Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Forced to have Smite?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

thhoorr

07-22-2012

I love top lane. It is my favorite position by far. Lately, however, am beginning to hate the lane. I play normal 5v5 usually and I think each team should be forced to have at least one smite because I'm tired of teams not having a jungler. It is pretty difficult to go 1v2 the entire laning phase. And yes I realize people will say, "Then just get your jungler to gank alot." The problem with that is 90% of the time junglers don't gank as much as you think they should and you end up losing lane too quickly. So I just thought maybe each team should have smite. I don't know if this would be the solution but I think it could help.

Gentle08

07-22-2012

the jungler has smite.. it's useless to have it unless you are jungling

Lethminite

07-22-2012

Quote:
Gentle08:
the jungler has smite.. it's useless to have it unless you are jungling

he gets that, what he's saying is he wants jungling to be compulsary for each team so he doesnt get 2v1ed up top, when his team has a jungler but the other doesnt.

HonorableGeneral

07-22-2012

Quote:
Lethminite:
he gets that, what he's saying is he wants jungling to be compulsary for each team so he doesnt get 2v1ed up top, when his team has a jungler but the other doesnt.

Thing is that jungling is just one strategy. Forcing people to jungle would be like forcing people to pick AD carry + support bottom, even when running a kill lane is a viable (if risky) alternative.

Jungling is only effective when you can rely on your solo top to hold his lane and your jungler to gank effectively. If they can't do both those things, you probably shouldn't have a jungler on your team.

Haen

Recruiter

07-22-2012

Riot hates the forced jungle meta, so I doubt they ever implement a forced smite. Look at how hard they nerfed the jungle a few months ago. Still, its too strong and makes too much sense to ignore it. So while it sucks to be in a 2v1 lane, I try to think that my team is so far ahead because we have a jungler.

Biffels

07-22-2012

It is just one strategy but having a jungler apply pressure to all lanes and have your SOLO top have more farm than a duo top are both extremely superior to not having a jungler.

To OP, there is a place where jungling is normal for both sides, just keep playing and you will find it.I dont remember the last time my enemy team didn't have a jungler =/

HonorableGeneral

07-22-2012

Quote:
FlyingElf:
Riot hates the forced jungle meta, so I doubt they ever implement a forced smite. Look at how hard they nerfed the jungle a few months ago. Still, its too strong and makes too much sense to ignore it. So while it sucks to be in a 2v1 lane, I try to think that my team is so far ahead because we have a jungler.

This. Riot doesn't like encouraging any metas, as it causes the game to stagnate. Imagine if they put special rules into place to encourage the Tanky DPS meta (must have at least 3 tanky DPS)? We'd still be there instead of evolving to where we are now.

The sacrifice behind that is that if your team is too stuck in the current meta, they could lose because they're unable to counter or are not anticipating the enemy team to break the meta (no jungler, kill lane bot, double mid, etc) but that's something we'll have to live with if we want the meta to keep evolving.

thhoorr

07-22-2012

So do you guys think the solution would be to just play ranked :/

thhoorr

07-22-2012

Also, I appreciate all of the feedback. Made me think about some stuff.

HonorableGeneral

07-22-2012

Quote:
thhoorr:
So do you guys think the solution would be to just play ranked :/

Even in ranked you'll see occasional teams without a jungler. Tends to be rarer at higher ELOs, but it's always a possibility since jungler is not a forced position.

A few tips for dealing with 1v2 top:

- Encourage your other lanes to overextend. Since there's no enemy teammate that you don't have vision on, overextension is perfectly safe. Just glance at the map and see if the other lanes are missing champions. If they are, they're usually going to gank an overextended lane.

- Sit at tower and last-hit. Generally if you see the enemy team has no viable jungler (rare, as they'll generally take a viable jungler so you're fooled into thinking they have one) you should counter-pick a solo top who can last hit at tower well. If you sit at tower, the 2 enemy teammates will be forced to go within tower range to get last hits, and you can safely defend if they try to dive you. Also makes it easier for jungler to gank your lane.

- Have jungler take advantage of the enemy jungle. Since the enemy probably won't ward their jungle (too much work for creep camps they won't clear anyways), your jungler can easily keep double-buff stacked on him the whole game (also lets your mid keep perma-blue buffed the whole game if your jungler doesn't need blue). Having buffs always beats not having them, and the ability to grab them quickly (your blue + enemy red is closer than your blue + your red; and vise-versa) is also a bonus.

- Claim objectives whenever possible. No enemy jungler means the enemy can't safely grab dragon, since your jungler can flash in and smite for the steal. Whenever the enemy attempts a dragon or baron, always contest it if you have the strength. Odds are they'll lose because you can smite it just as it's getting low, and doing this repeatedly can so discord and anger among the enemy team.