A day in the life of a Riot employee?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nightwishs

07-24-2012

Why did i choose to go pre-law instead of doing something like this, wow.

Th3 Herbalist

07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwishs View Post
Why did i choose to go pre-law instead of doing something like this, wow.
It's all in doing what you love.

ploki122

07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
Hi. It is defiantly a casual dress work environment. Jeans and T shirts are the norm. Some people dress up a little more and that is totally cool as well.

My typical day starts with a bowl a cereal while watching some live games on the spectator mode monitors. Then I get a cup of coffee and get to checking emails and starting my programmin day and greeting people as they come in. I listen to the animators talk about the cool stuff they're doing and make sure that if they have any tech needs they are on our radar so we can support them in time. At 11:30 my team meets up and we go over the done and upcoming tasks in about 15 min.

After that I get back to my coding and then go to lunch, usually with other office people. I try to change it up so I get to know everyone. For lunch we either walk to the food court next door, go to the food trucks, or maybe walk to burgers or something. Rarely we use a car to get lunch, but if we do, it's taco day. Some people (starting to be me a couple times a week) go to the gym that is just next door to get a quick workout in during lunch.

After lunch it's more typical developer stuff and sometimes a meeting with more engineers to talk about overall goals and development practices. Sometimes it's a meeting with designers about upcoming champions and what tech they might need. Every now and then we go on coffee runs downstairs at the coffee shop if we want something fancy, like an iced mocha.

Around the end of the day, people start prairie dogging up over their desks (It's ok for me to use this word, because I'm Texan) to look for people for live games. Others go to the Korean internet cafe we have on the 3rd floor to play with all the PCs there. It's really hard to go home because I like what I do so much, and even if I'm not programming, it's fun to hang out and play games.

I hope that helps!
The important part is the bolded one, but since the whole post is really nice, I didn't feel like trimming it.

Onto the real topic... Bitsplosion needs you! currently, the fire Xerath's skin's Q's (Arcanopulse) animation's end is really flat and Bitsplosion said somewhere (will have to find where) that it was because there was no way to fit a glow aura at the end dending on wether or not his W (Locust of Power) is used. So basically, I really enjoy what you're doing (even though I can't say for sure since it is technically really hard to see the result) and I guess you really work your ass off for Riot, WE NEED YOU! Please find a way to fix that one :P.

EDIT : found it! http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...87691#27287691

P.s. sorry for the semi-hijack

Falling Objects

07-24-2012

Please hire me.

Hiriko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJerichoSwain View Post
sounds like all play no work lol. no offense but it really does....
After lunch is typical developer stuff, that's probably when he starts working on his own things.

Also he is Senior staff so his work schedule is different then say a grunt. This is why we want to move up in the workplace no? :P

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

07-24-2012
4 of 77 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryogen1x View Post
Thanks for prairie dogging your way in here (;D)

I was actually going to mention that in my original post.. you guys are always at the office and never seem to really mind it. Now I understand why. Does the office have closing hours or is it open 24/7? I know there's many people who work overnight on projects, but is that regular?

My parents both work for UPMC in Pittsburgh (hometown woo) and my dad frequently stays overnight to do work, but he's in the minority of the networking staff. It's almost like a skeleton crew, so to speak. Is that the same deal at Riot?
There is no time when we are kicked out of the building. It is regular for someone to be working at any hour (we have LOTS of developers) but it is not common for most people to work overnight. What you describe can happen here just depending on what things people are working on. For me, I more often work late because I want to keep working on what I'm doing than anything else.

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

07-24-2012
5 of 77 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiriko View Post
After lunch is typical developer stuff, that's probably when he starts working on his own things.

Also he is Senior staff so his work schedule is different then say a grunt. This is why we want to move up in the workplace no? :P
I'm a grunt as well. I write codes! The vast majority of my day is development time spent coding. Because that's the least interesting to "life at Riot" I wanted to answer the questions about why we love it so much. Oh, I forgot to mention the big TVs with fighting games and arcade sticks on the 2nd and 3rd floors.

Sacredify

07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
I'm a grunt as well. I write codes!
Do people ever put on their robes and wizard hats and have magical fights in the hallways?

Just wondering.

Trixie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2012

I wanna work for Riot now ._.

Gen Doukeshi

07-24-2012

When I interviewed for a position a few months ago I was made to understand one could often make their own hours so long as it's consistent and one was available for meetings and the like. You sound like you kind of standardly start out in the mornings and work into the evenings. Do different departments tend to keep different hours? i.e. are animators more morning people while the community group starts working in the afternoon and stays later?