Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Assistant Anivia, the Cryophoenix

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dreamydischarge

11-12-2009

7-4-9 is me on a bad day

anata ga mori

Recruiter

11-12-2009

No. It's your team on a bad day, or you wouldn't have those kills, because a competent carry can always substantially outdamage you.

That 7-4-9 I got was a terrible matchup. You'd have read and understood that if you weren't so wrapped up in your "I'm totally awesome" mindset. This isn't about you and this isn't about how good anyone's KDA record is. It's about the best way new Anivia players can contribute towards a team win.

If you want to keep commenting, come up with something positive to contribute here. You just keep talking about how great you supposedly are without offering any concrete tips for readers, which is derailing the thread and not helping anyone.

AFKray

11-12-2009

Quote:
anata ga mori:
No. It's your team on a bad day, or you wouldn't have those kills, because a competent carry can always substantially outdamage you.

That 7-4-9 I got was a terrible matchup. You'd have read and understood that if you weren't so wrapped up in your "I'm totally awesome" mindset. This isn't about you and this isn't about how good anyone's KDA record is. It's about the best way new Anivia players can contribute towards a team win.

If you want to keep commenting, come up with something positive to contribute here. You just keep talking about how great you supposedly are without offering any concrete tips for readers, which is derailing the thread and not helping anyone.

First off posting scores won't really prove much at all. I could be posting a lot of my 20/2/11 or whatever games but that wont' really prove much. As of the most recent patch, Anivia CAN be a viable carry. The magic pen allows us to persist through endgame without hitting that wall, and by that wall i mean the magic resist the other team gets. Before you couldn't really circumvent your magic counter so physical carries reigned supreme. Now things are a bit different. As far as your question on priority in fights I will tell how how I play it.

First, I look for a set-up. By this i mean either Wall someone in, flash frost someone to single them out or glacial a group to provide some "panic" time to allow my teammates to initiate. From there you have a priority system. Anyone who is chilled, should have a frost bite coming at them. There is no reason NOT to spend the 90 mana for your main nuke, one which hurts VERY much with some AP. You keep saying it's range is tiny, I just don't get where you are coming from. The range of its cast is about that of your ultimate. Granted you CAN get the range of your ult to be a lot longer, it doesn't matter when placement is key. Your burst is actually a very important part of team battles as it provides that "oh shit" pressure on their carry. I say carry because that is who you should be gunning for. As a rule of thumb CC > carries. Your slow is no exception. It reduces mobility and damage output, as such, the carry should be chilled almost the whole time. This however is quite reliant on positioning, as chasing too much will result is problems. Almost all my games I play as Anivia, my frost bites will take like 30-50% of the enemy's health. I really want to say i'm exaggerating but this is simply what I observe. By the time you are level 9 and have like 40-80 AP (usually when I have my rod of ages close to finished), which makes will boost your Frost bite up there at around 450ish damage. That + a flash frost and you have around 900 damage in literally a second. Best part is, you can follow this up with another 450, four seconds later.

These numbers aside, Glacial is your instigator. It's easy to cast/hit and has a short cooldown. When you get people into a confined space AND/OR slowed by Glacial, then you can flash frost --> frost bite. Getting a Frost Bite off is quite easy if you sequence your commands as, Q -->moveclick-->Q+E right click. You get your FF explosion and Frost bite comming out at the same time. I usually mix a Wall inbetween the explosion and the FBite though. Usually keeps them in your range for a second glacial-->frostbite.

And for your issue of survival for newer players, Rod of Ages is your best friend. It provides all you're going to need early, plus your best survival tool....the ability to rape face when people "attempt" to gank you. I say attempt because there has been SO many games when a twitch will pop out only to die in less than 3 seconds. If you want you can friend me online and you can show me your Anivia in action and I can give some criticism if you want. Not saying i'm a pro, but I have been playing with her for quite a while.

dunno0828

11-13-2009

I don't know if I totally agree with this guide, I mean its "ok". But the ammount of mana I dont see you mention Archangel's Staff which is beastly on Anivia. Endgame I get 4k mana+ so that passive is crutial. Also I didn't see anything about Banchee's Veil which also helps out alot with Anivia's survivability.

It just looked like you threw this guide together in and hour with 0 research. Also your posted games arn't too impressive, just to let you know.

RyuuKitten

Recruiter

11-14-2009

I was gonna post about how you're wrong and this is a bad guide.

