I encountered my first real troll in a ranked game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chaos Open

09-12-2013

I actually managed to get matched with this person twice. With a name like "Balls Deep 7" you know he isn't going to be the best influence. Despite that he was a really good player, making kills despite the scenario, but there was something about his play-style that indicated something wasn't right.
Both times he went ADC, I was playing mid. Around the 10 minute mark he would leave lane, come mid and begin taking all my farm. He would also push tower hard. With 2 people mid pushing tower everyone else on the other team would respond. Both times I was playing Ahri, a squishy mid/late game champ, so when he did it the first time I was annihilated and we lost.

The next game, I asked him to go back to lane, he only said "muted" and continued what he was doing. Something in me snapped, I'm not proud of what I did, but I wanted the game to end. So, sold my needlessly large rod(the only item I was able to buy thus far) and bought boots of mobility and homeguard, and began to feed, as soon as I spawned I ran for the enemy team and didn't defend myself.

Looking back it probably wasn't the best decision, acting entirely out of emotion, but he truly pissed me(and everyone else) off the first game, yet there was no way to report him. He can't be called an unskilled player, he never talked so we couldn't prove he was toxic, he gets off scott free. Then I somehow get matched with him and he begins to do it again, and I knew what he was.

I've been on the internet long enough to see a troll, a good troll will never be caught and they push you just far enough to get a reaction, yet never go so far as to let you put your finger on what they are doing. He knew how to worked the system yet still screw the team over and I wasn't going to play another game with him.

My reaction probably wasn't the best decision, but I truly hate how gold/plat/diamond players will make smurf accounts then troll Bronze players simply because we aren't as good as them.

JWP

09-12-2013

Obviously I wasn't in the game, didn't get to talk to this person, etc., so I may be mistaken...but from this description, it doesn't really sound like flat out intentional "trolling". It's perfectly possible this person doesn't have a solid understanding of tactics or felt there was a reason to go mid (not saying it was correct).

Trolling is what you did when you decided to intentionally feed, and when you did that, you didn't just hurt him, you hurt the three other people on your team who didn't do anything to you and robbed your 5 opponents of a good match.

I know some people are incredibly frustrating to deal with, but you are in charge of your own behavior, not him. Even if you feel somebody is purposely trying to screw up your game, there is absolutely no excuse to ever respond in kind. Mute him if he's raging and toxic, report him after, but don't make the situation worse.

*Edit* Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here...what makes you think he was a smurf exactly?

Jadmaster5

09-12-2013

bronze? what is this place. but in other words you will always get paired with trolls. just yesterday i saw a platinum 5 go heimerdinger mid vs me as chogath. not saying he wasnt good, but he did feed me 4 kills by 10 mins. (went 21-7-9) so all you really gotta do is comply, or as do as gregiot does (i believe thats his name) D.S.T. look up the video for more on that. but anyways just make sure in team select to make the other players feel like they are actually on your team, be like hey guys whats up. or say "how is everyone feeling today?"
9/10 times trolls wont troll if they have you on their team. and even if they do troll give them encouraging and helpful tips. for instance i had a teemo ap support who stole the 1st 2 kill from our vayne. i simply put great job teemo! he proceeded to win the game for us with a baron steal.

All in all, treat others like your team, if u have a troll laugh it off, after all its only a game and the point of a game is to have fun.

Gloosen

09-12-2013

As said above, that is the worst way to respond to a troll. You became a troll yourself, and im sure you were reported for that behavior by both teams. Why would you go out your way to "join" the troll?? Just because he went to your lane?? That makes you look very inexperienced.

On the matter of the troll. Just know he wasn't trolling on purpose. Seeing as he did it 2 times in different games, and he waited until 10 minutes in. He clearly wasn't intentionally trying to screw you up. He was most likely playing strategy that he thought was going to help win the game. Maybe he played that strategy multiple times before he ever met you, and thought it was amazing and would always win. You can assume it was not intentional just because he waited 10 Minutes in, all the trolls iv had either jump right into the enemy base as soon as the match starts or starts trolling when people make them angry. Waiting 10 minutes to troll isn't what they normally do, so you could assume otherwise. Even experienced players have their faults, so stop thinking they should be great at playing because then you think they are trolling when they aren't.

You should start giving the "benefit of the doubt" until you prove they are trolling. And being muted by another user is no reason to start trolling ever. Stuff like that will keep you and everyone on your team in the bronze.

-Didn't intend to offend you if you were offended, but do understand that was reckless. And be more understanding. Others wanna get out of bronze, just like you.

Chaos Open

09-12-2013

I know what I did wasn't a good response, in fact it was probably the worst way to respond. However, it wasn't trolling, it was simply trying to sabotage my team. Trolling is fishing for feedback.

However, it certainly wasn't just noob mistakes, he farmed well and got plenty of kills, the problem was he set the team up for failure and I am quite sure he did it intentionally.

Like I said, with a good troll, you'll never even know you're being trolled. However, I am 25 years old and I've been posting on sites like 4chan for years and identifying a troll is hard because you can't link it to any one example, but an overall examination of his actions.

More than likely, his plan was to end laning phase before people were ready, then do very well so he wouldn't be blamed and as people who were used to having a bit of time struggle to react they turn on each other. After that, he watches and laughs as the team tears itself apart trying to find who caused it to go wrong.

SZEFEN

Recruiter

09-12-2013

It appears he wanted to push down mid tower or lane swap and you played it out like a little *****.

TehomCD

09-12-2013

Although I wasn't in the game, from the description you give it sounds like his intention wasn't to troll you, but to try to push down the mid tower quickly. Now, he might have done it in a really bad way, but at least it's possible he thought what he was doing was a good idea and you probably should have played along.

On a more practical note, if someone is in a game with you who you really don't get along with, always wait before queuing up for another game so you're not matched together. It's just better for everyone involved if two people don't hate each other the instant they appear in a lobby together.

JWP

09-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Open View Post
I know what I did wasn't a good response, in fact it was probably the worst way to respond. However, it wasn't trolling, it was simply trying to sabotage my team. Trolling is fishing for feedback.

However, it certainly wasn't just noob mistakes, he farmed well and got plenty of kills, the problem was he set the team up for failure and I am quite sure he did it intentionally.

Like I said, with a good troll, you'll never even know you're being trolled. However, I am 25 years old and I've been posting on sites like 4chan for years and identifying a troll is hard because you can't link it to any one example, but an overall examination of his actions.

More than likely, his plan was to end laning phase before people were ready, then do very well so he wouldn't be blamed and as people who were used to having a bit of time struggle to react they turn on each other. After that, he watches and laughs as the team tears itself apart trying to find who caused it to go wrong.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you probably weren't dealing with Keyser Soze here. There are enough trolls in this game without crediting highly ambiguous game decisions to criminal masterminds. Don't create your own demons friend.

TheSickFlux

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-12-2013

He wasn't trolling....