How to train at gaming

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Deathwish546

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-23-2012

I'm just your average League of Legends 1600 elo player, and I've always played this for sport.

But recently I actually want to become better and try to get my elo to at least 2k+, and I know that I have to practice and practice. But I feel like this is not the only thing I can do to improve.

I've read guides on mobafire, solomid, and the forums here. I've spectated "high elo" games that are on the front. I've watched videos on youtube of high level plays. But I just don't feel myself really IMPROVING.

What I'm asking for is not one of those "get rich quick" ways to get elo, but rather something I can do steadily everyday or every game to improve. Maybe my thought processes when playing is wrong? How do pros think/practice? I appreciate all tips and advice that may help me.

About me:
1600~ elo
Good at: AD Bot
Mediocre at: Support/AP Mid/Top
Terribad at: Jungling

Things I've already done/will do:
- Watch and rewatch replays (recorded in specmode) of my deaths/kills/team movement
- Spam games on ranked/normals, practicing characters. Practice practice practice.
- Watch tons of "high elo" games
- Read many guides across the internet
- Watch youtube videos by pros with commentary

Also appreciated would be tips that would be applicable over a large variety of eSports and maybe even life in general.

Edit: Bottom line is, I not only want to become a better League of Legends player. I want to become a better GAMER in general and a better person, someone who you would want to have on your team even if he's not the greatest player, but you would want him because you know you can work well with him and he can work well with any team. I really appreciate any advice/stories/tips that people can offer.

BendyBread

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwish546 View Post
I want to become a better GAMER in general and a better person, someone who you would want to have on your team even if he's not the greatest player, but you would want him because you know you can work well with him and he can work well with any team. I really appreciate any advice/stories/tips that people can offer.
Being respectful of people, don't act arrogant or cocky if you're ahead or you think you know better. Try not to fight or incite arguments.

Honestly, it's way more fun playing with a fun, kind person with a sense of humor, but lacking "game skills", than someone who plays their lives out but is a real toolbag about everything. It's why I don't look up to most high ELO/famous streamers. They just act so superior sometimes.

Titan9900

07-24-2012

There isn't anything special to get good at League of legends you just need to improve 3 aspects of your game.

Develop your basic mechanics ( practice)
- creep score
- zoning and trading damage
- map awareness

Develop knowledge ( practice and watch other players if you wanted to )
- champion builds
- champion counters

Team skills ( make a team)
- team compositions
- communication
- reacting

Nevercrysis

07-24-2012

Bump... Map Awareness and WARDS are your best friend!!

B SIDE

07-24-2012

There probably isn't a magic trick to get you to the next level. Maybe individual coaching would help your training regimen. It's hard to know where you can improve without seeing you play. Hire a pro.

Etherimp

07-24-2012

If he's 1600 ELO I am sure he knows how to ward.

I am a washed up competitive gamer. I used to play Counter-strike at a high level, and for money. Was top rated in WoW and Age of Empires 3, and have been competitive in a variety of others.

There are a handful of "core" factors to becoming a true competitive gamer:

1. Surround yourself with good players.
2. 10,000 hours of practice.
3. Quality computer/internet connection.
4. Ability to travel if you wish to compete in tournys/lan events.
5. Natural talent

#1 means getting on a team of players.. They do not have to be the best team.. What they DO have to be is a team that fits the other 3 criteria. IE - They can play alot, they can travel, and they have a good internet connection and good computer, and they are at least somewhat talented at video games.

#2 is quite literal.. To become an expert at anything you need to devote 10,000 hours to it. This is, to give you a rough idea, about 5 years of practice at about 8 hours a day 5 days a week. In practicing for 8 hours a day you may find yourself at the top of the leader boards after only a year or less of playing. This is possible...But after 5 years, you are truly a "master".

#3 is self explanatory. Without a good computer and good internet connection you will constantly be at a disadvantage. Enough said.

#4 is only if you wish to compete in tournaments and win money/prizes/fame. In World of Warcraft and Age of Empires I was never playing in tournaments, nor did I make any money at it... but I was in the top .05% - 1.0% of players. But if you truly wish to make money at gaming, you have to be able to travel.

#5 is a tough one to define. Some people (such as myself) will never be pro basketball players even if we surround ourselves with all of the best players and practice 8-10 hours a day.. I probably couldn't be a musician, either.. Those are not my talents. However, I have been playing video games since I was approximately 4 years old, and I am now 32 years old. I am not sure whether I got my hand-eye coordination, reflexes, and intelligence from being a game player, or if those things were inherent to me and I simply found what I was naturally inclined to be talented at. . However, when you look at the highest levels of competitive play (or sport, or any talent such as music or even any occupation such as being an attorney), some people are gifted with a certain set of skills which allow them to out-perform their peers even though their peers have dedicated just as much time as they have to their lifestyle/talent/game/sport. This "natural talent" however is only a very small (about 5%) factor in becoming successful at any given thing. The rest is all hard work, determination, friends, opportunities, etc.

Anyhow.. My suggestion if you wish to become a BETTER player is simply play more and try surrounding yourself with better players.

My suggestion if you wish to become a pro gamer is follow the advice above.

Deathwish546

07-24-2012

Thanks a lot to everyone for inputting, I really appreciate it, especially Etherimp for going into so much detail. I'll try my best to improve following everything.

But if anyone else has stories/advice, keep them coming, it won't hurt!

Etherimp

07-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwish546 View Post
Thanks a lot to everyone for inputting, I really appreciate it, especially Etherimp for going into so much detail. I'll try my best to improve following everything.

But if anyone else has stories/advice, keep them coming, it won't hurt!
Something more specific to you: Learn to jungle.

Junglers and AP Carries are the most influential positions early->mid game, as you can help the remainder of your team get fed... Unlike ADC, where you have to depend upon too many other factors. If your Mid and Top lane feed jungler/mid, they can come down and roflstomp you and there's not much you can do about it, even if you're beating your opponent in CS and overall winning your lane.

Of course, as ADC you have better late game scaling, but that doesn't help your team if everyone except you gets shut down early game. If you don't have someone to protect you, enemies just bulldoze your team and go straight for you.

Gushma

07-25-2012

Its a simple suggestion but you could practice last hitting every day in a measurable way.

Run a few custom games (no bots) each day with different champs and record your cs at the end of 10 mins. Keep track how you do over time with the different champs and aim to get 95% consistently.

Sort of like how in a lot of sports you practice the basics (i.e baseball - catching and throwing) more then anything else.

FaerellG

07-25-2012

Do you watch Day9? He's mostly about starcraft 2 right now, but his commentary is applicable to just about any style of game. Here's one of the best dailies he did:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-9VLVkm8R4