But uh.. just listen to AFKush

jAmMyGoIt

11-20-2009

Despite what he says at the end, AFKush is pro.

It's amazing how effecitve starting with glacial is. Follow it with FB. And while they are slowly running away you can easily hit them with FF and then FB should be near cd and can use it again, glacial again...gg. Also, you can target your glacial position and while you are moving to the target position, you can activate your FB and target your opponent that way, it may visually seem, that you are launching your FB BEFORE your glacial hits the ground, but it's a quick combination that never fails. Another way to do it is if you're watching someone and they don't know you're there, and they're just sitting there autofiring, you can launch your FF (which they rarely see coming until too late), move in for the FB, then glacial them so they have to run a long way thru it, then use another FB.

I like to start with Ruby as (it builds to a CATALYST) you have crazy survivability early on and can even tower dive for a kill as early as lvl 3, or so, if you have some escape spell (flash/ghost). Yes, you have to be a bit conservative early with using mana (depending on toons in lane I either plan for a champ kill or I farm), so I only use mana for that unless something juicy come my way. Of course getting a combination of $ and hitting champs...should I say it...kills two birds with one stone.

Forget the ring, CATALYST is a must as soon as possible:
1. You can lane and harrass forever with the quick leveling. Like AFKush, I like to get two Rods, but if necessary 1 Rod and 1 Banshee. The reason - Catalyst builds to them! Get another Catalyst after you've built your 1st Rod and boots (hopefully this happens by level 11-13). It also replaces your mana regen item until you can get it later.

2. So with you're second Catalyst you continue the hp/mana regen all the way to 18 if necessary. Lately, after my second Catalyst I've been getting the new Void Staff before upgrading the Catalyst. Again, you still miss out on mana regen but try to use your mana wisely and get the golem buff and you won't even know it. Runes come out today and I plan on using a majority of mana regen ones. But if you notice you're having trouble with mana and out of battle too much then start on a Archangel. Maybe I rely on Catalyst too much, but I have maxed out my +exp% in mastery and usually reach 18 before others, so it works great.

3. You can even easily, soloing, hold a turret against a serious pushing duo (alistar/sivir) just sitting in front of your tower soaking up as many minion hits as possible instead of your tower, killing what you have to with glacial/FB, balancing your life and mana until your next level. And don't be afraid to lose your egg in the process = you're saving a turret and occupying 2 (or more) enemies while your team owns a lane, not to mention the $ and exp.

And that leads to another great strategy: using your egg as lure. It's amazing, even with experienced players, how badly they want to kill you when you only have 1/5 your life or less. Just hang around your turret and you're certain to attractive those greedy champions into diving after you. Hit them with a FF as they come in for your kill and they are toast. If they are fast or hard to hit with your skill shot, just glacial right before they hit you so you can get the kill while the turret does the rest if they stick around to kill your egg, If they run then a team mate can finish them off - or you can when you're reborn.

Two skill tips:
Wall: the obvious use is to keep a champ from running away or keep them from running to you, but use it when the 5v5 battles happen in the open by separating the opposing team into two parts. This, of course, turns it almost into a 5v2 battle which you'll easily win. In the jungle this owns. Also when you're trying to destroy a turret, especially a inhib turret, you can catch an unwary, wandering, champ outside their base for a quick kill. It also works great as a scare tactic, like when there are no friends around and you think you'll lose a turret or have to retreat, put it behind them and sometimes they feel clastaphopic and run lol.

FF: when you use FF, try to make sure you don't detonate it until it has passed thru your target fully, that way you get pretty much double damage (the trail + detonation)

IgnisPhase1

11-20-2009

AFKush and others who have been posting in Anivia threads for a while have pretty much covered anything else I would have contributed. I'm glad to see another Anivia player, even if you're not using the same strategy as us. If you've found another cooperative and effective way to play her, more power to you.

The Swedish Chef

11-20-2009

I'm with AFKush personally.. his build is pretty much what I have in my own guide, although I do like doing the 2x Rods pretty often, it just depends on how quickly you can farm for it.

CowFu

11-22-2009

holy crap there is some hate on this thread. Anivia is a support CC champ, which is a VERY flexible role thus she can be played many ways with decent success.

Etherin

11-22-2009

I welcome the helpful additions to this thread.

<3 Anivia