Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Champion Spotlight: Zyra, Rise of the Thorns

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kappa 420 Kappa

Recruiter

07-23-2012

Quote:
Bowser8466:
Woot! First AP in a while <3

AP jayce begs to differ. but seriously, really excited for zyra. tried her out on the PBE, really liked her kit. good job on this one guys

Delnoir

07-23-2012

Holy ****, that second skin splash is awesome.

I don't think I'll be able to say much more till I actually play her.

Nazzadan

07-23-2012

Quote:
Morello:
Yeah, they can suck. Glad we recycled that seed gameplay, considering no other MOBA has done it.

You are so hung up on this its ridiculous

Eph289

07-23-2012

Quote:
Morello:
Hehe

Morello, I have a slightly different concern.

We've been seeing a lot of champions whose power curves peak at the early-mid game, all the way back to Fiora (admittedly Lulu's power curve has fluctuated with lots of balance changes and being a support). Maybe that's an admittedly short time period to look at. Arguably, even Varus and Draven, who are ranged AD carries, are more about the early-mid game, Draven because of how much damage Spinning Axe does but rather unreliable to use in teamfights repeatedly, and Varus with a relative lack of a defining steroid tends to peak earlier than, say, Kog'Maw.

Phreak's comment in the spotlight about Zyra being another exceptional early-mid-game duelist makes me wonder if Riot's shifting away from lategamers like Vayne or Karthus in favor of the early-mid peaks, or if this is just a short-term bubble.

Kappa 420 Kappa

Recruiter

07-23-2012

Quote:
Dreggon:
Soraka deals damage. That makes her a DPS champion.

Bananas are broken man. dat dps

CaptainTDM

07-23-2012

Good job guys on the champion spotlight. The item build was finally clear. The other spotlight had an item guide that was all over the place. This one was way easier to understand.

Patroks

Recruiter

07-23-2012

Oh god...that new baron buff...

KoSyAk007

07-23-2012

so when will League Of Legends have a champion like Goblin Techies?

07-23-2012

my only issue is that if you make zyra what reworked heimedinger could be , what are you going to do with him ?

BadgerDrool

07-23-2012

Quote:
Morello:
Shaco has JitB's. That makes him Heimer.

Do I seriously have to have this argument every champ even though each champion actually is really different? Pattern recognition people! :P

It's funny because I think Zyra's plants are closer to AP Shaco boxes in feel then Heimer turrets.

They come out of no where positioning wise. They do good damage over time. Obviously they don't CC when they show up and they don't get preplaced to trigger when someone wanders by.

As someone that's fought Zyra on PBE a bunch. Approaching her minions is pretty unique. Certain champions can kill the plants so easily you actually want to burn an ability to do so. Thus allowing you to rob Zyra of her zone of control and get on top of her. Zyra's damage without plants isn't scary.

Which is the other thing. Zyra has far more "openings" then say Heimer. If she pushes with plants you have an excellent time to move in and do damage while they are on cooldown. Heimer's turrets tend to last long enough to have a few up your sleeve.

Zyra has a very unique feel to both face and play. All the comparisons I've seen to other champions have been surface only or just achieving a similar result in a different way.

That said. The way Zyra uses her plants is more engaging then Heimer turrets and may be the better "stationary minion" design over all. Doesn't mean she plays like Heimer though.