you'll be no help to your team. You need to push a little.

Xailion

Recruiter

11-09-2009

Another exception I make to number 5 is when the champion has an movement/escape ability. For instance, I would always drop a point into Teemo's "Move Quickly" or Shaco's "Decieve". Abilities like these can really help you stay in a lane, you can run in for a lastshot, and quickly get away/persue. I find a single point in these abilities early on provide benifit enough and allows you to focus on more agressive powers.

Overall, great tips! I would like to emphasize #8, towerhugging. I can't tell you how many games I'm in where our solo wants to switch because they are too pressured to play as agressive as they usually do. Staying back near your tower and farming xp is a great alternative. You wont get as much gold, because the towers can kill some mobs if you aren't positioned right, but you will quickly out-level your opponents, and when you use an ability that is 1-2 levels higher than their's currently are, you will have the upper-hand.

I disagree with #10 You need to communicate with your team. Not everyone has perfect map awareness, and especially in solo/pub games. A simple "top/bot/mid mia" can save a teammate, and a lot of frustration from over-fed opponents. A "b" or "pill" followed by you retreating can emphasize, and make your teammates more aware. I guess some people can't type very well, but I've found that myself and most people I game with are very familiar with typing quickly and it isn't nearly as much time lost as dying/losing a gank.

Evilcookiemnstr

11-09-2009

On note of the wall of text, yea sorry when i converted it to word pad so it would let me copy and paste it here it jacked up my format and i was in class at school so didn't have time to fix but i wanted it open so people could see it at least.

On the thought of chasing, its a simple tip guide for avoiding noob mistakes, what you're talking about is a judgement call which is easier to make the more you play and the more experienced you become. As a noob or someone honing their basics you are going to learn more by not chasing and practicing being patient and biding your time and the judgement calls will eventually become natural instinct.

And on number 10 yes i agree with communicating with your team especially if you are soloing in a lane but a tip i need to add is that you should try to lane with another player until you are more comfortable with the game because you are starting out you want to try avoiding communication as much as possible because it does hurt your gameplay if you are too slow at it and it was more directed towards trash talking bragging and flaming.

Darke i like your updates for my terms you should know section but i was going more for a what they mean so you understand rather than a how to deal with them, that will come later when i make a general guide on how to deal with each hero at different intervals of the game.

And ive never seen the term pill, is that a retreat term?

Thanks for all the tips i will work on improving the guide and making it more user friendly as i go on, it was a spur of the moment thing at 10:30 last night to help a friend out.

On a side note does anyone know a program i can use to make a better guide? Microsoft Word doesn't let me copy and paste correctly or attach the document and notepad has a craptastic formatting system.

Xailion

Recruiter

11-09-2009

Yeah, the term pill, bp, and blue pill refer to going back to shop.

I hear it alot, and I don't quite understand it. The blue recall rings? The Matrix? meh