Tanky support - Taric or Alistar?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheYoungTurks

07-23-2012

I do like playing support, but I've never had that much fun with support champions I have - Sona and Soraka. I think they are usually very boring, passive and reactive. You just stay back, throw heals, occasionally going forward to help with damage and to CC. Not to mention that they are squish.

So I've been looking into supports that are meaty enough to tank with your bruiser in the front line when team fight happens, still threatening enough with CCs and heals to make a good target for the enemies in team fights.
I concluded that Taric and Alistar both make good candidates.

I got Alistar for free, and I like him so far. Q -> W and W -> Q combo is a bit difficult, but I can manage it for about 50% chance, and I'll get better with more practice.
His early game without good mana regen can be a bit difficult though, especially against harassing champions.

As for Taric, I am saving up IP, but I really do like what I read about him. Dependable, long range stun, more controlled heal than Alistar's(and scales real nice with AP,) better mana regen early game(although I'm sure the passive is useless lategame with support/tank items,) and great auras he brings onto the table.

So what do you guys think? Taric or Alistar?

Xiao Rettousei

07-23-2012

Nautilus

PowaLegend

07-23-2012

Both are pretty good, but i think that Taric is better if you are new playing aggressive as a support.

ChampionSlayer77

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-23-2012

taric because alistar is always permabanned

Its a Secret shh

07-23-2012

Taric all day baby.

Manly Man Taric carries bot lane. Every time.

Nantuck

07-23-2012

Both are pretty fun. I play a lot of Taric and I really like how his passive armor buff can toughen up your AD carry just that much more. It's really noticeable if the enemy carry seems to be hitting kinda hard at the start .. by about level 5 you can start to see his damage dwindle and his overconfidence becomes the enemy's folly.

CorruptDictator

07-23-2012

naut.

bob000

07-23-2012

Taric is stronger offensively while Alistar is better defensively. Taric is stronger in lane while alistar is better after laning.

Croanin

07-23-2012

I dont see why people love Taric so much, I utterly despise him. His early game is powerful, his mid game is potent, but his late game is utterly pathetic...he's just a walking Aura. His one stun isn't going to save his carry from 2-3 people jumping on his carry when they have Merc Treads and his heal doesn't do jack either.

Alistar like most Supports can counter initiate which I find very important, Ali has an AoE stun that can be used up to 3 times with full CDR and a knockback to peel, zone or put carries in a bad position. Janna has her Knockback, Soraka has her Global heal which is strong late game, Leona has her AoE stun/slow, Nunu has his AoE slow that could possibly do alot of damage if not interrupted, Sona has her AoE stun. Blitz has his pulls for initiating or peeling, knockup for peeling and AoE silence.

Taric just seems like more of a gamble to me in which you have to win your lane and start snowballing because in a more clutch game I simply feel like I'm running around doing nothing in teamfights.

AIM7Sparrow

07-23-2012

Both are good. Alistar is banned a lot though so you might have a hard time playing him. Taric is also a bit easier imo.