Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tanky support - Taric or Alistar?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fracture Eon

07-23-2012

Taric is very strong in lane, but his scaling into late game is bad. His presence in team fights is important, but "invisible" as in he contributes a lot that isn't apparent, such as his auras. He works really well with Graves and can make up for Vayne's weak laning phase.

Taric also has THE worst passive in the game right now aside from Heimerdinger. It literally does nothing for him unless he's solo laning which is a very rare occurrence today.

Croanin

07-23-2012

Quote:
Fracture Eon:
Taric is very strong in lane, but his scaling into late game is bad. His presence in team fights is important, but "invisible" as in he contributes a lot that isn't apparent, such as his auras. He works really well with Graves and can make up for Vayne's weak laning phase.

His presence in late game teamfights can't comprare to the CC and utility offered by other supports that can initiate or counter initiate imo.

Also to the OP Taric's heal isn't as good as you think, because of his lousy passive Taric has the lowest base mana regen of all the supports, and your passive isn't used much in lane, he'll go oom quickly if your healing alot.

Hitro

07-23-2012

blitzcrank

NeonChinchilla

07-23-2012

If you want to support main you need both. As well as Leona, Naut, Blitz, and Nunu.

If you feel like being adventurous Maokai, Malph, Karma (you might be confused but compare her stats to alistar, she has more armor, comparable hp, and range. Tanky karma support is surprisingly effective), GP, Sej, and Yorick

I've seen all of those be effective tank supports.

for your question without going off on a tangent Taric is a better laner by far. His buff/debuff combo is really strong and dazzle is a great 2 sec stun. Alistar is much better than taric in teamfights and for roaming. So it depends on your playstyle.

Taric relies on winning laning phase to stay effective all game (even then thats a stretch). He pairs well with strong laners (Cait, MF, Graves)

Alistar is fine if he loses laning because he can make up for it in teamfights much easier than taric can.

Unfortunately taric falls off really hard because he isn't building any scaling items so his armor buff/debuff and ult become less and less effective the longer the game goes on.

LysolCleaner

07-23-2012

alistar is pretty awesome, he's quite the bully in lane if you can utilize him very well. Usually in ranked games, alistar might be banned. Taric is hardly banned these days i think..both of them are good, you should get them both

Blaine Tog

07-23-2012

Leona!

epicrap

09-06-2014

I both supports are so tanky in lane and they have a heal, but alistar combo is kind've hard to do while taric just smashes his hammer and stuns the adc. But alistar has more peeling and has a better team fight with his aoe stun and knock back.So both supports are good but i think alistar takes it.(I haven't played both supports in a while and i main support).