Vladimir vs Jax

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Judas Priest

07-21-2012

How can Vladimir counter Jax, is it even possible?

HonorableGeneral

07-21-2012

Jax counters AD auto-attackers thanks to his Counter-Strike.

Vlad rarely auto-attacks, and since he has built-in sustain he can out-sustain Jax (who has to buy Wriggles or Gunblade to get his sustain).

Vlad and Kennen are built-in counters for Jax because they do well top (do not rely on blue buff and are fairly tanky for APs) and they can out-harass Jax (Kennen) or out-sustain him (Vlad) from a distance.

Judas Priest

07-21-2012

Thanks for your reply. Since Vladimir should be able to counter Jax, I might be doing something wrong. How can I counter him, which combos and/or items, strategies etc should I use?

HonorableGeneral

07-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre Judas View Post
Thanks for your reply. Since Vladimir should be able to counter Jax, I might be doing something wrong. How can I counter him, which combos and/or items, strategies etc should I use?
Since most Jax's go hybrid with an AD focus, starting cloth armor + 5 pots is usually a good idea. If you think your built-in sustain is enough (I'd be safe with cloth armor, but you never know) then you could go boots + 3 pots (if enemy jungler is a strong ganker) or Amplifying Tome if you intend to go for early aggression.

Rylai's Crystal Scepter is a must-buy on Vladamir since it syncs with his passive. Because he gets HP from AP, you can get away with buying more squishy AP items like Rabadon's Deathcap first. By late-game, supplement your tankiness with a Zhonya's (great for jumping in, ulting, and sitting there while the enemy team dies) and/or an Abyssal Scepter (if the enemy team has a lot of AP).

Vlad is basically like a tanky DPS, except he's an AP instead of an AD. Think of him like old Jax - he scales off of AP for his HP, and vise-versa, so maximizing his scaling is a good idea when it comes to building items.

Judas Priest

07-21-2012

Thanks! I'll play a 3x3 now and if there is a Jax there, I'll test your suggestions.

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-21-2012

I would pick Jax into a Vladimir lane so I could walk all over him in the first 8 levels. Vlad wins if he can turtle it out while keeping up farm; Jax wins by killing Vlad a lot or at least forcing him to b often, thus snowballing the lane and making Vlad useless. (Once you jump him with stun up, he has to either pool or take the burst. If he pools, that's 20 seconds of free farm while he tower hugs. If he doesn't...well, next time he will. That or he's dead.) Rush a cutlass and enjoy your sustain.

Note that I actually play Vlad a lot more than I play Jax. And that I'm extrapolating this from my knowledge of how both champions play, as I haven't been in this specific matchup yet, from either side.

Judas Priest

07-21-2012

You are right, Vlad is a snowballing champion... in the first levels he is squishy, can't do that lot of damage etc. But I've just played a game that showed me the power of this late-game champion. I was able to score a kill around lvl 6, but his true power became after I bought this whole set:

Ionian boots os Lucidity
Will of the Ancients
Rylai's Crystal Scepter
Rabadon's Deathcap

After that, I was trully unstopable, I made the difference in some team fights.

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-21-2012

That's technically the wrong usage of "snowball". You're looking for "late game", as in "this champion becomes powerful in the late game". And yeah, that's more-or-less Vlad's core item build.

Judas Priest

07-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirielis View Post
That's technically the wrong usage of "snowball". You're looking for "late game", as in "this champion becomes powerful in the late game". And yeah, that's more-or-less Vlad's core item build.
Then what's wrong? I didn't get it.

HonorableGeneral

07-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre Judas View Post
Then what's wrong? I didn't get it.
Snowballing champions are champions who can do a ton of damage with a few kills, regardless of levels. Most AD carries are snowballers since, regardless of level, getting kills means they can complete their builds faster. Since APs like Vlad rely on levels as well as gold, they don't snowball as hard.

A Vlad with a Rabadon's Deathcap at level 1 (hypothetically) would be far, far weaker than a Graves with Infinity Edge at level 1. That's the main difference between late-game and snowball. Late-game champions NEED the late-game to do well, where snowball champions only need kills because their skills don't affect their damage output as much as they do for late-game champions.