Can You Counter The Meta?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ArlanKels

07-24-2012

I know this question is a bit odd, but right now the preferred Meta of SR is 1-1-2 with a Jungler. The preferred playstyle tends to favor more passivity over aggression, and for one of the bottom to have gold per ten items.

So what I'm wondering is would it be possible to create a champion specifically aimed to shift this meta?

If that champion existed, how likely would it be that everyone simply banned him and kept playing the old meta?

And lastly would any item changes allow for a meta shift, or does it hinge upon the mechanics of a champion to jerk the meta away from where it is now?

Conman0210

07-24-2012

Riot: "Can't let you do that ArlanKels!"

Seriously though. Very unlikely. Every time a new meta emerges, Riot "balances" the game so that it reverts. Sustain/Janna, Malphite, etc etc etc. I just can't see Riot intentionally designing a champion to change the meta. Furthermore, that's horrible for game design. Players are supposed to change the meta by constantly evolving and developing new strategies. If Riot has to actively change the meta, something is seriously wrong. The fact that the metagame hasn't changed in a half year is bad enough.

Ech0e5

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2012

He gets banned in Draft/ Ranked. Meta is still played

Struggler9996

07-24-2012

There are a few anti-meta champs in the game already, and with more champs added every few weeks, the meta will gradually shift to something new--not because every champ changes the meta, but little changes and additions with new champs alters the game. Nothing, outside of some big changes to the game, is going to change the current meta at the drop of a hat. Small things gradually shape the meta into something new.

DocBarber

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2012

Well I think this is the meta because it's the most stable way to get the maximum gold and experience for your team. Figure a way to change that and boom meta shifts. Now thinking about how to do that with 3 lane income streams and 1 jungle will be the hard part.

No more 5 promote mid.

Delicious Donut

07-24-2012

We cannot counter the meta if everything countering the meta gets nerfed. I give up.

Sterk

07-24-2012

I already designed a champion who fits the bill.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...714&highlight=
Please read it. I'm putting a lot of work into more media to support him.

Also a small counter to the current meta is to put someone with AOE and sustain to solo bot. Chogath is an example, Swain (with spellvamp or something to help sustain until 6), Mordekaiser, etc.

They can keep the tower up while keeping themselves alive, and allow the second player you have free to either duo bully mid, roam, or be the 2nd jungle.

Sterk

07-24-2012

someone downvoted me really fast.

Sterk

07-24-2012

btw ArlanKels why is your name so familiar? We're friends aren't we?

Felaedor

07-24-2012

1 champion cannot change the meta.

/thread.