Forced to have Smite?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

thhoorr

07-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonorableGeneral View Post
This. Riot doesn't like encouraging any metas, as it causes the game to stagnate. Imagine if they put special rules into place to encourage the Tanky DPS meta (must have at least 3 tanky DPS)? We'd still be there instead of evolving to where we are now.

The sacrifice behind that is that if your team is too stuck in the current meta, they could lose because they're unable to counter or are not anticipating the enemy team to break the meta (no jungler, kill lane bot, double mid, etc) but that's something we'll have to live with if we want the meta to keep evolving.
In my opinion, I think the current meta makes the most sense. The buffs and jungle camps are there for a reason and sohuldnt be wasted. ranged AD carries work the best with somebody who can keep them up and farming. Mid is the shortest lane so it really only needs 1 champion "guarding" it. And that leaves 1 person top lane. The most NORMAL meta would be if there were 6 people and 2 top, 1 mid, 2 bot, 1 jungle. Just my opinion.

thhoorr

07-22-2012

Quote:
Even in ranked you'll see occasional teams without a jungler. Tends to be rarer at higher ELOs, but it's always a possibility since jungler is not a forced position.

A few tips for dealing with 1v2 top:

- Encourage your other lanes to overextend. Since there's no enemy teammate that you don't have vision on, overextension is perfectly safe. Just glance at the map and see if the other lanes are missing champions. If they are, they're usually going to gank an overextended lane.

- Sit at tower and last-hit. Generally if you see the enemy team has no viable jungler (rare, as they'll generally take a viable jungler so you're fooled into thinking they have one) you should counter-pick a solo top who can last hit at tower well. If you sit at tower, the 2 enemy teammates will be forced to go within tower range to get last hits, and you can safely defend if they try to dive you. Also makes it easier for jungler to gank your lane.

- Have jungler take advantage of the enemy jungle. Since the enemy probably won't ward their jungle (too much work for creep camps they won't clear anyways), your jungler can easily keep double-buff stacked on him the whole game (also lets your mid keep perma-blue buffed the whole game if your jungler doesn't need blue). Having buffs always beats not having them, and the ability to grab them quickly (your blue + enemy red is closer than your blue + your red; and vise-versa) is also a bonus.

- Claim objectives whenever possible. No enemy jungler means the enemy can't safely grab dragon, since your jungler can flash in and smite for the steal. Whenever the enemy attempts a dragon or baron, always contest it if you have the strength. Odds are they'll lose because you can smite it just as it's getting low, and doing this repeatedly can so discord and anger among the enemy team.
Really appreciate the tips and will try to put them to use next game I get forced to 1v2.

HonorableGeneral

07-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by thhoorr View Post
In my opinion, I think the current meta makes the most sense. The buffs and jungle camps are there for a reason and sohuldnt be wasted. ranged AD carries work the best with somebody who can keep them up and farming. Mid is the shortest lane so it really only needs 1 champion "guarding" it. And that leaves 1 person top lane. The most NORMAL meta would be if there were 6 people and 2 top, 1 mid, 2 bot, 1 jungle. Just my opinion.
The issue with having a six-player map would be that there would never be meta changes since you'd always have full lanes, unless maybe you went double mid instead of jungle.

To have a six-player map they'd need to balance the jungle so that jungling would take longer and therefore be more punishing of bad junglers, making double mid a safer bet since having a failed jungle sets one teammate behind. That way you have options (jungling isn't so viable that it crowds out everything else).

thhoorr

07-22-2012

Quote:
The issue with having a six-player map would be that there would never be meta changes since you'd always have full lanes, unless maybe you went double mid instead of jungle.

To have a six-player map they'd need to balance the jungle so that jungling would take longer and therefore be more punishing of bad junglers, making double mid a safer bet since having a failed jungle sets one teammate behind. That way you have options (jungling isn't so viable that it crowds out everything else).
Oh no I don't want a 6v6, that would just be the most symmetrical game. I agree with you, that would take the evolving meta out of the game.

HonorableGeneral

07-22-2012

Quote:
What I've seen in some games is what I like to call "semi-jungling". To eliminate use of smite, some teams I've seen will take the 2-1-2 lane setup, and then have one of their top-lane champs go jungle after hitting level 3 or 4.

While this is not optimal when faced with an enemy jungle (who will usually have invaded by the time the top-laner has hit level 3), if both teams lack a jungler then semi-jungling can make the difference between winning and losing the game.

Having a semi-jungler allows you to maintain buff control and camp control so long as the enemy team doesn't have a jungler, and it also allows a safer first few levels in top lane (most 1v2 top lane losses snowball from a kill at levels 1 - 3, so having an even top lane until everyone's close to level 6 tends to even this out) so 1v2ing isn't so bad.

Swiftblood

07-22-2012

People dont like 1v2? I love it when I have two people in top lane, just dont be aggressive at all, if you do **** right youll be at lvl 6 when theyre level 4 almost 5 and kick the **** out of both ofem.

Krshna

07-22-2012

Yes every team needs one smite. The jungler. As top you aren't entitled to either of the buffs, blue to goes mid and red goes to the ad. And one smite is enough for Drag and Baron. If you are playing games where there is no jungle and there is double top, then start playing ranked. If this is happening in ranked.... then I don't want to know what Elo you are and probably couldn't help you

Krshna

07-22-2012

Quote:
What I've seen in some games is what I like to call "semi-jungling". To eliminate use of smite, some teams I've seen will take the 2-1-2 lane setup, and then have one of their top-lane champs go jungle after hitting level 3 or 4.

While this is not optimal when faced with an enemy jungle (who will usually have invaded by the time the top-laner has hit level 3), if both teams lack a jungler then semi-jungling can make the difference between winning and losing the game.

Having a semi-jungler allows you to maintain buff control and camp control so long as the enemy team doesn't have a jungler, and it also allows a safer first few levels in top lane (most 1v2 top lane losses snowball from a kill at levels 1 - 3, so having an even top lane until everyone's close to level 6 tends to even this out) so 1v2ing isn't so bad.
Honestly, what games are you playing in that there is even a chance that there won't be a Jungle? At every elo i've ever been, I've never played a ranked game that didn't have a jungler on each side. Is this like super super low elo? Or normals?

thhoorr

07-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krshna View Post
Honestly, what games are you playing in that there is even a chance that there won't be a Jungle? At every elo i've ever been, I've never played a ranked game that didn't have a jungler on each side. Is this like super super low elo? Or normals?
normals.I said that

Lajinn5

07-22-2012

Quote:
normals.I said that
thats why, in normals no one cares about meta, they do whatever they please